Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2008, 08:35 PM

497 posts, read 1,693,978 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I am a 20 year old junior and I am majoring in Business Administration with a Concentration in Human Resources and a Minor in Psychology. I am planning to go to grad school at UCLA after I graduate to recieve my MBA. I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice. Should I go to grad school at UCLA full time? If I do go full time I'm not sure how I will be able to support myself financially.I can't keep living off my parents. If I do full time, do they offer campus housing for grad students? Or should I find a job in Los Angeles and go to Grad school Part time. The problem with getting a part time M.B.A. is that employers really go for applicants who attened full time. My dream is to work for disney. Also if anyone has any tips on getting in to the M.B.A. program at UCLA and how to survive while I'm in grad school that would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2008, 12:50 AM

1,338 posts, read 2,024,950 times
Well, first of all, UCLA's MBA program is really good, so unless you've got above average grades and GMAT scores, I wouldn't get my hopes up.

From what I understand about the MBA program/process, it's best suited for people who've been in the workforce for at least 3 years after undergrad. So once again, it'll also be hard to get in without this work experience.

These programs want to accept people who they think will go out there and make a lot of money, so it helps if you've been working for a number of years and are already making money. This way, their "average starting salary" statistic (which is very important in terms of reputation/ranking) is higher than if they simply let in kids fresh out of undergrad.

I'm not sure if this helped you, it probably didn't hahah, but it's just a little advice. If I were you, I'd focus on finding a good job (or any job with a future for that matter) first. Good luck.

Old 08-17-2008, 06:10 AM

5,612 posts, read 15,115,593 times
Since UCLA actively recruits undergrads, the naysayer just might be wrong. If you want in to UCLA, put your best foot forward and shw them what they'd be getting in you. Stay in touch with the recruiter, don't just allow yourself to be another application sitting on thier desk. Talk to the advisors in the department. Ask for thier advice. But don't become a pest. Anything worth doing is worth giving 100% to. If you have the opportunity, go full time. It's admirable that you don't want to keep living off of your parents, but if they are willing to support you, let them. They understand that it's temporary and they are investing in your future. They understand that you are trying accomplish a positive goal and they want to see you succeed. Trust me, you'll have plenty of time own your own not living off of your parents.

If you absolutely have to get out on your own, apply for financial aid. Or go to school part time. An MBA from UCLA will not be overlooked simply because you worked on it part-time. In fact, there are employers who will pay for you to go to school. And yes, UCLA (and all UC schools) offer Graduate housing. Good Luck.

Old 08-17-2008, 03:25 PM

Thanks for the advice!!!! I might end up having to go to grad school part time I don't think my parents can afford to support me for another 2 years. I think it will be more beneficial for me to work and attend grad school part time. I know my application has to be super competitive by me being fresh out of college. Do you have any advice on near UCLA or how to get my Car from Memphis, TN to L.A. Just any advice you can give would be helpful! My goal is to work for Disney.

Old 08-17-2008, 07:34 PM

My sister worked for Disney as a Labor Relations Manager. Good news for you is that Disney offers tuition reimbursement. Disney has two primary locales: Anaheim and Burbank. To go to UCLA you will want to work in the Burbank location. As for your car, put it on a trailer on the back of a U-Haul or if your car can tow, drive your car and tow a trailer. I would contact Disney about employment. Can your parents qualify for financial aid? It's a great help.

Old 08-18-2008, 09:58 AM

What about housing? Do you think it will be better for me to go to UCLA full time and live on campus or go part time and work for disney and get an apartment? I don't reallly have a price range as of yet for an apartment. But I would want something close to campus and in a good neighborhood and pretty close to the beach.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:22 AM

UCLA does offer Grad student housing and I would check with the housing office there to see if you qualify if you are enrolled part time. If you work for Disney in Burbank, you'll need at least $700 with a roommate and minimum $1200 to live alone. The neighborhood surrounding UCLA is one of the richest in LA so it's a very good neighborhood. And UCLA is about 15 min from the beach.

Old 08-19-2008, 12:06 PM

Thanks for the advice!! My heart is really set on moving to California! I'm a junor in college now and will be graduating with B.S. in Business Administration with a Minor in Psychology. Any tips on getting into the MBA Program at UCLA because right now I'm not really that confident in my resume. But it will be MUCH better when I graduate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles