U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 11:03 PM

23 posts, read 57,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freezer41 View Post
Where are you going to be moving from? I think you'll do fine with that salary if you get that job. Maybe look for rent in the 1200-1400 range until you work your way up the ladder

I'll be moving from Baton Rouge, LA...I'm originally from Atlanta, so the big city life doesn't scare me much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 12:28 PM

5,409 posts, read 11,068,069 times
these should be the nicer places if you are paying that much for a one bdrm. gym, pool, doorman, etc etc. but with your income, you will be able to make it in LA> and you will be able to make friends... if you wish. i echo the suggestion to cap your rent at 1500 (or less) and get accustomed to LA and all it has to offer. the shopping is a plus, but in the end, you can only fit so much clothes into a closet. its over rated. i prefer to spend money on FOOD!!! LA has a lot of good food too. good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole_bell View Post
I've been looking at several places and what I have seen for a 1 br is about 1500-1800 a month

Old 08-18-2008, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
these should be the nicer places if you are paying that much for a one bdrm. gym, pool, doorman, etc etc. but with your income, you will be able to make it in LA> and you will be able to make friends... if you wish. i echo the suggestion to cap your rent at 1500 (or less) and get accustomed to LA and all it has to offer. the shopping is a plus, but in the end, you can only fit so much clothes into a closet. its over rated. i prefer to spend money on FOOD!!! LA has a lot of good food too. good luck

Thanks a lot for all the comments! I definitely have more places to look at!

Old 08-18-2008, 02:20 PM

65 posts, read 245,654 times
I lived in LA...your experience may depend on your expectations. Where are you coming from?

Old 08-18-2008, 03:21 PM

Quote:
I'll be moving from Baton Rouge, LA...I'm originally from Atlanta, so the big city life doesn't scare me much

Old 08-18-2008, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Thanks...I have no excuse for not reading the thread, as it's only two pages long! I'm not familiar with Baton Rogue, but I moved to LA from a Northeast suburb/exurb within commuting distance to NYC. I found LA to be something between a traditional urban city and a crowded suburb. I guess my problem was that I tried to classify LA and LA culture in terms of what I was used to (East Coast). My chief complaints were the gangs (LA is the gang capital of the world) and the crowded feel (because it didn't feel like a city, but also not like a suburb) and the air quality. I actually lived outside the city, so air quality never seemed to be an issue with me (my only concern with air quality is mental...I don't want to know that I'm breathing bad air), but everyone keeps talking about it. Maybe I should've given LA more of a chance?

Old 08-18-2008, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Police View Post
Thanks...I have no excuse for not reading the thread, as it's only two pages long! I'm not familiar with Baton Rogue, but I moved to LA from a Northeast suburb/exurb within commuting distance to NYC. I found LA to be something between a traditional urban city and a crowded suburb. I guess my problem was that I tried to classify LA and LA culture in terms of what I was used to (East Coast). My chief complaints were the gangs (LA is the gang capital of the world) and the crowded feel (because it didn't feel like a city, but also not like a suburb) and the air quality. I actually lived outside the city, so air quality never seemed to be an issue with me (my only concern with air quality is mental...I don't want to know that I'm breathing bad air), but everyone keeps talking about it. Maybe I should've given LA more of a chance?
I think of LA as something new and different for me to experience as a young adult. I would never consider it somewhere that I would end up living with a family. But I'm young with no attachments, and I figure what a better time to live my life than now. I don't have the courage to move there without the security of a job, I wouldn't want the failure of moving back "in with mom."

The thing I liked about LA is that it's so diverse within a relatively small radius. You can live on the beach, or live in hollywood, or beverly hills, or something like a suburb like Pasadena...There's something for everyone there if you can afford it, hence my moving there pending job security.

As far as air quality, traffic...I'm from Atlanta...at least in LA the traffic is heavy but it moves. Imagine stand still traffic for hours...NOT FUN.

Old 08-18-2008, 03:45 PM

Since you're looking for criminalist positions, may I also suggest that you consider the quality and career prospects of the police departments you are applying to? LAPD is a great, world-renowned department, and it's a very large organization. What is the career path of a criminalist, and what are you shooting for?

Old 08-18-2008, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Police View Post
Since you're looking for criminalist positions, may I also suggest that you consider the quality an career prospects of the police departments you are applying to? LAPD is a great, world-renowned department, and it's a very large organization. What is the career path of a criminalist, and what are you shooting for?
So far I've applied to LAPD, LA Sheriff's Dept and also Orange County Sheriff's Dept. LAPD is one of the world's greatest and high-profile crime labs, which also attracts me to LA. As far as career paths, I would eventually like to be the director of a Tox or Drug unit in a major metro area lab. I don't see myself in a Lab Director's role as they are more hands off with cases and serve in a more administrative role. Oh...an expert witness too...

Old 08-18-2008, 03:50 PM

That's just in the socal area...i've applied to about 10 other labs across the world, lol...literally the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or