Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 10:18 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,563,156 times

Advertisements

A few weeks ago we met good friends from upstate New York at LAX & since it was Sunday we drove up the coast for a while. It was still before noon so PCH wasn't busy & the view toward Malibu was gorgeous. It had been a while but we decided to leave the beach & drive up Topanga canyon into the village. We were able to eat outdoors for lunch since a nice breeze kept the temp down. Afterwards we drove around the canyon & finally over the mountains and into the San Fernando valley\ Woodland Hills where it was hot but not unbearable.

The point is that our friends [who come to California for a few weeks each winter] had hesitated to visit during summer since they do not like heat. But that day was filled with the beauty of the Santa Monica Mts & bay [watched surfers & children swimming\ the drive up Topanga canyon is unreal it is so beautiful w/ steep cliffs\ big old California oaks\ ate at the Inn of the 7th Ray which is so LA - lay-back\organic\cool. Our friends where so happy to be back in Los Angeles & kept reminding us how lucky we are to live in such an interesting & scenic region of California.

Just thought I'd share this event since it seems some posters forget how really nice it is living in LA with such diversity of landforms & attractions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2008, 02:43 PM

1,287 posts, read 5,009,569 times
Thanks for your post. I've spent many a Sunday doing the exact same thing. Haven't been to the Inn of the 7th Ray in years though. Glad to hear it's still going strong. If you haven't done it, try driving along Piuma Road which twists and curves along the crest of the Santa Monica Mountains above Malibu. The views are ethereal.

Old 08-20-2008, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealAngelion View Post
Thanks for your post. I've spent many a Sunday doing the exact same thing. Haven't been to the Inn of the 7th Ray in years though. Glad to hear it's still going strong. If you haven't done it, try driving along Piuma Road which twists and curves along the crest of the Santa Monica Mountains above Malibu. The views are ethereal.
Thanks for the tip. I usually drive up to Pleasure Cove\ Mahou Riviera - the beach is fantastic w/ a great restaurant\bar. Driving Mulholland Drive all the way to Hollywood is a thrill, esp for visitors to LA.

Old 08-20-2008, 06:05 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,132,512 times
Indeed, some of best driving roads in world are a mere <30mins from LA's Westside...

Only other place in an urban region w/such interesting driving roads are the mountains above SiliconValley....

Rest of US simply lacks year-round near-perfect weather and interesting topography for such drives, esp so convenient to where millions live/work...

Old 08-20-2008, 07:23 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,812,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
Indeed, some of best driving roads in world are a mere <30mins from LA's Westside...

Only other place in an urban region w/such interesting driving roads are the mountains above SiliconValley....

Rest of US simply lacks year-round near-perfect weather and interesting topography for such drives, esp so convenient to where millions live/work...
What are some of your favorite scenic drives?

Old 08-21-2008, 12:38 AM

1,287 posts, read 5,009,569 times
Angeles Crest Hwy is another good one. You can drive all the way up to Mt. Wilson and take in the commanding view of the entire Los Angeles basin, Catalina Island, and the Pacific beyond. But of course, you've got to time it on a perfect and clear day.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:57 AM

5,612 posts, read 15,065,191 times
Yes there are oasis in the higher income places in LA. And if everyone could live that way, (and we did once upon a time) LA would still be great. I think taking one pleasant day and saying "See life is great in LA" is horribly unfair. The day you had is not day-to-day living. It's an occaisional weekend. We have had an extremely mild summer this year. My cousin LIVES in Topanga Cyn and normally during the summer the temperature is in the 90's and over 100. No one ever said LA doesn't offer great views. I like to drive through Mulholland after it rains. Or going to the Getty. There are truly amazing views. But those things offer a nice diversion from, but are not reflective of, the reality of day-to-day life in LA. Honestly, with the price of gas this summer, how often did you really get to indulge like that?

Old 08-21-2008, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
Yes there are oasis in the higher income places in LA. And if everyone could live that way, (and we did once upon a time) LA would still be great. I think taking one pleasant day and saying "See life is great in LA" is horribly unfair. The day you had is not day-to-day living. It's an occaisional weekend. We have had an extremely mild summer this year. My cousin LIVES in Topanga Cyn and normally during the summer the temperature is in the 90's and over 100. No one ever said LA doesn't offer great views. I like to drive through Mulholland after it rains. Or going to the Getty. There are truly amazing views. But those things offer a nice diversion from, but are not reflective of, the reality of day-to-day life in LA. Honestly, with the price of gas this summer, how often did you really get to indulge like that?
Gees, a drive up the Coast Highway\ canyons isn't going to cost an "arm & a leg" & that's one thing we can all do that one can't in most of the nation or even California. San Francisco\ Santa Cruz\ Santa Barbara all have great views within the city limits but Los Angeles has the most spectacular in my opinion. People in the Midwest\ East Coast get ecstatic looking down on Los Angeles from the mountains that cross right thru the city & we take it for granted.

I live near the San Gabriel Mts & am greeted with the beautiful sight of their steep majesty each day [the background of LA]. If you like driving winding roads above deep canyons [like I do] then LA is your place. Topanga Canyon looks fantastic any time of the year but during winter one can see the waterfalls & lush green mountainsides under sunny skies [it just doesn't get any better].

Do agree that this summer has been heavenly since by August people are getting eager for some cooler weather. But Topanga doesn't get as hot as Woodland Hills [less than 10 miles distance - I can't imagine living in that part of the San Fernando valley w/ constant 90's+ month after month Let me remind you that the humidity the rest of the nation must deal with each summer is far worst than our hot weather.

The reason for this post is to provide feedback about how many great places we can drive in Los Angeles to get phenomenal views [like Santa Catalina Island on a common winter day of 50 miles visibility\ light santa ana wind\ temps near 80F - it's what convinces people that they have to live in LA which they do by the millions

Old 08-21-2008, 08:39 PM

689 posts, read 2,571,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
When you move to Arkansas are you going to stop coming on here and posting your nonsense? We get it already, you don't like living here. It gets old seeing the same basic post from you in every other thread. I love living in LA and I'm not rich, yes it is possible.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:37 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,065,191 times
I won't stop posting here simply because you don't like what I post. This post prepetuates the myth that life in LA in Nirvana and just because you make enough money for the negatives to not affect your day-to-day doesn't mean it doesn't affect the majority of the rest of us. And you don't know that someone moving here will be able to make enough money to live in Nirvana. Especially those coming here to work in the entertainment field. Sorry to inject 30+ years of experience coupled with a shot of reality into this thread. You'll live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles