U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 08:48 PM

5,612 posts, read 13,240,020 times

Advertisements

This is one of the few times someone has had a decent reason to choose to live in LA. Moving here with a job is a VERY smart move. And in spite of the above post assertion, the area near the Kohl's you are currently assigned is filled with struggling college students and the rents reflect that. And no one would call Northridge, especially the area immediately surround Cal State Northridge, a dive. Come on, work at Kohl' until your boyfriend finishes his internship and go enjy life whereever the two of you plan to relocate after he's finished with school. Who knows? You may decided to take a few classes yourself. Good Luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2008, 10:44 PM

6 posts, read 8,285 times
yah i thought about it, but i think it would be better if i lived by myself for awhile. his dad pays for everything, and i don't want to date his dad, you know what i mean?No, i am NOT moving to LA to work at kohl's LOLI just know I will have that job when I go there, but i will be going to school. Just figured I'd better decide where I'm gonna be at before i decide which school to go to. My friend goes to Sanata Moncia, so I dunno.....Not sure yet. I will probably get a nurse assistant job after i'm in school long enough.so you guys think the valley and north hollywood are my best bets??

Old 08-21-2008, 01:59 PM

1 posts, read 1,080 times
If you didn't have the Kohl's job I would say live somewhere in the Westwood area as you could very easily find a place on craigslist or facebook to sublet with nice UCLA girls for $500-$700. Plus, you'd be close to your BF and close to SMC, as well as in a town with people around your age. Unfortunately, there are no Kohl's within 20+ miles but you could always find another similar job nearby (perhaps at a dept store in Westside Pavillion or the Century City mall).

Old 08-21-2008, 09:10 PM

10,752 posts, read 25,531,740 times
Commuting can take a toll in LA, so I'd say that the Valley would be better if you need to be close to Kohl's in West Hills. There are also some stores in Orange County, but you'd have to commute to your boyfriend. If you like Long Beach, there's a Kohls not too far away in Seal Beach, I think, but I'd be careful of any rent too low in Long Beach, since you really have to know what area in which the apartment is located.

Old 08-23-2008, 10:33 PM

i am going to look into the valley.which part would be the best do you think? i plan on getting a roomie after a year if i decide to stay that long lol. my friend told me the commute to work and back would be like 20 minutes if traffic wasn't bad, maybe 35. what do you guys think?

Old 08-23-2008, 10:48 PM

114 posts, read 405,707 times
Burbank would be a good choice. I'd say Studio City or Sherman Oaks, but I'm afraid it'll be too pricey.

Old 08-26-2008, 10:29 PM

Okay.....How much rent do you think I am going to have to pay? And how short of a commute would I need? I know short as possible, but how short?

Old 08-28-2008, 10:21 PM

595 posts, read 969,314 times
Traffic can be stopped bumper to bumper if a bad accident happens and a freeway is totally shut down. That's pretty much the worst case scenario.

I'd try to transfer to a Kohl's and live within a straight shot bus commute (I hate transfers) or even walking distance. I read somewhere once that Kohl's likes to expand in areas where the median income is at least $100K. But LA is weird, go a mile in one direction and homes are $3 million, go a mile in another direction and there are gunshots after dark.

Hope you find a place you like and a Kohl's that is close enough to BF.

Of course, a local fast food place, In and Out starts at about $11 an hour, and Starbuck's offers insurance after 90 days and they are very flexible with student's schedules. Just wanted to throw that out there since you're considering going to school yourself.

But I understand the appeal of working at Kohl's. I'm so glad they expanded out here.

Last edited by PinkElephant; 08-28-2008 at 10:23 PM.. Reason: Add last sentence.

Old 09-02-2008, 12:02 AM

okay so.....where is the best place for me to look for a place? What websites should I look at? There are SOOO many to choose from. I will definitely fly out and have my bf look at it with me before i pay any money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or