Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Los Angeles: safe areas, traffic, learn languages, housing, immigrating to America.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 11:54 AM

127 posts, read 500,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lc6x View Post

any blacks dragged over in chains,their children and grandchildren,great grandchildren have it much better here than starving in africa or having a 18 year lifespan their!
How sick!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2008, 08:08 PM

16 posts, read 33,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lc6x
You are both wrong. There is one group of people (Black people) who are NOT immigrants. Being dragged over in chains and forced into slavery does not count as immigration.

any blacks dragged over in chains,their children and grandchildren,great grandchildren have it much better here than starving in africa or having a 18 year lifespan their!

Says the card carrying member of the KKK. Or is it the Aryian Nation.

wrong on both accusations,slavery was wrong but unless you were an actual slave get over it already.you won't be successful until you do!

Old 08-24-2008, 08:23 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,113,639 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lc6x
You are both wrong. There is one group of people (Black people) who are NOT immigrants. Being dragged over in chains and forced into slavery does not count as immigration.

Says the card carrying member of the KKK. Or is it the Aryian Nation.

wrong on both accusations,slavery was wrong but unless you were an actual slave get over it already.you won't be successful until you do!
Who says I'm unsuccessful? Tell the jewish people to "get over" the Holocaust.

As a White person in this country, you can't begin to understand the ramifications that treating people like cattle for generations, raising generations with that mentality and then telling them "you're free go fend for yourselves". All the while, still treating them like second class citizens, denying them basic human rights for more generations and then expecting them to act as though none of that happened is beyond ridiculous.

Old 08-24-2008, 09:09 PM

16 posts, read 33,343 times
get over it already.you won't be successful until you do!

Old 08-25-2008, 02:01 AM

111 posts, read 466,410 times
cespeed youve been "very soon" moving to AR for awhile.....when is that actually going to happen? Also, will you continue to constantly use your race card there as well? I assume you will probably have more relevant reasons to use it there since its more conservative...that equals a field day for you huh!....i would think that'd hopefully give you more motivation to leave this state quicker...

Last edited by woogexx; 08-25-2008 at 02:14 AM..

Old 08-25-2008, 08:49 AM

Quote:
get over it already.you won't be successful until you do!
Excellent vocabulary skills.

To woogexx, I'll move on my schedule, not yours.

Since when is pointing out a historical fact "playing the race card"? The facts are the Africans who originally came to the US did not come voluntarily...they were forced to. Therefore, they, nor their descendants, can be considered immigrants.

Old 08-25-2008, 09:33 AM

1,714 posts, read 6,054,166 times
Definitions of Immigrant on the Web:Now those are several definitions of "immigrant". It would seem, therefore, that immigrant status pretty much ends after the first generation, and doesn't address the question of intent. If you were born there and moved here, you're an immigrant, irrespective of your desire or lack-of-desire to take this move. If you were born HERE and move THERE, you're an emigrant.

Old 08-25-2008, 08:32 PM

Making the argument longer doesn't make it less ignorant or RIGHT. But since I'm have nothing else to do to at the moment let's examine the extent of your wrongness:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timelesschild View Post
Definitions of Immigrant on the Web:Blacks not recognized as full citizens until 1964.On what planet does the word "come" not mean "willingness"?I think LACK OF FREEDOM to terminate work is a BIG restriction.
  • A person who is (or has been) a landed immigrant, that is, a person who has been granted the right to live in Canada permanently by Canadian immigration authorities. ...www.bcstats.gov.bc.ca/glossary.asp
A definition from Canada? Revelance?
  • this is a technical legal term which means a foreign national who has been granted permission to remain in the United States permanently, that is a “legal permanent resident” or “green card holder” and as such is distinguished from a “non-immigrant” who comes to the United States on ...
    www.immigrationequality.org/template.php
In order for one to be granted permission, one has to ask to be here. (I don't think being dragged kicking and screaming is asking to be here)Wouldn't that mean that Black are citizens of whatever African country we were ripped from?Relevance?Again, I refer back to Civil Rights Acts of 1964
Relevance?
"Comes to" means "voluntary" entry. I think the number of runaways makes the intention of the slaves very clear.Again, the words "comes to" not "dragged to"
  • Immigration refers to the movement of people between countries. While the movement of people has existed throughout human history at various levels, modern immigration implies long-term, legal, permanent residence. ...
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immigrant
This is the only definition that can be stretched to fit slavery.
  • A person who comes to a country to permanently settle from another country; A plant or animal that establishes itself in an area where it previously did not exist; Of or relating to immigrants or the act of immigrating en.wiktionary.org/wiki/immigrant
Again, "comes to" not "dragged to".

Now those are several definitions of "immigrant". It would seem, therefore, that immigrant status pretty much ends after the first generation, and doesn't address the question of intent. If you were born there and moved here, you're an immigrant, irrespective of your desire or lack-of-desire to take this move. If you were born HERE and move THERE, you're an emigrant.
Nice try.

Old 08-25-2008, 08:50 PM

1,749 posts, read 8,337,388 times
There's one troll with 3 different identities posting in this thread. Just sayin'.

Old 08-26-2008, 04:04 AM

488 posts, read 1,513,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timelesschild View Post
How can you describe what it's like? I keep coming back to how beautiful it is. The mountains, the hills, the trees laden with fruits and flowers. I like the mix of housing styles - Spanish, Craftsman, and Modern are the dominant styles, perhaps; certainly not the only ones. I love the palm trees. The lush landscaping of every kind just keeps me in awe.

I love the hillside seashore towns and the wildlife. We have parrots, a skunk and a huge fat raccoon in our yard. I think they live on fruit from the trees.

I love the wide variety of things to do and the amazing array of languages spoken. I came prepared to need Spanish - Spanish is a drop in the bucket compared to Chinese, Korean, Armenian, .... .... .... I have heard people walking around chattering brightly in Russian, French, Japanese and German, within the same 5 minutes.

Do you like shopping? Here it is. Mountains and ocean? Here they are. Culture? Here it is. Concerts? Museums? Here they are. Amazing economic opportunities like no other place on earth? Right here.

Ordinary random people continually tell me, "welcome to California." It's like part of the culture to welcome newcomers. It's a city of newcomers, all welcoming each other. Oh, don't get me wrong. There are people who have lived here for 3, 4, 5 generations. My uncle is one. I love to hear his stories of dancing at the Cocoanut Grove when he was a young man, back in the day.

I love the forested hills right in the middle of this world-class city! It totally amazes me to be in the countryside in the middle of town!!!!

Did I mention food? Oh, good grief, get ready for some amazing food.

Traffic - lacklustre public transit - housing woes - illegal immigrants - crime - grafitti - yep, they're all here too. There just isn't any way to describe this city in a few short sentences or a few short posts, which is why we all keep reading, writing, and talking about it, I suppose.
Great! You hit on many of the things I moved here for and also many of the things I discovered that I never expected. I love the language thing as well. I bookmarked a Armenian language site as well as a Spanish language site as soon as I realized how cool the diversity was in my neighborhood. I tried out some Armenian greetings with some folks on my block and was warmly welcomed. Had a great conversation as well as some much needed lessons in pronunciation. It's not all about "Hollywood", but I love that too.

Last edited by msnorman67; 08-26-2008 at 04:06 AM.. Reason: quality
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles