U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Los Angeles: safe areas, traffic, learn languages, housing, immigrating to America.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 04:00 PM

4,828 posts, read 6,791,262 times

Advertisements

I mainly post in the immigration forum and from what i have heard, L.A is a very horrible place to live. I just want hear from you guys how life is really like in L.A.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2008, 04:14 PM

291 posts, read 761,366 times
It's horrible. Almost everyone in LA is either an immigrant or a descendant of one.

Old 08-19-2008, 04:16 PM

53 posts, read 135,789 times
garxhap are you a native american?

Old 08-19-2008, 04:43 PM

7,091 posts, read 18,421,358 times
I happen to like my life here in LA quite a bit. I think a majority of the LA haters are people who have spent a good portion of there lives here and don't like the changes that LA has gone through in past X years. I also know plenty of people who don't remember or weren't around for the "good ole days" who also happen to enjoy LA. Anyways, there are certainly much, much worse places to live in this country, let alone the rest of the world.

Old 08-19-2008, 05:14 PM

13,692 posts, read 15,117,815 times
I've lived in Los Angeles for 20 years and I think the worst bits about L.A. is traffic, or when you're in the mood for a quick hamburger or something - going through a drive-thru at any fast food restaurant and not having the correct order when you pick it up because the person working inside doesn't understand English, walking into a fast food restaurant and having to explain in detail your order because they don't understand you when you speak English.

Bottom line, learn Spanish if you want to communicate with the majority of people in Los Angeles, don't go to fast food restaurants, and don't drive.

Old 08-19-2008, 05:35 PM

1,712 posts, read 5,341,046 times
Default Notes from a newcomer

How can you describe what it's like? I keep coming back to how beautiful it is. The mountains, the hills, the trees laden with fruits and flowers. I like the mix of housing styles - Spanish, Craftsman, and Modern are the dominant styles, perhaps; certainly not the only ones. I love the palm trees. The lush landscaping of every kind just keeps me in awe.

I love the hillside seashore towns and the wildlife. We have parrots, a skunk and a huge fat raccoon in our yard. I think they live on fruit from the trees.

I love the wide variety of things to do and the amazing array of languages spoken. I came prepared to need Spanish - Spanish is a drop in the bucket compared to Chinese, Korean, Armenian, .... .... .... I have heard people walking around chattering brightly in Russian, French, Japanese and German, within the same 5 minutes.

Do you like shopping? Here it is. Mountains and ocean? Here they are. Culture? Here it is. Concerts? Museums? Here they are. Amazing economic opportunities like no other place on earth? Right here.

Ordinary random people continually tell me, "welcome to California." It's like part of the culture to welcome newcomers. It's a city of newcomers, all welcoming each other. Oh, don't get me wrong. There are people who have lived here for 3, 4, 5 generations. My uncle is one. I love to hear his stories of dancing at the Cocoanut Grove when he was a young man, back in the day.

I love the forested hills right in the middle of this world-class city! It totally amazes me to be in the countryside in the middle of town!!!!

Did I mention food? Oh, good grief, get ready for some amazing food.

Traffic - lacklustre public transit - housing woes - illegal immigrants - crime - grafitti - yep, they're all here too. There just isn't any way to describe this city in a few short sentences or a few short posts, which is why we all keep reading, writing, and talking about it, I suppose.

Old 08-20-2008, 01:28 AM

242 posts, read 332,519 times
For me describing L.A. really depends on where you are in your life. I lived there off and on for about five years during graduate school. I very much enjoyed my time near Santa Monica but disliked my time in Long Beach and Pasadena. It was very hard adjusting to the city because it was quite different than what I was expecting. Not to beat a dead horse, but the immigration issue was much more significant than I anticipated it would be. Overall, I think L.A. is a great place to enjoy your life when you are young and single. However, if you want to settle down and raise a family, I honestly couldn't think of too many worse places (unless you are very, very wealthy).

Old 08-20-2008, 02:15 AM

1,070 posts, read 2,883,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garxhap View Post
It's horrible. Almost everyone in LA is either an immigrant or a descendant of one.
I have news for you everyone in the USA is either an immigrant or the descendant of one.
Even the Native American Indians wandered in from Siberia about 50,000 years ago.

Last edited by impala666; 08-20-2008 at 02:37 AM..

Old 08-20-2008, 08:59 AM

5,612 posts, read 13,240,020 times
Originally Posted by garxhap

Quote:
Originally Posted by impala666 View Post
I have news for you everyone in the USA is either an immigrant or the descendant of one.
Even the Native American Indians wandered in from Siberia about 50,000 years ago.
You are both wrong. There is one group of people (Black people) who are NOT immigrants. Being dragged over in chains and forced into slavery does not count as immigration.

Old 08-20-2008, 09:07 AM

5,612 posts, read 13,240,020 times
To answer the OP, life in LA is over hyped. People come here with stars in their eyes thinking that they are the next big thing, thinking they'll see a celebrity on every corner and that money grows on trees. The truth is LA is a patchwork quilt. The more money you have, the better you'll like it because you can afford to elevate yourself above the life you the average person. For the average or poor person, LA can suck. Housing is outrageously expensive, public transportation is unreliable and the healthier food is for you, the more expensive it is. Everything here cost more than most of the US. If you can't afford to pay double what something is worth, you will get in worst service. Even you can speak Spanish, the illegals and their legal counterparts are discriminatory. They are very rude to anyone who is not of Hispanic descent. And the "no speak English" is bull. They speak it well enough to find every free piece of money out there, so much to the point where people who have paid taxes into the system they are draining can't benefit from their tax dollars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles