Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2008, 06:11 PM

338 posts, read 609,034 times

Advertisements

Here in NJ, the road signs on the highways shows the cities/towns... in South Florida 95% of the road signs show for BLVD/ROAD/STREET etc.
How is it in LA area?
When is the rush hour/bad traffic in LA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2008, 06:26 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,353,152 times
In L.A. the freeway signs (for exits) show the street names like - Sunset Blvd. (exit off the 101). The state signs that are sometimes next to them strung across the freeway will say Sacramento 5 North - if they're headed toward the next major city.

Rush hour starts around 3pm and lasts till 7pm. (from what I have observed).

I would think that if you're in South Florida all the signs for major cities will be headed north, since you're pretty much as far south as you can get all the exits would be for Streets, Avenues or Boulevards. Right?

Old 08-19-2008, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
In L.A. the freeway signs (for exits) show the street names like - Sunset Blvd. (exit off the 101). The state signs that are sometimes next to them strung across the freeway will say Sacramento 5 North - if they're headed toward the next major city.

Rush hour starts around 3pm and lasts till 7pm. (from what I have observed).

I would think that if you're in South Florida all the signs for major cities will be headed north, since you're pretty much as far south as you can get all the exits would be for Streets, Avenues or Boulevards. Right?
In NJ, all highways shows exit signs of cities only.
In S. Florida I just saw St, Av, Blvd.

So in LA it´s same as S. FL? Right?

Old 08-19-2008, 06:48 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,030,876 times
Well, like if you're going down the 10 freeway it might say something like (I'm making this up at random) "West Covina next 5 exits". Then you'll get the street-name exits. Make sense?

I was just on the 210, 134, and 2 freeways today. Some signs alluded to city names, and others to street names. Street names were slightly more prevalent.

Then... going down the 5 freeway, some of the exits are named for the towns, and others are named for the streets. Bottom line: you have to take each case on an individual basis, I think.

The Thomas Guide shows the exit numbers on the map, and those help. When you match up that number with the street name you're heading for, you know you're getting the right one. It really isn't hard.

Old 08-19-2008, 06:51 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,398,010 times
Why on earth would you want an exit sign that only shows the city???

For example, there are hundreds of freeways exits for the city of Los Angeles, but if each freeway exit said "Los Angeles," how would you know which one to get off at?
My own suburban city in Orange County has eight freeway exits. If each one said "Mission Viejo," friends and family would not know which of those eights exits to get off the freeway at.

When exits are labeled by street, it is much more specific. You tell people "Get off at Santa Monica Blvd." or "Get off the freeway at Alicia Parkway," etc... instead of "Get off at city of Los Angeles." Remember, cities are big here, not a bunch of small ones like in New Jersey.

LA's freeways are some of the easiest to navigate in the world and very clear so don't worry.

Old 08-19-2008, 07:00 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,353,152 times
The exits in Los Angeles have the street name, driving to Palm Springs, there are exits that simply say "Palm Desert / 21-A" - and the directions will tell you "take the Palm Desert exit 21-A" or something like that.

Old 08-19-2008, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhome View Post
Why on earth would you want an exit sign that only shows the city???

For example, there are hundreds of freeways exits for the city of Los Angeles, but if each freeway exit said "Los Angeles," how would you know which one to get off at?
My own suburban city in Orange County has eight freeway exits. If each one said "Mission Viejo," friends and family would not know which of those eights exits to get off the freeway at.

When exits are labeled by street, it is much more specific. You tell people "Get off at Santa Monica Blvd." or "Get off the freeway at Alicia Parkway," etc... instead of "Get off at city of Los Angeles." Remember, cities are big here, not a bunch of small ones like in New Jersey.

LA's freeways are some of the easiest to navigate in the world and very clear so don't worry.
Well I understand you. But it is also hard to know what city/town you are in or want to enter. If it for example says ''Santa Monica -->'' and after you enter the exit sign, then it should OF COURSE say the street signs after you enter the exit for Santa Monica. For example, how the hell would I know what city belongs to sunset blvd if your not native from that place.
Well, both cities and streets should be on signs, but most cities.

Old 08-19-2008, 07:47 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,030,876 times
The thing you're going to want to do, is mapquest your destination and follow the directions. Or use a Thomas Guide. Are you thinking of just sort of driving around? Then the Thomas Guide will help you most.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:42 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,398,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattias View Post
Well I understand you. But it is also hard to know what city/town you are in or want to enter. If it for example says ''Santa Monica -->'' and after you enter the exit sign, then it should OF COURSE say the street signs after you enter the exit for Santa Monica. For example, how the hell would I know what city belongs to sunset blvd if your not native from that place.
Well, both cities and streets should be on signs, but most cities.
Along the freeway there are signs that identify "city limits." All exits past this sign are within the city limits identified on the sign until you get to a new city limit sign identifying the beginning of a new city.

Here is an example of one for the city of Santa Ana just south of LA. All exits along the freeway past this sign would be within the city of Santa Ana until you get to a new city limit sign identifying a new city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles