U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Old 08-19-2008, 07:17 PM
1 posts, read 3,232 times
Reputation: 10


My Fiance and I are living in a non-rent controlled duplex in Silver Lake and our building is on the market. The building was torn down and rebuilt in the 90's making it exempt from rent control. We love the place but aren't sure what is going to happen with a new owner. The lease is long over and we've been month to month for about 2 years. Can a new landlord just gives us a 30-day notice and be done with us? Would they have to pay a relocation fee? could they raise the rent to whatever they desire? What right's do we have?

Any help with these questions or anything I'm forgetting would be awesome!
Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2008, 08:04 PM
2,516 posts, read 7,549,787 times
Reputation: 2394
yes, the new owner can give you notice to vacate and be done with you if they have other plans for the property, or simply don't want you there. in most circumstances, you are entitled to 60 days' notice.

no, you are not entitled to relocation fees, unless the building is going condo.

yes, they can raise the rent as high as they like. you are entitled to a 60-day notice if the increase exceeds 10%.

the new owner has the right to request that you sign a new term lease. if he does not, the terms of your original lease (plus addenda, if applicable) govern your continued tenancy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2008, 08:13 PM
Location: Hot Springs, AR
5,612 posts, read 13,240,020 times
Reputation: 3740
You should ask the current owner if s/he plans to have of your current agreement being "grandfathered". But beware your current owner may tell you what s/he needs to because having a full building with long term tenant can be very attractive so s/he will be motivated to lie to keep you there. You really need to consult an attorney. Legal Aid or the Free Clinic can answer this basic question. Even a realtor can be of assistance. Good Luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top