U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 01:58 PM

686 posts, read 2,204,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbergen View Post
thanks for the info. yeah, i definitely need to drive along mulholland drive and then switch off to some side streets to see if i can find that 360 degree panorama of the ocean and basin. it's kind of a quixotic quest, though so hopefully someone can help me narrow it down some more. thanks again.
Try Piuma Road from Cold Canyon to Rambla Pacifico. There are a few spots along this road where you can see both the valley and the ocean, not sure if any of it is 360 degrees. Schueren Road and Saddle Peak Road both also wind along the top of the ridge to the east of Piuma.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 02:13 PM

1,538 posts, read 5,131,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetscenes View Post
Try Piuma Road from Cold Canyon to Rambla Pacifico. There are a few spots along this road where you can see both the valley and the ocean, not sure if any of it is 360 degrees. Schueren Road and Saddle Peak Road both also wind along the top of the ridge to the east of Piuma.
cool, thx

Old 08-22-2008, 03:14 PM

10,752 posts, read 25,531,740 times
In the Palisades, you might be thinking about something around Topanga State Park. Perhaps the Paseo Miramar area is the view you found in the 90s, with city to ocean vistas. I wouldn't call it a 360-degree view, since you don't get the Valley. Another area in the Palisades to check would be off Palisades Drive possibly somewhere near the Temescal Canyon Fire Road.

Mulholland on a clear day, however, can give you the views.

Old 08-22-2008, 03:43 PM

1,538 posts, read 5,131,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
In the Palisades, you might be thinking about something around Topanga State Park. Perhaps the Paseo Miramar area is the view you found in the 90s, with city to ocean vistas. I wouldn't call it a 360-degree view, since you don't get the Valley. Another area in the Palisades to check would be off Palisades Drive possibly somewhere near the Temescal Canyon Fire Road.

Mulholland on a clear day, however, can give you the views.
awesome, thanks. that's almost certainly the area i was in when i caught those views.

with so many windy streets in that general vicinity, it's hard to discern which streets lead further up and which ones circle back down and/or don't provide those vistas. so thanks again.

Old 08-22-2008, 11:24 PM

10,752 posts, read 25,531,740 times
Indeed, the roads can be confusing leading up from Sunset in particular, since some don't go very far. It will be interesting to see if you can find the same view again, since it's always fun to do that sort of spotting in the LA region. Good luck with the hunt!

Old 08-23-2008, 02:47 AM

2,798 posts, read 9,705,782 times
It's true, there are some awesome drives in the Santa Monica Mountains. My favorites include Yerba Buena between the coast and Circle X Ranch. Also among my favorites -- but not for the faint of heart or those nervous about high vistas and steep, curvy, narrow roads -- Deer Creek Road and Decker Canyon.

Old 08-23-2008, 03:23 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 6,200,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LASam View Post
What are some of your favorite scenic drives?
I'm more into roads that are empty, smooth, twisty and w/many elevation&camber changes...and less about seeing an Ocean or a dramatic view as I drive....

Am in LA on some weekends; usually hit various Malibu cyn roads (the usual suspects; have yet to discover an undiscovered gem) <<8AM to get a drive before the crowds wake up...

In SF, I do nearly the same run up and down the Woodside mountains (from Woodside to PCH) every wkend early AM I'm in town...

I find the truly scenic drives (like PCH along much of CA coast) are too distracting for fun, precise driving...

But, after yrs living in NYC as a car nut (pure torture), I find life in SF/LA to be paradise for a car guy....so many amazing roads throughout CA to enjoy...and many quite convenient to many homes/offices....my ADD prevents me from driving to Podunk to find roads...

Old 08-23-2008, 11:09 PM

5,031 posts, read 11,056,046 times
Another great drive is in San Diego county on Route 78 from Oceanside inland thru Escondido & up into the foothills. You climb a winding road through groves of avocado trees around Ramona & then up into the coast mountains to Julian at over 4000' [with apple orchards]. But the thrill only now begins with an incredible decline from mountain top down into the Salton Basin [over 200' below sea level. Route 78 winds down very mountain sides and the forest trees are replaced by cactus & beautiful ocotillo plants. It is such a dramatic change into starkly beautiful desert. I've driven it many times but recommend not during summer [once I left Julian when it was in the 80's only to drive into the inferno w/ Salton seaside temp well over 110

Old 08-24-2008, 08:48 AM

5,612 posts, read 13,240,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
Who said I couldn't afford a 20 mile drive? And who says I don't have a car?

You should read my first post in this thread. I remember writing and I quote, "No one ever said LA doesn't offer great views. I like to drive through Mulholland after it rains. Or going to the Getty. There are truly amazing views. (How do I do this without a car?) But those things offer a nice diversion from, but are not reflective of, the reality of day-to-day life in LA. Honestly, with the price of gas this summer, how often did you really get to indulge like that?"

I, like most responsible people, prioritize my spending. My retirement plan is not to live off of my kids. So when gas is creeping up to $5 a gallon, I consider a nice drive up the coast a mini vacation and not something to do everyday.
I think it's interesting that when I point that you are wrong, you have nothing more to say.

Old 08-24-2008, 10:20 AM

5,031 posts, read 11,056,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
I think it's interesting that when I point that you are wrong, you have nothing more to say.
I admit you wrote positive statements about Los Angeles as you have pointed out but looking thru the vast amount of your posts & one sees a pattern of negativity that [in many cases] doesn't even make sense - thus loss of credibility].
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles