Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 09:56 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,257,160 times

Advertisements

That does sound like a great day in Topanga. I also love to drive PCH and into the hills, and Mulholland on its entire length is something that I have always loved about LA, and even now when I am not there as much I still find time to take the drive and think with the top down. It's really special, especially the vistas when descending towards PCH and the views over the Valley on the eastern end, day or night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2008, 10:24 PM

689 posts, read 2,572,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
I won't stop posting here simply because you don't like what I post. This post prepetuates the myth that life in LA in Nirvana and just because you make enough money for the negatives to not affect your day-to-day doesn't mean it doesn't affect the majority of the rest of us. And you don't know that someone moving here will be able to make enough money to live in Nirvana. Especially those coming here to work in the entertainment field. Sorry to inject 30+ years of experience coupled with a shot of reality into this thread. You'll live.
I don't remember reading that LA is Nirvana, it's just LA and most of us love living here. And no, it's not that I "make engough money for the negatives to not affect your day-to-day." My wife and I both work hard, have made the most of our opportunities and consider oursevles solidly middle class. We are not the ultra rich that you constantly say one needs to be to enjoy life here. Yes there are negatives to living here (as there are to living any place). It's just at the end of the day when I do my tally sheet the positives far out weigh the negatives and so I happily stay.

I look forward to you moving to Arkansas and letting the rest of us know your honest opinion of your new home.

Old 08-21-2008, 10:37 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,568,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
I won't stop posting here simply because you don't like what I post. This post prepetuates the myth that life in LA in Nirvana and just because you make enough money for the negatives to not affect your day-to-day doesn't mean it doesn't affect the majority of the rest of us. And you don't know that someone moving here will be able to make enough money to live in Nirvana. Especially those coming here to work in the entertainment field. Sorry to inject 30+ years of experience coupled with a shot of reality into this thread. You'll live.
You wouldn't admit it even if you liked it here so your credibility takes a dive. Man, if things are so hard-up that you can't afford a 20 mile drive up to Malibu then don't blame Los Angeles for my misery. Maybe Arkansas will be less expensive for you but without a car you will be in the same boat [and probably blame Arkansas for your sadness

Old 08-21-2008, 11:07 PM

689 posts, read 2,572,649 times
And now back to the original theme of the thread, great drives in LA (if you can afford the gas). Here are some streets, drives, etc. that I think show off what LA is all about. Most of these aren't as scenic as Topanga Canyon but they will give you part of the LA flavor. In no particular order.

The entire length of Sunset Blvd. Start at the 110 where Cesar Chavez turns into Sunset and have lunch or dinner at Gladstones. You will definetly see some of the not so Nirvana parts of LA.

Ocean Blvd from San Pedro, over the Vincent Thomas Bridge through Long Beach to Belmont Shores. No toll going in this direction, great views of the LA/Long Beach harbor.

La Brea Ave/Hawthorne Blvd. Start at Franklin Avenue head south on La Brea. La Brea turns into Hawthorne at Century Boulevard in Inglewood. Goes all the way to Palos Verdes.

Huntington Drive. Start at Soto and head east through South Pas, San Marino, Arcadia. Turns into Foothill Blvd near the 605.

Whittier Blvd. Start on 6th street in downtown and head east over LA River, go through east LA all the way to Whitter and the Orange county line.

Sand Canyon/Little Tujunga from Santa Clarita to Lake View Terrace.

Old 08-22-2008, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetscenes View Post
And now back to the original theme of the thread, great drives in LA (if you can afford the gas). Here are some streets, drives, etc. that I think show off what LA is all about. Most of these aren't as scenic as Topanga Canyon but they will give you part of the LA flavor. In no particular order.

The entire length of Sunset Blvd. Start at the 110 where Cesar Chavez turns into Sunset and have lunch or dinner at Gladstones. You will definitely see some of the not so Nirvana parts of LA.

Ocean Blvd from San Pedro, over the Vincent Thomas Bridge through Long Beach to Belmont Shores. No toll going in this direction, great views of the LA/Long Beach harbor.

La Brea Ave/Hawthorne Blvd. Start at Franklin Avenue head south on La Brea. La Brea turns into Hawthorne at Century Boulevard in Inglewood. Goes all the way to Palos Verdes.

Huntington Drive. Start at Soto and head east through South Pas, San Marino, Arcadia. Turns into Foothill Blvd near the 605.

Whittier Blvd. Start on 6th street in downtown and head east over LA River, go through east LA all the way to Whitter and the Orange county line.

Sand Canyon/Little Tujunga from Santa Clarita to Lake View Terrace.
Those are all great drives though I haven't taken all of them end-to-end.

Also Wilshire Blvd from downtown to Santa Monica is fantastic as you drive thru some very interesting neighborhoods. I like to begin where Figueroa & Wilshire cross downtown. With all the high-rise construction downtown you get the feel how things are changing fast [esp at night when so many people are out on the street. The Latino influence is very strong around MacArthur Pk with some nice palm trees & lake. You pass the La Brea tar pits\ county art museum [w/ it's new construction complete] cross some interesting streets [La Cienega-San Vincente] on into Beverly Hills & across Santa Monica Blvd. I love how Wilshire transforms into high-rise apartments in Westwood\ pass UCLA\ Veterans Hospital & on into Santa Monica. The drive right up to Palisades Pk overlooking the beach & Pacific Ocean is beautiful. It's a great drive I enjoy taking on weekends [not during the week unless after evening rush hour].

If a person has plenty of time than I would also recommend taking Sepulveda Blvd from Mission Hills\San Fernando all the way to Torrance.

Old 08-22-2008, 03:12 AM

1,542 posts, read 6,018,047 times
can anyone recommend a good spot on top of the mountains in pacific palisades or malibu (or somewhere in that general vicinity) that has a 360 degree panoramic view all around it - meaning that you can simultaneously look down at the pacific ocean on one side and the la basin/downtown la below on the other side? of the area's many scenic drives and lookout spots, the one thing i've been looking for more than anything else is that perfect spot where i can take in that kind of vista.

i could swear that the first time i visited la in the mid-90s, i found a place with those views while randomly driving around the pacific palisades area, but i haven't found it since then and am wondering if my memory is deceiving me. i asked my la native friends about this, but no one's really sure where to direct me.

thanks for any tips!

Old 08-22-2008, 09:42 AM

1,069 posts, read 3,261,688 times
The drive down Zuma Ridge Rd off Encinal Canyon Rd into the back end of Point Dume near the high school is also pretty awesome, did it on a dirt bike a few weeks ago and the views are spectacular.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:51 AM

5,612 posts, read 15,069,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
You wouldn't admit it even if you liked it here so your credibility takes a dive. Man, if things are so hard-up that you can't afford a 20 mile drive up to Malibu then don't blame Los Angeles for my misery. Maybe Arkansas will be less expensive for you but without a car you will be in the same boat [and probably blame Arkansas for your sadness
Who said I couldn't afford a 20 mile drive? And who says I don't have a car?

You should read my first post in this thread. I remember writing and I quote, "No one ever said LA doesn't offer great views. I like to drive through Mulholland after it rains. Or going to the Getty. There are truly amazing views. (How do I do this without a car?) But those things offer a nice diversion from, but are not reflective of, the reality of day-to-day life in LA. Honestly, with the price of gas this summer, how often did you really get to indulge like that?"

I, like most responsible people, priorotize my spending. My retirement plan is not to live off of my kids. So when gas is creeping up to $5 a gallon, I consider a nice drive up the coast a mini vacation and not something to do everyday.

Old 08-22-2008, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbergen View Post
can anyone recommend a good spot on top of the mountains in pacific palisades or malibu (or somewhere in that general vicinity) that has a 360 degree panoramic view all around it - meaning that you can simultaneously look down at the pacific ocean on one side and the la basin/downtown la below on the other side? of the area's many scenic drives and lookout spots, the one thing i've been looking for more than anything else is that perfect spot where i can take in that kind of vista.

i could swear that the first time i visited la in the mid-90s, i found a place with those views while randomly driving around the pacific palisades area, but i haven't found it since then and am wondering if my memory is deceiving me. i asked my la native friends about this, but no one's really sure where to direct me.

thanks for any tips!
I'm sure someone can point you in the right direction. If you are driving in the Malibu hills, once you reach mountain-top the view of both the Pacific & San Fernando valley is incredible. But to see the LA Basin\ ocean\ and San Fernando valley you will need to take Mulholland Drive & up in the foothils above Santa Monica. On super clear days w/ 50 miles visibility, one can see the entire basin\ Catalina Is\ San Gabriel valley & Mojave desert up at Mt Wilson & that's a great drive\ Angeles Crest highway.

Old 08-22-2008, 02:36 PM

1,542 posts, read 6,018,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
I'm sure someone can point you in the right direction. If you are driving in the Malibu hills, once you reach mountain-top the view of both the Pacific & San Fernando valley is incredible. But to see the LA Basin\ ocean\ and San Fernando valley you will need to take Mulholland Drive & up in the foothils above Santa Monica. On super clear days w/ 50 miles visibility, one can see the entire basin\ Catalina Is\ San Gabriel valley & Mojave desert up at Mt Wilson & that's a great drive\ Angeles Crest highway.
thanks for the info. yeah, i definitely need to drive along mulholland drive and then switch off to some side streets to see if i can find that 360 degree panorama of the ocean and basin. it's kind of a quixotic quest, though so hopefully someone can help me narrow it down some more. thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles