U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 04:16 PM

1 posts, read 20,192 times

Advertisements

We're new to LA, need to rent a house, and are wondering if the following areas are considered "ghetto" or just "working class" (where I'd define "ghetto" as sketchy area where your neighbors would break-in your house):

Reseda
West Hills
North Hills
Panorama City
Van Nuys
North Hollywood
Valley Village

Any info is greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2007, 05:32 PM

18 posts, read 89,845 times
Of those areas you listed, Valley Village and West Hills are the ones with probably the least amount of 'sketchy' neighborhoods. Valley Village is very nice, but expensive. I would avoid Panorama City and North Hills, if possible.

The other areas are by no means 'ghetto'. It's really more of a 'by street' basis of bad areas. One or two streets are nice, the next two might not be so nice. For the most part, the closer you get to Ventura Blvd., the better the streets. Hope that helps a little.

Old 01-30-2007, 05:51 PM

989 posts, read 4,128,773 times
from a suburban point of view..

Ghetto?
Reseda-yes
West Hills-no
North Hills-yes
Panorama City-yes
Van Nuys-yes
North Hollywood-yes
Valley Village-no

Old 01-31-2007, 02:38 AM

5,405 posts, read 7,893,351 times
i dont know much about the valley personall, except for what my close friends and family have told me and i tend to think all the valley is trash really. sure there are nice areas, but why would i want to go to the valley? what is there to do? my cousin patrols the devonshire precinct and he tells me some unbelievable stories. i feel safer in south central.

Old 01-31-2007, 02:49 AM

989 posts, read 4,128,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
i feel safer in south central.
Comparing South Central to SFV is like comparing "apples to oranges". SFV was built as a bedroom community, and (i think) seems to be better planned. South Central is more urban, and was planned as a mix-use area(but never took off). It is surounded by LA, LB, SE LA County, and LAX. I'm not too sure that if I feel safer "rollin' wit- my homies" in Compton, than in Slymar. The buildings in South Central are so old and are deteriorating. Atleast in the Valley, there's some new construction. Have you been to the West Valley recently? It is actually pretty nice.

Old 02-01-2007, 01:34 AM

202 posts, read 594,815 times
How's it over there in Canoga Park?

Old 02-01-2007, 07:48 PM

7 posts, read 46,678 times
Canoga Park has its good and bad parts. There are alot of condo developments going up around the Westfield Shopping Center and they have cleaned up some of the areas on Sherman Way. However there are still a fair number of gangs in Canoga Park in the apartment laden areas north of Vanowen...

Old 02-01-2007, 09:42 PM

276 posts, read 765,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newportbeachsmostwanted View Post
from a suburban point of view..

Ghetto?
Reseda-yes
West Hills-no
North Hills-yes
Panorama City-yes
Van Nuys-yes
North Hollywood-yes
Valley Village-no
well, i wouldnt live in any of those areas listed

Old 02-01-2007, 11:19 PM

3,146 posts, read 5,123,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clnconcpts View Post
well, i wouldnt live in any of those areas listed
You didn't overlook West Hills, did you? West Hills is thought of as a nice area.

Old 02-02-2007, 05:48 PM

10 posts, read 62,558 times
I don't know about the others you listed, but Van Nuys North Hollywood and Valley Village are all sort of mixed nice and not so nice, and even the not so nice probably wouldn't qualify for my definition of ghetto (I live in Studio City).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles