Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 07:53 PM

63 posts, read 168,019 times

Advertisements

I am moving to LA by the end of the year. Would like to rent a 2 bedrm/2 bathroom apartment. Would like to live close to the beach. Maximum rent would need to be $2600 or lower.
The areas I am considering are Venice Beach, Santa Monica, Glendale, West Hollywood, Brentwood. I know some of these are not as close to the beach. A safe area is important to me as well.
Any suggestions or thoughts on the areas as far as pros/cons for these areas in regards to my budget and wishes? Any other areas you think I should consider?

Also, am hoping to purchase a new car for about 20,000 to 25,000. I am moving from Colorado. Would it be better to buy car in Colorado and transer to California or just buy one in California? Can I assume a new car will pass emissions standards? Thinking of a hyundai.

Thank you in advance for any guidance in these areas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2010, 08:23 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
What do you want out of a neighborhood? You have quite a variety of places there (not to mention some level of variety within each city), so some additional wish list items would be helpful. How did you come to pick those specific areas, and what about them appealed to you? That might also help people provide additional suggestions or useful feedback.

Also, what about commute? Will you be working somewhere? If so, than I'd also give commuting time serious consideration.

Old 09-11-2010, 08:49 PM

I will be self-employed and will rent a small office near where I end up living.
I have spent some time in all of the neighborhoods I listed (except Glendale). I was considering Glendale because a friend of mine is moving to the Archstone apartments there and I was impressed with how much more you got for your money there. I would have to visit the area though to get a feel for it.
I love Santa Monica and Venice Beach, mainly because of the ocean. As I mentioned safety is important and those areas seem safe (not sure about Glendale). Being able to walk to shop for groceries, get coffee, etc would be a huge plus. I am 55 and don't have an interest in night life so that is not a factor. A dog park nearby would be wonderful.
Thank you for your quick reply. I hope this information is helpful. I am also open to other areas that you might think are a good match.

Old 09-11-2010, 08:58 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,109,373 times
You should consider Redondo Beach, Hermosa Beach (especially) and Manhattan Beach. All the things you said should apply to these beach communities too.

You should buy your new car here to avoid double taxation problems.

Old 09-11-2010, 09:14 PM

I will definitely wait an buy a car there - I didn't realize there would be double taxation, thank you so much for that advice.
I will check out the other beach areas too. I have been to Redondo once (just on the Pier and didn't care for that but I am sure that is just one small part of the area).
Thanks!

Old 09-12-2010, 01:37 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,925,838 times
Check out Pacific Palisades around the village area (on a map, roughly where Temescal meets Sunset. Venice is a sewer (literally), but nearby Marina del Rey is an apartment/condo haven with lots of places to walk to and nice scenery. The south bay is very nice once you're there, it's just a PITA to get to. You get off the 405 and it seems like you have to drive forever to get to the beach (look at map, you'll see what I mean). West Hollywood is very urban, but plenty of apartments and condos to rent. Glendale doesn't have much to recommend it other than price, might as well live in the Valley. Santa Monica is very nice, just don't feed the homeless people or you'll never get rid of them, they're like kittens.

Mike

Old 09-13-2010, 10:38 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcief View Post
I will be self-employed and will rent a small office near where I end up living.
I have spent some time in all of the neighborhoods I listed (except Glendale). I was considering Glendale because a friend of mine is moving to the Archstone apartments there and I was impressed with how much more you got for your money there. I would have to visit the area though to get a feel for it.
I love Santa Monica and Venice Beach, mainly because of the ocean. As I mentioned safety is important and those areas seem safe (not sure about Glendale). Being able to walk to shop for groceries, get coffee, etc would be a huge plus. I am 55 and don't have an interest in night life so that is not a factor. A dog park nearby would be wonderful.
Thank you for your quick reply. I hope this information is helpful. I am also open to other areas that you might think are a good match.
All of the areas you are considering would be fine. Yes, you will probably get more in Glendale. Venice and Santa Monica will be pricey as will Brentwood, but you can certainly find something in your price range. I have always had a special place in my heart for Glendale so I might be a little biased but your age sounds more like Glendale to me.

Nita

Old 09-13-2010, 10:42 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,588,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
All of the areas you are considering would be fine. Yes, you will probably get more in Glendale. Venice and Santa Monica will be pricey as will Brentwood, but you can certainly find something in your price range. I have always had a special place in my heart for Glendale so I might be a little biased but your age sounds more like Glendale to me.

Nita
Nita is right, as usual.

I haven't had much experience with glendale, but your budget is about spot on for SM. I (personally) would steer clear of Venice. Breentwood (90049) is great, but still under the City of LA umbrella, which is ... meh.

As for the car --- I would buy it here and save the hassle of registering it in CO and then re-registering it in CA. You'll pay the reg twice.

Almost all new cars sold in any state will pass emissions in CA. There are a few exceptions. You shouldn't have any issue with Hyundai. Of course, any new car you buy in CA will be okay to have here.

There are tons of car options in that price range .... don't limit yourself to hyundai.

Old 09-13-2010, 07:03 PM

10 posts, read 62,816 times
I recommend the South Bay beach cities. I live in the south part of Redondo Beach. I can walk to pretty much anything...beach & piers (both the Redondo Beach and Hermosa Beach piers), restaurants (both nice sit-down restaurants and fast-food), grocery & drug stores, bars, hair salons, library, city hall. In the three years I've lived here, I've only put about 5,000 miles on my car...mostly from weekend trips to places like Vegas, San Diego, Santa Barbara, San Fran, etc.

I really love the neighborhood I live in. I know everyone on my street. They're all really friendly and look out for each other. I feel safe walking down the street at night.

I'm sure there are other places in LA just as nice to live, but I can only speak for Redondo/Hermosa Beach.

Good luck!

Old 09-15-2010, 07:06 PM

Thank you everyone for your responses. I love Santa Monica and am ok with the homeless (as far as living in the same area) I will definitely check out Pacific Palisades and the South Bay area.
I really appreciate the advice on getting a car in California, that seems to make a lot of sense. I was looking at Hyundais because of the great consumer report reviews but will test drive a variety in my price range. Sounds like I'll be crossing Venice off my list.
I am going to visit LA again soon and spend some time exploring Glendale and Hermosa and Redondo Beach.
Thank you everyone for your help. I am so looking forward to living in SO CA after 12 years in the Rocky Mountains with very long, cold winters!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles