U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2008, 10:59 PM

15 posts, read 34,009 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

I will be starting to work at Terminal Island in a few weeks and have been looking for apartments over the past week. It's just going to be me, so I'm looking for a 1 BR apartment. I have found one at a complex called "Harbor View" which is technically in San Pedro, but on the "foothills" of Ranchos Palos Verdes. The complex is gated, looks very nice, and the neighborhood looks safe. This is going for $1450. It's about 10 minutes from work.

I've also found one in Torrance, 1st floor 1BR for $1240, just off of PCH where it crosses Hawthorne, in a complex called "Casa De Oro". The commute would take about 25 minutes via 110.

Today I found one in a complex called "Highridge" which is in Ranchos Palos Verdes, high on the hill, for a price of $1490. This one is very spacious, the neighborhood looks safe, but no gates.

So, any advice on which one to go for?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2008, 01:58 AM

10,754 posts, read 25,537,232 times
I'd recommend Rancho Palos Verdes, if only for the air quality and the proximity to views. Even thoiugh it's not gated, this area is very safe in terms of crime. The other contenders also sound like they could be good choices, especially being a bit closer to work, but to my mind, RPV has the edge.

Old 08-23-2008, 03:12 PM

186 posts, read 572,964 times
Take the one in RPV, because if you end up renting for a while, you'll be happier there, plus it's closer than San Pedro to the other beach cities. Torrance would be fine if money is an issue.

Old 08-23-2008, 04:17 PM

1,749 posts, read 7,547,103 times
Harbor View would be fine for you. The quick commute will leave you with lots more time to live your life. From PCH it takes me almost 1/2 hour just to get up the hill to my Grandmother's home in Rancho Palos Verdes. It takes another half hour to get down the hill. It can be done in 40 minutes in good traffic. Stay on the south side of the hill.

Old 08-23-2008, 04:59 PM

15 posts, read 34,009 times
I'm strongly leaning toward Harbor View at this point because of all the benefits that go along with it: 2nd floor, gated, free fridge, new carpet, pet friendly(I don't have a dog currently, but am strongly considering it), very close to work, and there's a Ralph's and plenty of shopping about a 5 minute walk away.

The RPV apartment "Highridge" was very spacious, but no gate, no shopping nearby, about 5-10 more minutes from work, and when I knocked on the walls they seemed to be very thin.

The Torrance apartment was nice, at a lower price, but I would have had to brave more traffic in the mornings, wasn't pet friendly, and I would've had to buy a fridge.

Thanks for everyones input.

Old 06-15-2009, 12:33 AM

947 posts, read 2,913,752 times
good ideas about places to live.
...i know this is an old thread...

But I am wondering...
Has anyone heard of the Vue condos? or know of anyone that lives or has lived at the Vue? It seems really neat and is open for renting, (it was meant for the units to be individually sold).

Thanks!

Old 06-18-2009, 06:26 PM

63 posts, read 148,247 times
The Vue was built to be sold as Condos, maybe 2006/2007. But, with the downturn in the economy, they are renting/leasing. Not much in walking distance.

There is another new complex on Western, next to the gym. They are also new condos that are being leased, the developer is also having a hard time selling the units.

The area is Rancho Palos Verdes, I think this side of the street was San Pedro at one time. It is a reasonably nice area, since it is across the street from the east side of RPV. Lots of stores going South on Western.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or