Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 12:09 AM

4 posts, read 22,198 times

Advertisements

Just wondering what the cheapest place to live was in LA? Was looking to live in LA for a while, I'm not exactly wealthy so it'll need to be somewhere pretty cheap. your help is much appreciated, thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2008, 01:12 AM

1,714 posts, read 6,030,876 times
Check PennySaverUSA.com Online Classifieds: Rentals in Los Angeles County, CA, and also http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sea...k=600&bedrooms .

Those ought to get you going.

Old 08-23-2008, 01:19 AM

1,203 posts, read 4,403,967 times
There is no "cheap" in LA, in the general meaning.

Old 08-23-2008, 01:21 AM

2,589 posts, read 8,607,558 times
do you have any other requirements besides "the cheapest place to live"? do you think that the cheapest place to live in ANY city is someplace you really want to live?

Old 08-23-2008, 01:31 AM

396 posts, read 1,718,277 times
cheapest is definantly in south central.

Old 08-23-2008, 01:49 AM

4 posts, read 22,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
do you have any other requirements besides "the cheapest place to live"? do you think that the cheapest place to live in ANY city is someplace you really want to live?
Honestly I really dont have any other requirements. Would just like to hear some places. and I only plan to live there for about a year or so

Old 08-23-2008, 01:55 AM

2,589 posts, read 8,607,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsxxx View Post
Honestly I really dont have any other requirements. Would just like to hear some places. and I only plan to live there for about a year or so
so your personal safety and quality of life are completely irrelevant? why not just live on the street? that's cheap!

Old 08-23-2008, 02:02 AM

1,203 posts, read 4,403,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsxxx View Post
I'm really sorry, but I have to say this...

This is terrible idea. You want to move to LA just for a year? Why in the world would you want to spend THAT much money on relocating, etc to live in a ghetto in South Central or East LA...? Then you probably think to yourself "I'll be alright. I'll work meanial jobs, and get to live in LA and experiance all that it has to offer." Well yea, you will. You'll experience poverty for yourself and all around you. You won't be able to afford to do all those cool things that LA has to offer. Even doing something "free" costs money... Gas is very high, parking is limited and expensive, and almost everything in this city is expensive compared elsewhere. I can't imagine your time here being anything short of miserable.

That said, I love LA. I just moved here, and its been greatest time of my life. Why has it been soo great? Because I am making enough money to pay the rent in my North Hollywood apartment, gas, groceries, etc.. and still have enough to go out twice a week, while saving the extra.

Maybe I'm wrong. Do it. Who knows, it might work out well for you. Just be careful, and really think about the money you are sinking in this trip.

Old 08-23-2008, 08:57 AM

1,714 posts, read 6,030,876 times
The links I sent had apartments and back houses in many parts of town. I hope the OP took the time to follow them up.

dsxxx, what kind of work do you plan on doing?

Old 08-23-2008, 09:32 AM

672 posts, read 2,165,914 times
Actually places like East Los and South Central aren't really that cheap, if you go with the market rate apartments. People live there because those neighborhood have "services" that other neighborhoods can't offer. They have a strong ethnic community and a more informal (cash-only or trade) economy that helps people survive without all the rules you find on the west side.

One huge question is what "LA" are we talking about. The cheapest place in LA is likely in Palmdale right now, depending on your definition of LA. Rent a 3 bedroom house for $1000 and get two roommates. Voila.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles