U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 01:17 PM

208 posts, read 892,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhome View Post
I can pay $700,000 and get a 2,400 square foot home in Lake Forest and have award winning schools, while $700,000 does not buy nearly as large or nice a home in places like South Pasadena, Redondo, La Canada, etc... where schools are also as good. Basically, the price of a home in good schools seems even heftier in LA County. The size of a home is VERY important to a family. I have 3 kids and would think under 1,500 square feet is getting less than comfortable. Also, homes with only one bathroom are not desireable for a family.
for decades people lived in 1500 ft (or smaller) homes. people don't really "need" 2400 ft homes. people "want" 2400 ft homes. i think lots of families in LA area choose to live in the nice areas in smaller homes for the cost of what a large home in OC would cost... example: 519 Anita, Redondo Beach, CA 90278 | $739,900 | South Redondo Beach (North of Torrance) Real Estate | S08056812
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2008, 02:06 PM

7,092 posts, read 18,480,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
Calabasas corridor vs Irvine corridor...

Need to also factor that Calabasas lacks decent public schools; has desert-like heat; and air quality issues (w/health implications)...
I've also had heard that the schools in Calabasas were perfectly fine there. Besides that, I spend a decent amount of time that way (as my in laws all live between Calabasas and Thousand Oaks), and although the heat is a bit more intense than inland OC, the air quality is certainly no worse than anywhere than any of the non-coastal cities in OC.

Old 08-30-2008, 10:32 PM

619 posts, read 1,910,440 times
still interested to find out more...

Old 08-31-2008, 01:20 AM

705 posts, read 3,000,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timelesschild View Post
I do love LA though. My goodness, it's beautiful. I love the energy and the diversity. My kids love to eat at hole-in-the-wall Chinese restaurants, and they love museums. They love to be taken to a new section of town just to see it - say, Little Tokyo - and poke through the shops. Of course, they would love OC as well - the Disneyland angle alone is enough to capture the kid vote for OC.
There really isn't a lot more to add but I completely agree with the posts of Timelesschild, Missionhome, and BRinSM. Ive been living in L.A. for the past couple of years and I absolutely love it. Theres so many different vibes, cultures, and things to see and do I don't think a lifetime can allow you to see it all.

Last Night, I got off of work trying to decide what I wanted to have for dinner and I really didn't want any type of fast food. So what did I do? I walked down the street and found a great Japanese restaurant with reasonable prices which I absolutely enjoyed!

My family lives in North County San Diego and its sort of like parts of the OC but right next to San Diego city. Anyway, I love taking my little brother to all the neat places in San Diego and Los Angeles. He really enjoys going to the downtown Library in LA as they put on really great puppet shows or to the kids museum in San Diego. What it really comes down to is whether you can afford and handle the city life or whether you want to live in a nice quiet neighborhood and focus on raising a family. The OC is a great place to live as it is right in between L.A. and S.D. The beaches are close and it has Disneyland!

Old 08-31-2008, 08:38 AM

419 posts, read 1,265,193 times
We moved to LA from Irvine - here's the conclusion we came to on where to settle.

Middle-class family relocating to L.A. area?...

Bottom line is LA has what you're looking for, you just have to be open to it and seek it out.

Old 09-25-2008, 01:24 PM

4 posts, read 5,577 times
Orange County people try too hard!!!

I am from LA originally and lived in Orange County for a while but had to leave!! I cannot stand when people would ask where you from and when I would say LA they would look at me as if i said Cambodia!!!!! PLEASE!!! OC people think they are better than everyone else its pathetic. How dare them look down on me, I'm from Pacific Palisades and grew up in a beautiful home/area. They try to say LA is just so ghetto but just like any major city in the u.s (ny, chicago, miami, etc) it has its areas. There are gorgous cities in LA but when people are in a bubble they wont ever know about it. Most orange county cities are fairly new and dont have the history like other cities do. Its suburbia!!
....and dont let OC fool you, there are some ghetto cities their too!!

Dont get me wrong, you can find superficial people everywhere but in oc its like they try too hard. Every woman looks exactly the same!!! Its like an assembly line of label whores. In la we love our fashion but we get things because we like them not because you can clearly see a designers name on our handbag or jeans. we also love vintage and oc women probably know nothing about that. The diffrence between LA and OC is that you can be sitting next to a guy at a bar and he will be a millionaire and he looks like any other guy and in OC if you have money it is so obvious as it has to be shown for you people. i encountered alot of people there that acted as if they were born into money and the only reason they had some now was because they originally bought their home, when NOBODY ever heard of Orange County, for like 300k and with market values increased they made money off the sell of a home.

OC is soooo boring too! LA has so much more culture and history and museums. There is always an opening to a new restaurant or a premiere to a new movie. Its more of a city lifestyle. The crowds at LA clubs/bars are much cooler too. You will commonly see other people of diffrent cultures actually talking to eachother!!
i went to the "best oc clubs" and they were horrible, it doesnt even compare to Hollywood.

Alot of OC people try to stray from the "LA" name but i find it funny how you may live there in your bubble but some send your kids to live at our colleges "usc and ucla" and go to Los Angeles LAker games...and have shows like the hills where a girl from south OC goes to LA and never goes back to LB because LA IS so great and fun.

another thing that angers me is when people from OC look down on Inland Empire people.
They try to say its an area that tries to be OC like but many Angelenos would would say that about OC. OC may look down on the I.E but little do they know LA looks down on OC.

This is strictly my experience with OC people being an LA native so i hope no one gets too offended....i am not trying to say ALL people from OC are snobs but lets face it, its alot of you people.

Old 09-25-2008, 02:11 PM

i used to live in playa del rey (within the city limits of LA) and had a friend come up and visit me from fullerton. he told me about how he hated LA, but liked where I lived because it wasn't LA to him. go figure. anyways, i think it goes to show how every city has its good and bad parts. a lot of people think that LA is either hollywood or ghetto. little do they know that there are plenty of nice neighborhoods in between where normal people live their normal lives.

Old 09-25-2008, 02:59 PM

672 posts, read 1,796,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
i used to live in playa del rey (within the city limits of LA) and had a friend come up and visit me from fullerton. he told me about how he hated LA, but liked where I lived because it wasn't LA to him. go figure. anyways, i think it goes to show how every city has its good and bad parts. a lot of people think that LA is either hollywood or ghetto. little do they know that there are plenty of nice neighborhoods in between where normal people live their normal lives.
To be (un)fair, it seems to me that very few people on this forum believe that "there are plenty of nice neighborhoods in between where normal people live their normal lives". I don't see how your friend's criticism is any different from the criticism I read here every day from past and current Angelenos.

Old 09-25-2008, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike121 View Post
To be (un)fair, it seems to me that very few people on this forum believe that "there are plenty of nice neighborhoods in between where normal people live their normal lives". I don't see how your friend's criticism is any different from the criticism I read here every day from past and current Angelenos.
you're right, it is the same criticism. however, i was just proving the point that his criticism of LA was extremely naive since he thought that my neighborhood was nice. i have many other friends in the OC and IE that also claim to hate LA, but really have very limited experiences with the city. i don't get it. I really like where i live/lived in LA. yes, i agree parts of LA suck and I would never live in them, but there are plenty of decent to nice areas that people tend to overlook when making judgements about the whole city.

Old 09-25-2008, 08:28 PM

4 posts, read 5,577 times
Default The naive peception of la from oc people

I HAVE TO AGREE WITH YOU.......ITS LIKE THE PERCEPTION OF LOS ANGELES IS EAST LA OR SOMETHING. I WAS JUST TRYING TO SAY ITS SO NAIVE FOR OC PEOPLE TO PLACE LA IN A CATEGORY OF CRIME AND GHETTONESS. I WILL BE THE FIRST TO SAY THERE ARE PLENTY OF UGLY CITIES IN LA AND PLENTY OF GREAT ONES TOO...AS EVERY MAJOR CITY DOES-OC IS NOT A MAJOR CITY ITS A COUNTY (SUBURBIA) OUTSIDE OF LA WITH SOME LOW INCOME CITIES AS WELL. REMEMBER THAT LA IS THE 2ND LARGEST CITY IN THE US AND IS MUCH OLDER THAN SAY IRVINE OR RSM. ITS KINDA LIKE OC IS NEW MONEY AND LA IS SOME NEW MONEY AND ALOT OF GENERATIONS WITH $$$. AN EXAMPLE WOULD BE OC IS LONG ISLAND AND LA IS MANHATTAN..

OC PEOPLE WOULD HATE IF WE SAW OC AS BEING LIKE SANTA ANA OR BUENA PARK. AND LETS FACE IT.... MANY PEOPLE NEVER LEAVE OC UNLESS THEY GO TO STAPLES CENTER OR LAX.

ITS JUST LIKE WHEN SNOBBY OC PEOPLE NOW SAY I LIVE IN "SOUTH" OC AS OPPOSED TO JUST OC. WELL LA IS THE SAME, BUT THERES WEST, EAST, NORTH, SOUTH, AND CENTRAL!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles