U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 02:50 AM

619 posts, read 1,908,299 times

Advertisements

I live in OC and wondering if any of you here moved to LA after living in OC. How do you like it if you like it and how different is it?
Thanx!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2008, 01:22 PM

7,091 posts, read 18,444,477 times
I'm from OC and moved to LA. I grew up in Anaheim and Yorba Linda, spent some years in Corona then graduated from CSUF. After graduating and traveling Europe for a couple of months, I realized that I much prefered big cities over the suburban type living that OC offers. After being here for almost 4 years now, I have no interest in moving back to the OC. It is a nice place, and very similar in my aspects to LA, yet very different at the same time. The biggest difference up here in LA is the people. It is much more diverse here, not just white, brown, and asian. Also, the people here come from all over the country and all over the world. I think it is really neat to meet people from other places on a fairly regular basis. In OC, almost everyone I knew was from OC and didn't really ever plan on leaving. Also, as funny as it sounds, there is actually much less cosmetic surgery here. Every time I go back down to hang out with friends in Newport or Huntington, the first thing I usually notice is how many young woman have boob jobs! There are also a lot more tattoos in OC as well. I'm not sure why this is, but you think that LA would have more of both, but not from what I've seen. Obviously LA has its downsides (ie traffic, crime, etc...), but for being in my 20s, I find it perfect for me at this point in my life and have no interest in living elsewhere. I also really like the food options up here, not many chains, but really good foreign cuisine and mom and pop/hole in the wall places. For example, my current favorite restaurant is a Brazilian BBQ place that is hidden in a strip mall near Culver City. There are so many hidden gems here.

Old 08-23-2008, 01:48 PM

916 posts, read 3,190,071 times
Long Beach: OC convenience with LA style.

Old 08-23-2008, 01:52 PM

2,516 posts, read 7,556,896 times
BRinSM,

please name the churrascuria. i like pampas grill at the farmer's market for a quick meal, and fogo de chao is great, but i'd like to try others.

sorry for going off-topic.

Old 08-23-2008, 01:54 PM

1,712 posts, read 5,345,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaplesRes View Post
Long Beach: OC convenience with LA style.
Please tell me what OC is convenient to. I would like to understand OC's appeal, but haven't caught on to it quite yet. I am totally not bashing here, just would love to hear the good, the convenient, etc.

Old 08-23-2008, 01:59 PM

240 posts, read 800,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timelesschild View Post
Please tell me what OC is convenient to. I would like to understand OC's appeal, but haven't caught on to it quite yet. I am totally not bashing here, just would love to hear the good, the convenient, etc.
I would imagine the poster is referring to the fact that day-to-day life in OC might be a little easier compared to LA. Traffic is still heavy in OC, but not as bad as LA's.

Old 08-23-2008, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMark View Post
I would imagine the poster is referring to the fact that day-to-day life in OC might be a little easier compared to LA. Traffic is still heavy in OC, but not as bad as LA's.
Oh, OK. I'm serious, I'm trying to learn more about it. I didn't know its traffic was less congested, so that is interesting to learn.

Old 08-23-2008, 02:22 PM

240 posts, read 800,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timelesschild View Post
Oh, OK. I'm serious, I'm trying to learn more about it. I didn't know its traffic was less congested, so that is interesting to learn.
Go to the OC forum and ask them what they like in OC compared to LA. I doubt you'll have any trouble getting responses to that question.

Old 08-23-2008, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMark View Post
Go to the OC forum and ask them what they like in OC compared to LA. I doubt you'll have any trouble getting responses to that question.
LOL!! Good point.

Old 08-23-2008, 03:10 PM

916 posts, read 3,190,071 times
All I meant is that because OC is one big planned cookie cutter housing tract and shopping mall, it's easy to do things like drive to the store, movie theatre, etc. It's not as congested on the freeways either but it's making a good run at competing soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles