U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 04:16 AM

5 posts, read 8,644 times

Advertisements

Hey Guys, i'm a single 26 years old male from France and i'd like to have a long trip in the united-states to enjoy the american way of life but i hesitate between miami and los angeles
What i like in miami it's the warm carribean sea and all what's included with (tropical food, latin ambiance...) But i heard people are very rude and superficial so as i'd like to make some friends i don't know if this general attitude could help ???
Los angeles it's for the music, movies and also the latin influence.
As i'm gonna stay for a short but enough long time i'm looking for a cheap rent or a shared appartment.
Can you please give me some advice regarding my criteria and your own opinion about this two cities for a simple and funky tourist.
I have already read many threads talking about miami and los angeles but it was about moving and living their.
I wish i would go to both cities but my budget is limited.
Thank you for helping me to make a choice

Sorry for grammatical errors, bye
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/reputation.php?p=4965672"][+] Rate this post positively[/URL]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2008, 04:37 AM

107 posts, read 318,480 times
I had several European (including French) friends come and go. They preferred cities like Philadelphia and Boston because they seemed the most European. You can also try Baltimore, New York City, and Chicago. They are all very historical, and you can take mass transit. You are right: Miami and LA are shallow.

Old 08-23-2008, 04:55 AM

Thanks for reply, i wish i can go to theses cities too, but i haven't took hollydays for 3 years and i want to relax in the sun and to beach. I keep your advice for a future visit in the us.

Old 08-23-2008, 07:12 AM

1,538 posts, read 5,132,124 times
i'd recommend los angeles because the weather is much more consistently nice and in my opinion the scenery is far more breathtaking.

in la, it's almost always sunny with low humidity, and it hardly ever rains (almost all of the rain occurs in the late fall and winter, and even then it's not that much compared to most areas). la has beautiful mountains and beaches in close proximity to each other, and it's a larger and more diverse city. and with diversity comes great ethnic food - and la is one of the best cities, if not the best in the u.s. in that regard. the la metro area (including orange county) has some of the best mexican, korean, persian, armenian, vietnamese, chinese, ethiopian, salvadoran, japanese, thai, and filipino food outside of those countries. and the burgers, jewish delis, and fine dining are pretty great, too. the one cuisine that la is sorely lacking is italian (including pizza), although miami isn't great in that regard, either.

miami's weather is nice in the winter (warm rather than hot, and relatively dry, albeit still fairly humid), but from april through october it's brutally hot and humid, with tons of rain and thunderstorms. i could never live there for that reason - i hate humidity and excessive rain. and this is picky on my part, but i also despise all of the bugs that come with humid climates. i'd be miserable during the spring/summer/early fall in miami - weather like that makes me feel like i'm constantly walking through a swamp, whereas in la it's almost always super comfortable, especially if you live on the westside.

also, miami is very flat - it's beaches on one side of the city and the everglades (a large swamp) beyond the western city limits. to me, la's topography is much more interesting and visually appealing.

both la and miami are international cities, but miami is principally latin (especially caribbean) whereas la has large communities of immigrants from all over the world. la is just a much bigger city, so if you go there you'll truly feel like you're living amongst people from all over; only a handful of cities in the u.s. (such as new york) can offer this. in my opinion la and new york are by far the two most cosmopolitan cities in the u.s.

although both la and miami have poor mass transit systems, la's is much better by comparison. at least in la, you have the option of taking the subway or a commuter train from certain areas such as downtown or hollywood; in miami, public transportation is virtually nonexistent. although there are a good number of walkable neighborhoods in the city core of both cities, you're still going to have to do a lot of driving in either city to get around.

Last edited by pbergen; 08-23-2008 at 07:41 AM..

Old 08-23-2008, 09:20 AM

1,510 posts, read 4,576,749 times
Classik - Los Angeles any day. California as a whole, is an amazing place. And you'll have the option of going to all the cities close to L.A. (like San Diego, Santa Barbara, even Vegas and Tijuana if you're daring).

Although, if you're looking for a 'beach-y' type vacation, Miami has much warmer, clearer water. Los Angeles' beaches are cold and dark, and I wouldnt swim in them if you payed me. But they're good if you just want to lounge around on the beach.

Unless you stick stictly to the beach, I really wouldn't recommend Miami. In the mainland, they're not very welcoming of outsiders, unless you're hispanic/latin.. and even then, they'll still give you that typical Miami attitude. And yes you're right, people here are very rude and superficial.

Basically everything pbergen is true for both places. I think, overall, Southern California's a much nicer and definitely a prettier place to visit.

Last edited by Think (Freedom); 08-23-2008 at 09:28 AM..

Old 08-23-2008, 02:16 PM

Thanks to everyone how took time to help me.
You convince me to choose L.A. I hope to have a great time in this awesome city.
Bye

Old 08-23-2008, 02:37 PM

396 posts, read 1,551,812 times
if you're going to be here for 3 months, be sure you have around $5000 saved.

Old 08-23-2008, 04:23 PM

1,749 posts, read 7,547,103 times
If you go to Miami, don't go in the summer. October thru early May are very nice. Latin culture is amazing there. Both Miami people and us are accused of being shallow for caring about how we look, wanting to dress nice and drive nice cars and have nice homes. Personally, I prefer not to look skaggy and I love the entertainment industry. No crime. If you come in summer months, L.A. is better because it's not as hot and it's not humid here. The beaches are cool pretty much every day. Lots of European tourists doing what you do end up in Santa Monica or Hollywood.

I can't make this choice for you. For me, I like to visit Miami but only for short periods of time. I'm biased because L.A. is my home and it's fabulous.

Old 08-25-2008, 12:18 PM

5,409 posts, read 11,072,228 times
i would say LA, because of the other close by beaches on the coast. you can go south or north and find the warmer cleaner beaches (altho not as warm as MIA, but they get hurricanes, we dont )

and once here in LA, you can venture out of the area to other cities.
this past weekend i met some spanish kids(20 somethings) who had been to vegas, then to LA and were finally in the city (SF) for a music festival. they did the whole west coast tour.

completly loved it.

im sure you will too.

Old 08-25-2008, 03:29 PM

142 posts, read 687,066 times
LA definitely
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or