U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2008, 12:16 PM

215 posts, read 697,980 times

Advertisements

I was on Craigslist and I found a listing for a one bedroom for $700 a month so I figured well, why not check it out... This is the email I receieved in response to my query...

Thanks for your email and it is glad to Read from you.I am Rev Donna Halls,the owner of the 1 bedroom Apartment you are making inquiry of at 5461 Kester Avenue,Sherman Oaks, CA 91411.Actually I resided in the Apartment with my Wife before and presently we had Moved out due to my transfer from my working place and now situated in the West Africa and presently my Apartment is still available for rent for $700 per month including the utilities like Hydro included,Hardwood Floor,Air Conditioning,Utilities included,Dishwasher, Fridge,Stove,Assigned/Secured parking,microwave,Washer,Dryer,Cable/Satellite, Internet connectivity Elevator,Storage locker,Fireplace,security is fully furnished,More so Now, i went for a Job transfer and i will like you to get in touch with my wife in New Jersey,United states Of America for more discussion and Pictures as She is with the keys and the document to the Apartment.Please i want you to note that I am a kind and honest man and also I spent alot on my property that i want to give to you for rent,so i will solicit for your absolute maintainance of this Apartment and want you to treat it as your own,is that taken?it is not the money that is the main problem but i want you to keep it tidy all the time so that i will be glad to see it neat when i come for check up which i do once in a while and give 1month notice before i come for check up.I also want you to let me have trust in you as i always stand on my word. Pets Allowed

Special Notice : Pls note that there's none of us to show you the apartment,as we would have to send you the keys through DHL COURIER SERVICE ON A NEXT DELIVERY TO YOUR HOME and move in asap.A refundable deposit is required.if you are ok with this pls Email my wife Judith Halls at ( aptrental1313@gmail.com ) and she will attend to you better.You can call me on 011-234-803-609-3431 or +2348036093431 for more details

Thanks and God Bless You
Regards
Rev Donna Halls

First it's written in the style of, "I am in Russia and I need your bank account number so I can send you 25 trillion dollars!!!" Then I thought it odd that they didn't even expect to meet me and then there's PETS ALLOWED, yet when I looked up the address it said NO PETS ALLOWED.

So then I did a search on the email address in the email and found these results...

<LI class=g>[SIZE=3]BEWARE OF THESE PEOPLE (SCAMMERS)[/SIZE]

A refundable deposit is required.if you are ok with this pls Email my wife Judith Halls at ( aptrental1313@gmail.com ) and she will attend to you better. ...
losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/apa/798380551.html - Similar pages
<LI class=g>[SIZE=3]Here be dragons: Chicanery, cons and scams: Craigslist Rental ...[/SIZE]

apartmentrents555@yahoo.com* (Carmeli Ahia) a_phillip20@yahoo.com* (Ashely & Phillip Adam) aptrental1313@gmail.com* (Judith Halls) are_vally@hotmail.com* ...
chicaneryconsscams.blogspot.com/2008/01/cdn-craigslist-rental-scammails-i.html - 180k - Cached - Similar pages
<LI class=g>
<LI class=g>

I would suggest anyone here looking for an apartment on Cragslist to click on the link... [SIZE=3]Here be dragons: Chicanery, cons and scams: Craigslist Rental ...[/SIZE] They have list of email Craigslist Rental Scammails
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2008, 12:48 PM

5,612 posts, read 13,240,020 times
Like they say, if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is.

Old 08-23-2008, 01:11 PM

240 posts, read 799,859 times
Why does it seem like Russians are some of the most corrupt people in the world?

Old 08-23-2008, 02:20 PM

Actually, I think it's Nigerians.

Old 08-23-2008, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
Actually, I think it's Nigerians.
Maybe on the internets, but overall in the world, the Russians have not been nice people.

Go to West Hollywood and try to chat up a few Russians. Don't expect a warm reception.

Old 08-23-2008, 02:51 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,883,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMark View Post
Maybe on the internets, but overall in the world, the Russians have not been nice people.

Go to West Hollywood and try to chat up a few Russians. Don't expect a warm reception.
If you go to Moscow and try to"chat up" Russians you will get a different response.
The ones you tried to "chat up" are probably American Citizens with LA attitudes.

Old 08-23-2008, 02:54 PM

1,044 posts, read 3,349,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANAPA View Post
[b][color=navy]Special Notice : Pls note that there's none of us to show you the apartment,as we would have to send you the keys through DHL COURIER SERVICE ON A NEXT DELIVERY TO YOUR HOME and move in asap.A refundable deposit is required.if you are ok with this pls Email my wife Judith Halls
Good catch! I went to that Here be dragons list and I noticed a lot of the scammers claim to want to send the apartment keys to you after you send them money. Any good Landlord/Manager/Owner will want to meet with the tenant before accepting a deposit of any kind. And the tenant should insist on seeing what they're renting before they hand over any money!

I'm bookmarking it for future reference. Thanks!

Old 08-23-2008, 02:56 PM

1,044 posts, read 3,349,480 times
Quote:
Why does it seem like Russians are some of the most corrupt people in the world?
Quote:

That's really bigoted and uncalled for. Your generalizing about a whole group of people based on a few bad ones.

And keep in mind that not all people from Russia wanted to live there or agreed with their government and it's actions.

Old 08-23-2008, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITChick View Post
That's really bigoted and uncalled for. Your generalizing about a whole group of people based on a few bad ones.
That was just my experience living on the east side of West Hollywood years ago. I'm still open-minded, however. I didn't mean to say that I felt that way about all Russians.

Old 08-23-2008, 04:46 PM

I've never had an issue with any Russian people I've met.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles