U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 07:56 AM

687 posts, read 889,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMark View Post
Curious about everybody's opinions. It's a very open-ended question. Be descriptive.
Dark....very dark with mostly Spanish advertising looking like a foreign country where few people speak English while standing in line at the market...oh wait....we have that now! No disrespect meant to Spanish speaking people...just my view.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2009, 09:45 PM

3,904 posts, read 6,200,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by osuzana View Post
Dark....very dark with mostly Spanish advertising looking like a foreign country where few people speak English while standing in line at the market...oh wait....we have that now! No disrespect meant to Spanish speaking people...just my view.
Mine too!

Old 10-28-2009, 10:04 PM

7,115 posts, read 19,063,147 times
in ten years, i think the valley will be very similar to what is now. the ghettos will still be ghettos, but the nice areas will remain nice. the transitional areas will continue heading up or down, but people of all races and income will continue moving to the area as there is such a large array of neighborhoods to choose from. it seems some people feel that the whole valley is going to become a satellite of mexico city, but i don't think so. sure some parts smack in the middle of the valley will stay strongly hispanic, but more and more hipster (young, educated and/or creative) types will continue to move to the valley as it becomes more and more urban (especially in the southern portion). also, families will continue to move to the valley as it is close to the city, but far enough removed to have space for kids and decent to good schools in many areas.

Old 11-10-2009, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratredmanty View Post
van nuys, san gabriel, and san fernando iz alwayz goin to get bad. asian gangs n latino gangs iz goin to terrorize da whole ****in hood juz watch.
San Fernando does have the benefit of having its own police force.

Old 11-10-2009, 04:20 PM

5,660 posts, read 6,857,133 times
It will probably be revitalized and more more gentrified.

Old 01-03-2010, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
It will probably be revitalized and more more gentrified.
We hope.

Old 01-04-2010, 04:10 AM

1 posts, read 1,655 times
Perhaps the parts of the valley closest to the hills are going to be the only parts that will hold their own in terms of neighborhood preservation with little to no change in 10 years.

Now, here is something that I have been noticing in the recent couple of years...

Having lived in Arleta in the mid-late 80's and fortunately having the ability to continually move west to get away from the "ghetto-ness" has been in my favor. I noticed that some people may not have been so fortunate; however, in the last couple of years I have noticed that some of what were once the "bad" areas of the east valley (Arleta, San Fernando, ect...)have changed for the better: nice green lawns, clean streets, freshly re-modeled houses. It's almost as if the people had been so fed up with all the crap going on that they said "enough is enough" and really put the effort out. I think Canoga Park, Reseda and Winnetka will do the same, but not soon. I'm just glad in west of Topanga, next stop is over the hill...

Old 01-04-2010, 04:36 AM

26,346 posts, read 83,027,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'D_RATHER_BE_(______) View Post
Perhaps the parts of the valley closest to the hills are going to be the only parts that will hold their own in terms of neighborhood preservation with little to no change in 10 years.

Now, here is something that I have been noticing in the recent couple of years...

Having lived in Arleta in the mid-late 80's and fortunately having the ability to continually move west to get away from the "ghetto-ness" has been in my favor. I noticed that some people may not have been so fortunate; however, in the last couple of years I have noticed that some of what were once the "bad" areas of the east valley (Arleta, San Fernando, ect...)have changed for the better: nice green lawns, clean streets, freshly re-modeled houses. It's almost as if the people had been so fed up with all the crap going on that they said "enough is enough" and really put the effort out. I think Canoga Park, Reseda and Winnetka will do the same, but not soon. I'm just glad in west of Topanga, next stop is over the hill...
One thing that may have happened is in the past ten or so years when housing bubbled like crazy, those were the only homes affordable to working professionals. So, you could have a younger couple, each pulling in $75K and they buy their first home for $450K in Arleta or Van Nuys or somewhere in the mid valley - at the peak of the market. Since this home is owner occupied, it is taken care of.

Too bad (for them) those houses are now worth $250K.

Old 01-04-2010, 01:54 PM

448 posts, read 1,388,932 times
That is my biggest frustration with investors who buy up all these homes, leaving slim pickins for the general public who want to have the dream of home ownership. So, in the interim while everyone is waiting for the housing bubble to burst further, they rent houses and don't take care of them because it's a rental. There are some exceptions, but the vast majority of home renters will not care for their lawn or the exterior of their house like a home owner. This is how neighborhoods deteriorate.

When I was living in Valley Village, there were 2 homes next to me that were being rented and the renters would leave furniture on their front lawn (I'm talking dressers and such). Is there any sort of city law that prevents people from putting crap on their front lawn?

Old 01-04-2010, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LABornandRaised View Post

When I was living in Valley Village, there were 2 homes next to me that were being rented and the renters would leave furniture on their front lawn (I'm talking dressers and such). Is there any sort of city law that prevents people from putting crap on their front lawn?
You'd have to call City Hall and find out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles