U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 08:08 PM

26,346 posts, read 82,847,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8 View Post
So much negativity. Why can't the future of the SFV look like other improved areas, Pasadena, Hollywood, downtown L.A.? Remember those areas back in the 80s? Hollywood was so run down and dangerous that it was an embarrassment for the city. Parts of the now redeveloped Pasadena was a dangerous ghost town after dark. Downtown L.A., well, compare it to 20-25 years ago.

My experience with L.A. generally is that some areas fall to disrepair and then spruce themselves up eventually. Other areas that were nice deteriorate and then come back around. I've seen this trend in L.A. over and over.
Even more interesting the thought if the SFV had succeeded with secession. How might that have changed things in ten years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2008, 08:17 PM

240 posts, read 814,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Even more interesting the thought if the SFV had succeeded with secession. How might that have changed things in ten years?
I still think it would be a good idea to break up the city - or at least form boroughs, such as in New York City.

In the valley, even the post office doesn't recognize it as Los Angeles. The official addresses for the Valley communities use their community name in the address, such as Sherman Oaks, North Hollywood, etc., giving people the impression that these areas ARE separate from L.A., when they're not.

Old 08-29-2008, 01:48 AM

2,827 posts, read 9,913,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Oh, you mean the City of Camelot. That was one of the proposed names for an independent SFV.

San Fernando Valley: Secession movement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-29-2008, 07:01 AM

686 posts, read 2,268,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMark View Post
Curious about everybody's opinions. It's a very open-ended question. Be descriptive.
The trend will be for people to want to live closer to employment centers. For the valley that would mean more people with money moving back into the areas closer to LA, Hollywood, Burbank and Glendale. That's the neighborhoods like North Hollywood (especially in proximity to the Red Line), Valley Village and part of Van Nuys east of the 405. The far western parts of the valley will trend towards the other side of this coin, being the lower priced, first time home buyer markets. If I were buying a house in the valley and was on a 10 year plan my bullseye would be on Oxnard & Laurel Canyon.

The only other trend I predict is more density, especially along transit lines. Look for more 3 and 4 story condo/apartment developments. You might even see a high rise condo development but that is more likely in a 10 to 20 year time frame.

Old 02-05-2009, 08:40 PM

14 posts, read 44,971 times
know what? i have noticed a few racist statements here...altough i am an italian citizen living in the valley for the last 15 years, i disagree when it comes down to racism. it's not necessarily dangerous in the hispanic areas of the valley.....there are good and bad people sharing the same space everywhere you go....the world is not a perfect place so let's face it: try to stay safe and that's it!. the concept of the suburbs as we knew it,of a place where we could hide from the crowd and stay safe in our home with a backyard and near department stores and chain restaurantes, malls, etc..are fantastic! that was the reason i moved down here, and i like it. only in america you can find those areas so greatly urbanized and organized...but, inside the suburbs there is a lot of " mini ghettos", small " islands" that are needing a " clean up" and , at least there, those days of perfect hide outs are over. and let's be less racist and face it: hispanics got nothing to do with it. the government do. if you improve the laws, then there would be no one without legal permission to live in th u.s.a, and, naturally,in the valley, and those who want to stay here legally should learn some manners......it's a long story.

my favorite areas here are: woodland hills, encino,sherman oaks,glendale, pasadena,calabasas, west covina and arcadia.i included other areas close to the valley ,because i call it the valley anyway.

in general it's safe. i always feel a " fast times at ridgemont high " atmosphere when i am driving around the valley. a mix of " american grafitti" and ' fast times". that's why i moved here and thet's why i love it! teenage heart, adult responsability !

Last edited by leopett; 02-05-2009 at 09:09 PM..

Old 02-05-2009, 08:44 PM

stop bing so racist.......the world has changed, change with it and you will see it's not that hard.skin color does not mean anything now.......maybe that's why we are facing this crisis.....we need to be less arrogant and start being more tolerant.

know what? i have noticed a few racist statements here...altough i am an italian citizen living in the valley for the last 15 years, i disagree when it comes down to racism. it's not necessarily dangerous in the hispanic areas of the valley.....there are good and bad people sharing the same space everywhere you go....the world is not a perfect place so let's face it: try to stay safe and that's it!. the concept of the suburbs as we knew it,of a place where we could hide from the crowd and stay safe in our home with a backyard and near department stores and chain restaurantes, malls, etc..are fantastic! that was the reason i moved down here, and i like it. only in america you can find those areas so greatly urbanized and organized...but, inside the suburbs there is a lot of " mini ghettos", small " islands" that are needing a " clean up" and , at least there, those days of perfect hide outs are over. and let's be less racist and face it: hispanics got nothing to do with it. the government do. if you improve the laws, then there would be no one without legal permission to live in th u.s.a, and, naturally,in the valley, and those who want to stay here legally should learn some manners......it's a long story.

my favorite areas here are: woodland hills, encino,sherman oaks,glendale, pasadena,calabasas, west covina and arcadia.i included other areas close to the valley ,because i call it the valley anyway.

in general it's safe. i always feel a " fast times at ridgemont high " atmosphere when i am driving around the valley. a mix of " american grafitti" and ' fast times". that's why i moved here and thet's why i love it! teenage heart, adult responsability !

Last edited by leopett; 02-05-2009 at 09:10 PM..

Old 02-05-2009, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
on a more positive note, i think that real estate prices holding up on the westside may force many middle/upper-middle class 20 & 30 somethings who are set on staying in LA to buy in the Valley. as cre8 also mentioned, new 'urban hubs' may be created throughout the valley, creating hip neighborhoods that were once seen as unlivable (think Echo Park or downtown). Of course a strong latin influence will remain, but as the children of these immigrants grow up here, they will become Americanized and strive for the same lifestyle that all of us who have been here for generations long for. In ten years and beyond, I imagine a more diverse and integrated Valley.
congrats! here's someone who has brains. americanized id the word! a more diverse and integrated valley. it's unavoidable.....we have to integrate ourselves too....and grow a more tolerant way of seeing this. the world has changed, see china, brazil and others growing up now....we have to adjust but not loose our values. i am ian italian who got americanized but never lost my pronciples. way to go man!

Old 02-06-2009, 01:43 AM

956 posts, read 2,699,278 times

Old 02-06-2009, 06:38 PM

448 posts, read 1,385,136 times
Being born in the valley, I have an affinity with it. I have lived in the basin as well and appreciate aspects of both. To add perspective, I am white and asian. In any community, I don't like seeing one type of race, whether it be white, hispanic, black, asian...you name it. I like seeing an integrated mix of society. We are a melting pot after all. I think that is the frustration of many posters here when they reference "mexicans" and you're right leopett, I think some need to mute themselves a bit.

There are parts of the valley (panorama city) and even the basin (fashion district downtown) with highly dense hispanic communities. In my opinion it is good to have community so you have a sense of being, but when 7 out of 10 people are of one race, you alienate others and then you ultimately become 9 out 10 people in a community. I think diversity is critical for communities.

Old 02-06-2009, 06:42 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,960,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamescheeky View Post
Being born in the valley, I have an affinity with it. I have lived in the basin as well and appreciate aspects of both. To add perspective, I am white and asian. In any community, I don't like seeing one type of race, whether it be white, hispanic, black, asian...you name it. I like seeing an integrated mix of society. We are a melting pot after all. I think that is the frustration of many posters here when they reference "mexicans" and you're right leopett, I think some need to mute themselves a bit.

There are parts of the valley (panorama city) and even the basin (fashion district downtown) with highly dense hispanic communities. In my opinion it is good to have community so you have a sense of being, but when 7 out of 10 people are of one race, you alienate others and then you ultimately become 9 out 10 people in a community. I think diversity is critical for communities.
It's not Hispanics alienating people, it's people not wanting to live with the undesirables, pretty much.
Diversity is great, but the poorest neighborhoods aren't usually the most diverse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles