Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2019, 09:46 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Coe View Post
I'd like to see the Valley urbanize with Ventura BLVD lined with highrises like Wilshire but upper middle class NIMBys oppose that while lower class NIMBYs oppose gentrification. Van Nuys is run down but it is fairly urban and near expensive areas.
There is a plan called the warner center 2035 plan , the goal is to make the Warner center area the “downtown” of the valley , a dense walkable area .
Many projects under construction now and a lot more planned .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2019, 11:05 AM

8,326 posts, read 6,419,063 times
Sylmar sure has changed, they build and build, every time I think there is no more place left to build they find another run down house on a big lot or something. At least there mostly townhouses that people buy, not apartments.
The streets leading to the freeway are now congested, didn't used to be.

Old 03-11-2019, 02:54 PM

4,031 posts, read 4,458,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
There is a plan called the warner center 2035 plan , the goal is to make the Warner center area the “downtown” of the valley , a dense walkable area .
Many projects under construction now and a lot more planned .
Will be interesting to see if that project helps gentrify Canoga Park. That entire area is currently a car oriented pedestrian unfriendly wasteland.

Old 03-11-2019, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Sylmar sure has changed, they build and build, every time I think there is no more place left to build they find another run down house on a big lot or something. At least there mostly townhouses that people buy, not apartments.
The streets leading to the freeway are now congested, didn't used to be.
Infil or sprawl? Middle income?

Old 03-11-2019, 02:59 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,746,637 times
Quote:
Will be interesting to see if that project helps gentrify Canoga Park. That entire area is currently a car oriented pedestrian unfriendly wasteland.
It won't. Warner Center has been there for decades.

Old 03-11-2019, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
It won't. Warner Center has been there for decades.
The proposed redevelopment to urbanize the area.

Old 03-11-2019, 03:44 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,746,637 times
Quote:
The proposed redevelopment to urbanize the area.
Like I said, it won't change things. It is replacing the old Topanga Canyon shopping center. More people, more traffic, same streets. The result will be highly disappointing if there is an expectation of traffic relief or lower housing costs. "Gentrification" is not the correct word here. It's not like East L.A. or Downtown L.A. There will not be a major shift in area demographics. Just more people, more crowds and perhaps more money. Rents and real estate will be high.

Old 03-14-2019, 03:03 PM

8,545 posts, read 10,964,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
That's good information. Thanks for responding.

It's interesting that those formerly nicer areas have gone downhill, while other neighborhoods that were known as "bad areas", such as Highland Park, have become more appealing. Northeast L.A., in general, seems to have become more desirable over the last 10 years, as the lower SFV has become less desirable.

I have lived just east of Highland Park, in the tiny village of Hermon for over thirty years, and have seen a drastic change in the north east section of Los Angeles.

There are sill isolated pockets of gang activity, but compared to 30 years ago, Highland Park has done a huge turn around.
So what is responsible for the upswing in this area?
Plain and simple, "white money".

White money is driving the poorer Hispanic residents out of the area.
Homes are being purchased mostly by speculators, remodeled, and sold to mainly white people with the means to afford the escalating prices.

Recently(and this is becoming the rule, rather than the exception) a house one block from me was remodeled, and sold for just over one million dollars.
Two years ago, that house, as it stood would have been lucky to sell for three hundred thousand.

This is taking place all over the north east section of the city.

Many new businesses along Figueroa, and York Blvd, cater to the white millennials who have the bucks.
The old population is being forced out, and that is not necessarily a bad thing for this area.

I do however believe this will never happen in the SFV because the people living there are solidly entrenched in their lives, and way of life, so people wanting change in the area, are hesitant to invest like they have in Highland Park.

I don't believe the SFV will ever be anything but what it is presently, except more of the same.

Bob.

Old 03-14-2019, 03:30 PM

427 posts, read 367,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
I have lived just east of Highland Park, in the tiny village of Hermon for over thirty years, and have seen a drastic change in the north east section of Los Angeles.

There are sill isolated pockets of gang activity, but compared to 30 years ago, Highland Park has done a huge turn around.
So what is responsible for the upswing in this area?
Plain and simple, "white money".

White money is driving the poorer Hispanic residents out of the area.
Homes are being purchased mostly by speculators, remodeled, and sold to mainly white people with the means to afford the escalating prices.

Recently(and this is becoming the rule, rather than the exception) a house one block from me was remodeled, and sold for just over one million dollars.
Two years ago, that house, as it stood would have been lucky to sell for three hundred thousand.

This is taking place all over the north east section of the city.

Many new businesses along Figueroa, and York Blvd, cater to the white millennials who have the bucks.
The old population is being forced out, and that is not necessarily a bad thing for this area.

I do however believe this will never happen in the SFV because the people living there are solidly entrenched in their lives, and way of life, so people wanting change in the area, are hesitant to invest like they have in Highland Park.

I don't believe the SFV will ever be anything but what it is presently, except more of the same.

Bob.
I lived by Adams Hill over 10 years ago, when all this started happening. You're right its white money. People say "why the hell should I have to commute to Santa Clarita for a nice home? Let's take this area back and enjoy some street tacos to boot!"

Old 03-15-2019, 12:59 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,336,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleCar View Post
I lived by Adams Hill over 10 years ago, when all this started happening. You're right its white money. People say "why the hell should I have to commute to Santa Clarita for a nice home? Let's take this area back and enjoy some street tacos to boot!"
I get your point for sure, but I doubt people interested in Santa Clarita would consider that part of LA lol. Santa Clarita is the epitome of tract home boring suburbia while Northeast LA is full of older homes and more urban neighborhoods and schools aren't as good and it's not as safe. I think the people looking in those areas were priced out of Los Feliz/Silverlake area and Pasadena.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles