Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 07:42 PM

240 posts, read 888,956 times

Advertisements

Curious about everybody's opinions. It's a very open-ended question. Be descriptive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2008, 08:02 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,739,305 times
Probably not too much different; Wasn't that different ten years ago. And, if the economy doesn't improve significantly, there won't be a ton of money available to make major changes (new buildings, new roads, new infrastructure, new factories, new schools, etc.)
What about demographics? Lots of baby boomers retiring? Moving out? Being replaced by thirty-somethings buying their first home? Maybe, maybe not, not sure. Some demographers might have predictive data. Maybe at CSUN's sociology, geography, or business departments or something.

Old 08-24-2008, 11:01 PM

3,955 posts, read 7,196,988 times
10 years? Most of the valley will look like Pacoima.

Old 08-25-2008, 01:25 AM

956 posts, read 3,001,765 times
Tijuana, or worse...

Old 08-26-2008, 03:09 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,076,204 times
Not an urban planner here, but my guess is that the SFV and places similar will develop more and more around new mini urban centers. This seems to be the trend in spread-out places like L.A., Atlanta, Houston, etc. I heard or read something recently that in Houston, the city's outer beltway, which was designed to get you around the urban center, soon became a series of new urban centers. For the SFV, new "Warner Centers" here and there, perhaps. Oh, and more public transpo, too.

Old 08-26-2008, 10:26 AM

1,720 posts, read 6,726,531 times
glass is half empty...more mexicans...more gangs, graffiti...it's been moving westward for some years now. It will overpower all of van nuys to reseda and just bring its trash with it. Reseda BLVD will look like Sepulveda BLVD and I will be in another state...have fun with that.

Old 08-26-2008, 10:51 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,190,547 times
on a more positive note, i think that real estate prices holding up on the westside may force many middle/upper-middle class 20 & 30 somethings who are set on staying in LA to buy in the Valley. as cre8 also mentioned, new 'urban hubs' may be created throughout the valley, creating hip neighborhoods that were once seen as unlivable (think Echo Park or downtown). Of course a strong latin influence will remain, but as the children of these immigrants grow up here, they will become Americanized and strive for the same lifestyle that all of us who have been here for generations long for. In ten years and beyond, I imagine a more diverse and integrated Valley.

Old 08-26-2008, 10:55 AM

396 posts, read 1,723,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8 View Post
I heard or read something recently that in Houston, the city's outer beltway, which was designed to get you around the urban center, soon became a series of new urban centers. For the SFV, new "Warner Centers" here and there, perhaps. Oh, and more public transpo, too.
i used to live in houston, well right outside of houston. it used to be the rural area. now it's full of stores, houses, and a mall.

im sure the valley will just get more and more people, and wind up looking like mexico. panorama city is already there.

Old 08-28-2008, 08:47 AM

938 posts, read 4,093,320 times
It will follow it's cousins: Pacoima, Reseda, Panorama City, etc and become a giant cesspool for Mexicans only.

latin culture, gangs, graffiti, under performing schools, rubbish, fruit carts, spanish-speaking people, rusty old cars and gigante supermarkets will flourish in this valley of death.

Old 08-28-2008, 01:17 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,076,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King0fthehill View Post
It will follow it's cousins: Pacoima, Reseda, Panorama City, etc and become a giant cesspool for Mexicans only.

latin culture, gangs, graffiti, under performing schools, rubbish, fruit carts, spanish-speaking people, rusty old cars and gigante supermarkets will flourish in this valley of death.
So much negativity. Why can't the future of the SFV look like other improved areas, Pasadena, Hollywood, downtown L.A.? Remember those areas back in the 80s? Hollywood was so run down and dangerous that it was an embarrassment for the city. Parts of the now redeveloped Pasadena was a dangerous ghost town after dark. Downtown L.A., well, compare it to 20-25 years ago.

My experience with L.A. generally is that some areas fall to disrepair and then spruce themselves up eventually. Other areas that were nice deteriorate and then come back around. I've seen this trend in L.A. over and over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles