U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 12:02 PM

19 posts, read 58,512 times

Advertisements

Santa Monica is a TERRIBLE place to live. First it has one of the highest rates of homeless people in the state. Second it is way too congested. I work in Santa Monica and traffic is horrible...everywhere is busy....! I would say move to a community that is smaller at least 15 miles away. Anywhere near West LA is a bad idea!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2008, 12:04 PM

7,091 posts, read 18,417,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traffic_tom View Post
Santa Monica is a TERRIBLE place to live. First it has one of the highest rates of homeless people in the state. Second it is way too congested. I work in Santa Monica and traffic is horrible...everywhere is busy....! I would say move to a community that is smaller at least 15 miles away. Anywhere near West LA is a bad idea!
for someone who ACTUALLY lives in Santa Monica, I love it and have no interest in living else where. the bums do not hang out in the residential areas of the city and traffic is only bad if you have to commute to SM for work. If you live here getting in and and out of the city is a cinch. sure its expensive, but its also a great place with ever ammenity you could hope for.

Old 08-26-2008, 02:16 PM

66 posts, read 131,689 times
I'd edit that statement to say Santa Monica is a TERRIBLE place to raise a family. LA has tons of amazing neighborhoods that are fun and clean and a fine area to live if you're single, or a double-income-no-kids (DINK) coupling, but raising a family? No way. Poor civic planning, high taxes and cost-of-living, lack of easy access to big box stores (you can't eat-out with three kids everyday) and progressive-to-the-point of regressive city politics/laws make it a very difficult place to live with all the freedoms you can enjoy in other parts of SoCal (or the country, for that matter).

Old 08-26-2008, 03:42 PM

5 posts, read 39,502 times
Default Dont Worry!

I just read all of your responses and I can only imagine what you must be thinking lol! Santa Monica is a GREAT place I live in LA and have only gone there for the Beach and to go shop, eat, etc. I dont know much about the residential area but I wouldnt recommend moving there. For someone to move here from another country to one of the busiest cities in LA I dont think is a good idea. I agree with someones post about looking into Orange County and commuting into Santa Monica. There are some nice areas in LA but the OC is a better way to go. If you look it up they have some of the safest cities in the US AND they DO have great schools. Some areas are VERY pricy but they are beautiful: San Clemente, Mission Viejo, Irvine, Fountain Valley and some others that the other poster listed. Very "community like" areas. I am a Recruiter so once you decide to move down here and need any assistance feel free to contact me at veronicasnetwork@gmail.com. By any chance is your husbands offer in the retail industry?

Old 08-26-2008, 06:33 PM

1,288 posts, read 4,578,748 times
I must add to my two cents about Santa Monica. It's an absolutely beautiful community to live in, especially if you have the money to live north of Wilshire--which is gorgeous and a complete dream of a neighborhood. Santa Monica Canyon is also great.

Agoura Hills is a very nice community as well. Its' newer and much more suburban, so it lacks the character, diversity, and energy of Santa Monica, but is nevertheless a very pleasant and safe community in which to raise a family. Also the schools are excellent.

The commute from Agoura Hills to Santa Monica is not so bad for what is considered normal in Southern California. You could take Malibu Canyon or Topanga Canyon to Pacific Coast Hwy which takes you right into Santa Monica. I have a friend who lived in Thousand Oaks (north of Agoura Hills) and commuted to work in Santa Monica for years. He and his wife now live in Malibu and he still commutes to the same job. On the flip side, the husband of a colleague of mine from work commutes from their home in Pacific Palisades to his job at Amgen in Westlake Village, which is also north of Agoura Hills. The point is, such commutes are very common in LA.

Old 08-27-2008, 02:08 AM

11 posts, read 33,773 times
Well that makes me feel better as, I have been looking at Agoura Hills with interest, still not sure it will happen as I do feel the wage will need to be bigger than will be offered as I wont be allowed to work.
The job is in the computer games industry

Old 03-03-2014, 01:32 PM

4 posts, read 3,845 times
Hi there Moving to Santa Monica, We have quite a community of English here. There are couple of English pubs and the shops. A lot of the schools are quite expensive. I can only recommend what I know, the Lighthouse Christian Academy, a small, family-feel school that will help you fit into the community immediately. In addition to great college prep, they have sports, drama and arts programs. Check us out at thelighthousechristianacademy.com I have my kids there, and I can rest assured they won't be falling into drugs or face bullies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles