U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What should be the new law?
Women should be able to walk around without shirts. 22 44.90%
Men should have to wear shirts. 6 12.24%
Keep it the same. 12 24.49%
Doesn't matter one way or the other. 9 18.37%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 09:20 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,429,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erosinspirit View Post
You are exactly right. Here in America we make a big deal about breasts. I spent some time in Germany visiting the spas over there. Most were men/women in the ame sauna and no clothes were allowed. There were people of all ages talking, visiting and it was no big deal. Here for all of our rhetoric about being progressive we are quiet the opposite when it comes to nudity/bare breasts, etc. And it is really not about whether someone has the "body" for it or not. I don't look at other people's face and say they don't have the "face" for being able to walk around with it showing. Do we make "non pretty" faces cover up with a mask now? Aging is normal and natural.
When we get over the childish attitude about breasts being "sexual" maybe we can get over being uptight about seeing a bare breast. No one is forcing someone else to go around that way. If a person wants to wear a fur coat in the summer time, it is their right. I think we would have a healthier society if we would learn to separate sex from nudity. It is NOT the same thing.
Breasts are sexual. They may have other uses as well for nursing, but they are also an erogenous zone. Anatomically just in terms of the density of nerve endings, they are erogenous zones. Having lived in Germany, yes there is a greater social acceptance of nudity, but regular exposure to nudity doesn't cause men to stop desexualizing breasts or make men any less likely to objectify women.

Lots of German tabloids like Bild have their own version of page 3 girls. The features in these tabloids regularly titillate. Titallation is also standard fare on television.

Instead the greater acceptance of nudity in Europe tends to just desensitize women to being objectified. In the US birddogging can be considered anything from just being rude all the way to sexual harrassment. In the US I have never had any women defend my right to birddog, but in Germany when went to the park and I saw lots of topless young womean and I was caught birddogging by American female traveling companion who was annoyed by what I was doing, the German lady said "he is a man, he is not gay, she is a pretty girl, what is the problem? You're just jealous" and then condemned the American girl for being a prude.

In the US, that just wouldn't happen. As a male with an occasional dirty mind, I really liked Germany a lot after that incident and I thought the women there had a much greater understanding of men's inherent sexual drives.

In Germany and in France a lot of the things that here would be considered sexual harrassment aren't considered sexual harrassment over there. If a boss wants to hire a receptionist based primarily on her appearance, that is just accepted as men being men. The work enviroment is also much more sexualized and women just accept it as the way things are.

As a male, in some respects I found the work enviroment as a much better enviroment for men, but I doubt women would see the situation the same way. Outside of work, I liked the greater acceptance of male sexuality in society, but in the work enviroment I do think the sexualized enviroment probably did hold back some women who probably would have advanced further here in the US based purely on their individual merit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2008, 10:27 PM

5,031 posts, read 11,052,934 times
The poll numbers indicate that the majority believe in full expression of the human body. The beauty of the female breast is a sight to behold & the fact that more & more women are willing to expose their beauty is a good thing. I do think it is only appropriate at the beach & in nightclubs. If upper body nudity were to be allowed in stores & on the street there would be massive car accidents & sexual attacks on females, I'm afraid

Old 11-05-2008, 12:38 PM

5,258 posts, read 7,787,752 times
I was in LA last week, and I saw a woman (around 30 or so) in the grocery store. She was wearing a tiny shirt that had been cropped so that it covers only the top half of her boobs (from the nipple upward), meaning that the bottoms of her breasts were exposed. Sure, she had a killer body, but I was a bit shocked to see this in a grocery store, of all places. There's nothing wrong with baring your midriff- I wear midriff-baring shirts most of the time myself- but I think that wearing something like what I just described is a bit too much and a bit out of place in most public instances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles