U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 10:26 PM

208 posts, read 891,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorcerer68 View Post
I grew up in the South Bay. I love the beach but left because it's B O R I N G
and architecturally dead. I loved the bike path and the breeze but once I moved up to Pasadena, I didn't ever want to live anywhere else. I got hooked by the jaw-dropping architecture, culture, glorious sunny winters and honest hot summers. The beach is beautiful but the accompanying town is very "grey". I had a hard time with the winter gloom which can last through the end of June. Others aren't bothered at all by it.

Some people wouldn't live anywhere but the SB and I was one until I went to Pasadena and fell head over heels in love with it. My friends and family from the SB didn't understand, my family from South Pas did. I didn't miss having to drive a long way every time I wanted some culture. I also learned what a walkable urban village was and once I did, didn't want to live any other way. There were things available to me I never had.

I think you'll like the SB better. Pasadena has plenty of adjacent trails and places to bike but I think it will be too hot for you in the summer. Daily temps of 90 are about average, high 90's aren't often but not unusual. The beach has the bike path and of course...the beach. Over the years I found myself going there less and less and I go on the weekends sometimes but I do miss parking on the Esplanade and watching the sunset.
i don't know enough about Pasadena to know what/where exactly "south pasadena" means. can you enlighten me??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2008, 10:36 PM

1,712 posts, read 5,341,905 times
The city of South Pasadena is its own city. It is located (guess where) south of Pasadena, between Los Angeles and San Marino, north of Alhambra.

Old 08-26-2008, 01:58 AM

208 posts, read 891,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timelesschild View Post
The city of South Pasadena is its own city. It is located (guess where) south of Pasadena, between Los Angeles and San Marino, north of Alhambra.
huh. never realized it was its own city!

Old 08-26-2008, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBayTodd View Post
huh. never realized it was its own city!
Yeah, it's small and sleepy but so pretty!!

Old 08-26-2008, 12:23 PM

144 posts, read 540,738 times
It's small and pretty but expensive, not quite as expensive as San Marino. The schools are on par with San Marino but since you're single that's probably not a factor. It's a great place to live if you can afford it because it's right next to Pasadena which probably has the best nightlife next to the hollywood/la area but you won't have to deal with what that entails when living in south pas.

Old 08-26-2008, 12:45 PM

Yes, and South Pas has apartments, which San Marino does not. And a train station. The apartments in South Pas are actually not all that expensive (relatively speaking), which is a pleasant surprise. It's the HOUSES ... omg ... LOL

Old 08-26-2008, 02:02 PM

144 posts, read 540,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timelesschild View Post
Yes, and South Pas has apartments, which San Marino does not. And a train station. The apartments in South Pas are actually not all that expensive (relatively speaking), which is a pleasant surprise. It's the HOUSES ... omg ... LOL
The one's on Amberwood Dr. are pretty affordable but a bit older.

Old 08-26-2008, 04:03 PM

479 posts, read 674,594 times
Thanks for the input, everyone.

I'm still undecided. I've always lived near the coast and am leaning towards So Bay. But I really like the feel of Pasadena/So Pas (tree lined streets, architecture, etc.). It's just got a lot more character than the cookie cutter 50's tract homes of the So Bay. Maybe I'll try it out for a year.

If I get a place in Pasadena, I'd be willing to apt swap with someone in the So Bay during the summer, if anyone's interested

Old 08-26-2008, 10:17 PM

686 posts, read 2,205,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark85 View Post
...my priorities (I know there will be compromises):

- Easy access to business districts with the best jobs
- Access to outdoor activities (cycling paths, hiking trails, etc.)
- Nice climate; not too hot
- A quiet, peaceful, neighborhood with a somewhat suburban feel
- Liberal and diverse
- Convenient to night spots
- Lots of attractive, single women around
1) Easy access to business districts with the best jobs - Pasadena for this. Easier access to LA downtown, Burbank, Glendale, San Fernando Valley, etc.
2) Access to outdoor activities (cycling paths, hiking trails, etc.). I would give this one to Pasadena. South Bay has the beaches and easier access to Ranco Palos Verdes. Pasadena has cycling and very easy access to a multitude of hiking opportunities in the Angeles National Forest. You are about hour or so closer to the mountains if you want to go skiing.
3) A quiet, peaceful, neighborhood with a somewhat suburban feel - Again I would give this one to Pasadena. One of my biggest complaints with the South Bay (especially true the closer you get to the ocean) is the density. Lots of condos, townhomes, 2 on a lot condos, etc. Limited parking and always feels crowded.
4) Liberal and diverse - Slight edge to Pasadena. Lots of wealth induced conservatism in the South Bay but lots of old money, waspy type of conservatism in the Pasadena area. On the other hand there is lots of youth induced liberalism in the South Bay and Pasadena is the home of All Saints, the church sued last year by the IRS for allegedly supporting democrats. South Bay is a little more white bread than Pasadena.
5) Convenient to night spots - Depends on what kind of night spots. More of a bar scene in the South Bay. Eaiser access and more choices of theatre, music, etc. in Pasadena. From Pasadena there is easy access to the cultural attractions downtown and in Hollywood.
6) Lots of attractive, single women around. South Bay hands down.

Old 08-26-2008, 11:05 PM

1,749 posts, read 7,547,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetscenes View Post
1) Easy access to business districts with the best jobs - Pasadena for this. Easier access to LA downtown, Burbank, Glendale, San Fernando Valley, etc.
2) Access to outdoor activities (cycling paths, hiking trails, etc.). I would give this one to Pasadena. South Bay has the beaches and easier access to Ranco Palos Verdes. Pasadena has cycling and very easy access to a multitude of hiking opportunities in the Angeles National Forest. You are about hour or so closer to the mountains if you want to go skiing.
3) A quiet, peaceful, neighborhood with a somewhat suburban feel - Again I would give this one to Pasadena. One of my biggest complaints with the South Bay (especially true the closer you get to the ocean) is the density. Lots of condos, townhomes, 2 on a lot condos, etc. Limited parking and always feels crowded.
4) Liberal and diverse - Slight edge to Pasadena. Lots of wealth induced conservatism in the South Bay but lots of old money, waspy type of conservatism in the Pasadena area. On the other hand there is lots of youth induced liberalism in the South Bay and Pasadena is the home of All Saints, the church sued last year by the IRS for allegedly supporting democrats. South Bay is a little more white bread than Pasadena.
5) Convenient to night spots - Depends on what kind of night spots. More of a bar scene in the South Bay. Eaiser access and more choices of theatre, music, etc. in Pasadena. From Pasadena there is easy access to the cultural attractions downtown and in Hollywood.
6) Lots of attractive, single women around. South Bay hands down.
Your post is sensational and I agree with everything except #4. I found Pasadena light years ahead in acceptance and tolerance. Yes, it's WASPY with some old money still remaining but the residents are quite socially diverse and everyone seems to coexist wonderfully. IMHO the South Bay is the most conservative part of L.A. County. It's a different world. If I was a straight guy, I may have never seen this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or