U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 03:06 AM

956 posts, read 2,646,924 times

Advertisements

Last year I went to the St. John's ER for stitches, and they kept me waiting for quite a while -- at one point holed away in a room for more than an hour without one single person to look in on me. Recently, somebody I know went to the St. John's ER and had to wait several hours for the hospital pharmacy to send something to the ER, and had additional waiting to do as well -- what should have taken a few hours actually took 4.5. Has anybody else had poor service at St. John's? I've heard that other hospitals, such as Good Samaritan, are ten times better at serving their clients.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 07:41 PM

8 posts, read 33,589 times
I thought all ER's took that long. I had a friend in Arizona that waited 10 hours in the ER before he got to see the doctor. I think the problem is that everyone goes to the ER, and there aren't enough doctors to see them all quickly.

Old 08-27-2008, 07:48 PM

32 posts, read 142,302 times
Yeah, it unfortunately sounds like a pretty typical ER experience to me as well =(

Old 08-27-2008, 11:28 PM

1,297 posts, read 4,933,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full-Blooded American View Post
Last year I went to the St. John's ER for stitches, and they kept me waiting for quite a while -- at one point holed away in a room for more than an hour without one single person to look in on me. Recently, somebody I know went to the St. John's ER and had to wait several hours for the hospital pharmacy to send something to the ER, and had additional waiting to do as well -- what should have taken a few hours actually took 4.5. Has anybody else had poor service at St. John's? I've heard that other hospitals, such as Good Samaritan, are ten times better at serving their clients.
It generally always takes longer than one would expect and Depends on what they have going on at the time.

They have a fast track system which is designed to expedite less severe cases but will direct resources to assist patients in more critical condition first.

St Johns would be one of my first choices depending on the situation of course.

There are other private critical care facilities you can visit in the future for minor issues.

Old 08-28-2008, 07:48 AM

5,612 posts, read 13,240,020 times
The thing people routinely forget when they go to the emergency room is the word "emergency". This is not the doctor's office. You are not seen in the order in which you arrive. You are seen in the order of the severity of your case. If you only needed stitches, you were low priority. It sucks.

But think about it like this: if you or someone you care about went to the emergency room because they were having a stroke or an asthma attack or a heart attack? Would you want them to go put stitches in someone becuase that person can in first or tend to the life-or-death situation?

Let's take it down a notch: a adult complaining of mild (3 on a 10 scale) abdominal pain without knowing what was causing it or the person who needs stitches? I don't want to be anywhere near an emergency room that would attend to the stitches first.

Old 08-28-2008, 05:43 PM

Well, for starters, I heard people laughing and joking in the next room over from me, yet apparently nobody had time check to make sure I hadn't passed out. When I was finally done, I didn't see anybody running about like it was a big night of emergencies. And for crying out loud, why should it take a pharmacy two hours to supply the drugs for an IV? How many after-hour emergency prescriptions could there possibly be? And BTW, when I was there I caught them trying to bill me $100 for a piece of gauze. If they have the time and effort to sneak in extra items on my bill, why can't they have at least a little better service, with all the extra income from ripping people off?

Old 08-28-2008, 08:48 PM

5,612 posts, read 13,240,020 times
Did you go to these people you heard laughing and ask them about a timeframe for service? Or did you just sit there and stew? btw, who were the people laughing? Are you sure that they were hospital staff or maybe another patient with their family?

Thank you for revealing another misconception: the pharamacy only supplies the emergency room. The pharmacy supplies the entire hospital, including the surgical wings, maternity ward AND emergency room.

Old 08-28-2008, 11:01 PM

113 posts, read 343,073 times
Ever think about getting better health coverage?

Old 08-29-2008, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
Did you go to these people you heard laughing and ask them about a timeframe for service? Or did you just sit there and stew? btw, who were the people laughing? Are you sure that they were hospital staff or maybe another patient with their family?

Thank you for revealing another misconception: the pharamacy only supplies the emergency room. The pharmacy supplies the entire hospital, including the surgical wings, maternity ward AND emergency room.
I heard hospital staff yucking it up with some Hollywood show business types (walls are not particularly thick). Furthermore, I have no misconception. A pharmacy supplies medicine, and there's not good reason somebody in St. John's "fasttrack" should wait hours for an IV, especially given what hospitals charge. How big a workload can a pharmacy have between 6:30 and 9:30 where that it takes several hours for one prescription? Have you seen the pharmacy and how many employees it can accommodate? Furthermore, thank you for revealing another misconception: parroting what you hear on a radio show call-in or read in the L.A. Times constitutes a legitimate counterpoint.

Old 08-29-2008, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundman123 View Post
Ever think about getting better health coverage?
Sure, I'll get the one where a helicopter lands on your lawn and takes you to the hospital on the other side of the city or county. How much does that one cost?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles