Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 08:16 AM

2 posts, read 10,937 times

Advertisements

Hi there, i'm from spain and i want to live in los angeles but i don't know if its hard or not to get a basic job in hospitality services or as a seller in a shop, stuffs like that.
I have no visa i tried for 5 years to win the green card throught the lottery but i got no chance that why i decided to come as a tourist and set up if i enjoy being there. I know it's dangerous regarding the law but now i don't mind anymore i'm feed up living in europe and ready to take this risk, so what do you think about hat ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 09:39 AM

1,398 posts, read 6,605,139 times
Normally I am encouraging of the adventurous young viewpoint, but you stated "what do you think about that?" My blunt answer would be that you will take a job in hospitality or retail away from a deserving American citizen desperate for entry-level employment by being paid "under the table" as we say here. Furthermore, you will be a terrible contribution to society here with your stated attitude towards breaking laws of "I don't mind any more" and "I'm fed up."

What is it you don't like about Spain that you think you'll never encounter here? There are trade-offs in life in everything.

Old 08-27-2008, 10:50 AM

32 posts, read 171,407 times
Do you have a college degree? Or 10 years specialized experience in your industry? Having one of those makes it much easier.

Old 08-27-2008, 11:03 AM

8,943 posts, read 11,774,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pakito View Post
Hi there, i'm from spain and i want to live in los angeles but i don't know if its hard or not to get a basic job in hospitality services or as a seller in a shop, stuffs like that.
I have no visa i tried for 5 years to win the green card throught the lottery but i got no chance that why i decided to come as a tourist and set up if i enjoy being there. I know it's dangerous regarding the law but now i don't mind anymore i'm feed up living in europe and ready to take this risk, so what do you think about hat ?
Contact these people. They might be able to help you.

Contact Us (http://www.ice.gov/about/contact.htm - broken link)

Old 08-27-2008, 11:14 AM

672 posts, read 2,174,512 times
It is hard to know for sure, but, something like a quarter of all workers in the city of LA are undocumented, so, it is not hard to find work without papers, apparently.

So, here's the plan.

Fly to Mexico. Cross the Rio Grande at night. Move to South or East LA. Start off by taking a job with a unlicenced construction company (if you have some skills) or a cash-only lawn and garden company (if you have no skills). They are cash only businesses that don't require documents. If you are desparate, you can hang out in front of Home Depot and try to get a job as a day laborer. In time, you can get a counterfit drivers licence and make up a social security number. They don't have to be good forgeries. They just have to be good enough that a company that hires you can pretend that they checked your documents. From there you can get a job in restaurant work or a licensed construction company.

In the mean time, have a child born here in the US. Then, as the relative of an American citizen, you can apply for a family reunification visa, which is easier to get than a lottery visa.

Change jobs frequently. Try to never give out your address. Duck immigration for four years until you reunification visa comes through. Then, voila, you're a permanent resident.

In the meantime, I'm going to travel by boat from Africa to Lanzarote, declare myself a refuge, and when I get to Spain, they'll welcome me with open arms. No problem.

Old 08-27-2008, 11:55 AM

2 posts, read 10,937 times
Sorry guys,..... my question is very stupid !!! i was so desesperated i could live in the usa i thought to come illegally but it's the wrong way
i'm disgusted of living here (25 years) because of mentalities and the european way of life ....i don't appreciate it. I spent 2 months in new york, 3 weeks in miami and i liked it so much.... i better try to find an other issue less suicidal
Thanks for replying

Old 08-27-2008, 12:02 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,417,835 times
It's hard to get a job as a resident.

Old 08-27-2008, 04:13 PM

1,749 posts, read 8,336,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxTown View Post
It's hard to get a job as a resident.
Really?

Old 08-27-2008, 04:15 PM

1,749 posts, read 8,336,051 times
Vegas is the best place to go if you're foriegn and want to work in hospitality. They'll sometimes sign a work visa (name escapes me). No guarantees but I've seen it happen a lot. Flipside is that if you quit or get fired, your visa goes away.

Old 08-28-2008, 10:41 AM

938 posts, read 4,092,849 times
Of course not!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles