U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 11:07 AM

2,498 posts, read 10,074,761 times

Advertisements

Just a suggestion that might work. If you live in Santa Monica you could use the Big Blue Bus, which has decent service around Santa Monica and then when you need a car, catch the Big Blue Bus to the UCLA campus. You join Zip Car and you just tap your Zip card to the windshield and get to use that car for the day when you need a car.
You can find out about Zip Car here: Zipcar - Car sharing, cars by the hour or day

My neighbor's kid is at UCLA and does just fine without a car. Granted, you don't have to leave campus a lot and Westwood is a more walkable area, but when he does leave campus, he said lots of popular spots like Santa Monica or Hollywood are just a short bus ride away. He is in his senior year and decided to join Zip Car and uses it only every once and a while. My son and I did a tour of UCLA two days ago and actually took public transportation to see if he could handle living there without a car. We rode the Metrolink to Union Station, rode the subway to Wilshire/Western and then rode Rapid Bus #720 West to UCLA. It took about two hours and ten minutes all the way from South Orange County. My husband drove to LAX that same day and left a little bit earlier than us and it took him one hour and 50 minutes to get to LAX, a few miles short of UCLA. In my opinion, this is comparable time wise during rush hour, but when there isn't traffic, driving is going to be faster.

You can try public transport and it might work for you. People in other places walk with their groceries and stuff, ride the subway with their luggage, etc... but in LA it just isn't the cultural norm. Try it. You might last a day, a week, a month, or a year. In my opinion, it doesn't hurt to try, and if it doesn't work out, there are plenty of auto dealers waiting to sell you a car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2008, 11:42 AM

33 posts, read 50,349 times
I live in Marina Del Rey and if you stick with one of the Apartments off of Lincoln you are going to be fine without a car.

I currently live in Marina Terrace and since I've moved here in december of 2007, I've only driven maybe 3k miles on my car. I have two shopping centers at my disposal within walking distance (under 10 mins of walking!). I have friends that live here that work in el segundo that don't drive cars either.

What i'm saying is that IT is possible to live without a car in LA. Whether you want to is another story. Although I've cut down my milage alot (trying to go more green here), I still need to drive in order to visit my GF or go on dates. Also going to las vegas with a few friends once in a while is quite nice too for a weekend get away..

I say give it a shot for the first few months in santa monica or the marina. You can survive without a car quite easily but, keep in mind you are probably only limited to the southbay/west la area and possibly only downtown (not like you really need to go down there...i still haven't been inside the city) for mass transit within a reasonable time (no one wants to sit/transfer busses for 2hours or so).

Old 08-28-2008, 12:16 PM

3 posts, read 14,216 times
Wow, tons of amazing detailed responses! Thanks for all the differing opinions everyone. Great info on the bus system and places to live. I'm really leaning to trying a car-less life for a few months. I can always buy another car if it really becomes a nuisance.

I actually had somewhat of a carless life in North Carolina. I only had to drive it 5 miles to a grocery store once a week or to go out of town. Nightlife, my job, various girlfriends were all within walking distance of my condo.

Old 08-28-2008, 12:40 PM

1,749 posts, read 7,544,963 times
I lived carless in the Hollywood Hills and then Los Feliz for 4 months. This is a corridor of the Red Line and tons of buses. I now take PT regularly. I took it this morning. Several years back PT was awful here but it's really improved. Metro has really stepped up with more lines and more frequent service. Big Blue Bus has friendly drivers, it's a different experience...kinda like riding on a school bus. Just my take. Many lines converge near the pier/3rd street so you can get pretty much anywhere from there. Lots of people ride bikes and scooters.

I have 2 cars but take PT a lot. Sometimes I don't feel like driving, others it's cheaper than gas and I don't have to worry about Parking (this is good when going downtown which it sounds like you probably won't do much).

Old 08-28-2008, 12:58 PM

2,498 posts, read 10,074,761 times
Here is a list of the PT operators that you would use in the Santa Monica area. Check the route maps and timetables and be sure they cover your work and get you there in time. Also see if you can get to some other areas you may want to visit in one or less bus transfers.

Santa Monica Big Blue Bus (you will use this the most in SM): Welcome to the Big Blue Bus
LA Metro: Metro Maps
Culver City Bus: Culver City :: Culver City Bus (http://www.culvercity.org/bus/bus.asp - broken link)
LADOT: Welcome to LADOT Transit Online

Old 10-25-2008, 09:41 AM

3 posts, read 14,216 times
Hi guys, just wanted to post an update and say thanks for all the advice. I ended up buying a new Mazda last month and driving it from the East Coast to West. The trip was fantastic.

And yes, after living here a month, you definitely need a car living in L.A.

Old 10-25-2008, 02:46 PM

938 posts, read 3,569,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corteloren View Post
Hi guys, just wanted to post an update and say thanks for all the advice. I ended up buying a new Mazda last month and driving it from the East Coast to West. The trip was fantastic.

Told ya

Old 10-25-2008, 08:32 PM

5,612 posts, read 13,237,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corteloren View Post

Finally someone who gets it!

Old 12-22-2013, 01:16 PM

25 posts, read 40,133 times
You move to LA: you need a car.
Move and try to live your life here without a car: after a month you'll realize what we are talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or