U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 10:06 PM

488 posts, read 1,303,498 times

Advertisements

I was doing some work just south of Eagle Rock today and stopped at the store for gas and a drink. I took my cup in, got some ice and filled it with water in the bathroom. When I paid for the gas I told the cashier it was my cup and I just got some water. I think she thought I had gotten bottled water off the shelf because she asked where I got it. Seeing her reaction after I told her you would have thought I had filled the cup with motor oil. Is the water safe in LA. She was pretty young so I thought maybe kids don't know that people once drank regular water. I have been drinking water from the tap for the seven weeks I have been here with no ill effects (that I know of). Should I get my affairs in order?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 10:08 PM

1,712 posts, read 5,341,046 times
LOL!!! That's the best laugh I've had all day. What a funny story....

6,203 posts, read 15,015,619 times
While I'm sure that the water in L.A. safe (I drink it every morning in my cup of coffee), it tastes terrible. Yuck. But if that doesn't bother you, that's great. You'll save money on bottled water or filters!

3,413 posts, read 6,315,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msnorman67 View Post
I was doing some work just south of Eagle Rock today and stopped at the store for gas and a drink. I took my cup in, got some ice and filled it with water in the bathroom. When I paid for the gas I told the cashier it was my cup and I just got some water. I think she thought I had gotten bottled water off the shelf because she asked where I got it. Seeing her reaction after I told her you would have thought I had filled the cup with motor oil. Is the water safe in LA. She was pretty young so I thought maybe kids don't know that people once drank regular water. I have been drinking water from the tap for the seven weeks I have been here with no ill effects (that I know of). Should I get my affairs in order?
No, you're fine. The cashier was just a little strange or like you say, very young.

Old 08-27-2008, 10:17 PM

1,204 posts, read 3,910,101 times
Go to Target. Pur water filter with a filter... 20 bucks

Old 08-27-2008, 10:19 PM

686 posts, read 2,204,950 times
Only thing I would worry about is filling your water cup in the bathroom at a gas station. The water in LA is perfectly safe to drink although always not the best tasting (really depends on the pipes in the house). I use a water filter on our kitchen sink and drink it like that.

It's kind of funny how big of a business it is for bottled water, especially in the poorer imigrant neighborhoods. People are always lined up at those water machines you find outside of a store. Maybe if you come from a place where you would be crazy to drink the water it's hard to change that attitude.

Old 08-27-2008, 10:54 PM

2,516 posts, read 7,549,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetscenes View Post
Only thing I would worry about is filling your water cup in the bathroom at a gas station. The water in LA is perfectly safe to drink although always not the best tasting (really depends on the pipes in the house). I use a water filter on our kitchen sink and drink it like that.

It's kind of funny how big of a business it is for bottled water, especially in the poorer imigrant neighborhoods. People are always lined up at those water machines you find outside of a store. Maybe if you come from a place where you would be crazy to drink the water it's hard to change that attitude.
in places where one "would be crazy to drink the water," the water doesn't have any adverse affect on the locals, so i don't see how being from such a place would affect a poor immigrant's perception of the potability LA's water supply. i don't drink it because it has a horrible chemical/metallic taste, and i'm hardly an immigrant...poor or otherwise.

Old 08-27-2008, 10:57 PM

488 posts, read 1,303,498 times
Default Thanks.

It does taste different than the city water in North GA but having grown up on well water in the rural south in the 70's all city water tastes funny to me. The only reason I have ever bought bottled water was for the bottle. Also, point taken about gas station bathrooms. I feel confident having read your posts that I will not develop gigantism or grow any vestigial appendages in the near future.

Old 08-27-2008, 11:09 PM

236 posts, read 703,908 times
The water is safe and clean when it leaves the plant, but the plant doesn't control the local pipes the water flows through to reach your house and within your house. (This was actually explained to me in detail by a friend at the Metropolitan Water District.) Parts of my house still have really old pipes including the kitchen, so I filter all drinking water.

Old 08-27-2008, 11:41 PM

1,297 posts, read 4,933,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msnorman67 View Post
I drink tap water all the time, bottled as well.

I think the reaction was based on the association of your obtaining a refreshment in a room frequently off limits and considered "Ground Zero"

See example:

YouTube - Next Friday!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles