U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2008, 04:59 PM

22,151 posts, read 26,611,024 times

Advertisements

Northridge is a nice area overall and certainly safter than some other valley locations like Sun Valley, Pacoima, North Hollywood and Sylmar.

Here is a photo taken from the intersection of Reseda Blvd. and Devonshire St., looking northwest:
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2008, 05:03 PM

3,413 posts, read 6,314,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConsideringLA View Post
...- if you're going to invest hundreds of thousands of dollars "helping someone out", invest a weekend and a few hundred bucks to fly out.
Please.

Old 08-28-2008, 05:48 PM

1,044 posts, read 3,349,052 times
Quote:
Cite your source for crime stats. Sometimes these are compiled based on the city, which Northridge IS NOT - it is a community/neighborhood in the city of Los Angeles. Sometimes the stats are based on the police precinct, which perhaps could be skewed by a neighboring area. You honestly need to drill in and do more homework than visiting a web site and plugging in a zip code, which may simply map you to LA or Pacoima or Panorama City's stats.
Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed

I will probably be flying out there in the next few weeks or so (if my job lets me) to see what is going on.

I appreciate all the honest input and helpful advice I have been getting here. If anyone can think of anything more to add, please do so.

Last edited by Yac; 09-01-2008 at 08:26 AM..

Old 08-28-2008, 06:21 PM

1,044 posts, read 3,349,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Northridge is a nice area overall and certainly safter than some other valley locations like Sun Valley, Pacoima, North Hollywood and Sylmar.

Here is a photo taken from the intersection of Reseda Blvd. and Devonshire St., looking northwest:
Thanks for posting that photo. Looks like many of the places I've been to in the LA area.

I have bad memories of Sylmar and North Hollywood, although things might have changed since I've been there.

Old 08-28-2008, 06:43 PM

770 posts, read 3,324,041 times
In this market, no investment-based purchase in the middle swath of the Valley (which would be this part of Northridge) would pay off for anyone except the real estate agent and loan officer. Buying a place to help someone out isn't doing the right thing unless it's right for you.

Old 08-28-2008, 06:52 PM

686 posts, read 2,204,503 times
Overall Northridge is a good bedroom community in the Valley. I don't know if I would call any of it "gorgeous" but along with loads of 50's era ranch style homes there are some nice pockets of big homes on big lots. Along with that are some pockets of older, higher density apartments that can be pretty run down with a not so great tenant base. One pocket of this that comes to mind is around Parthenia and Tampa. I remember that recently there was a wave of gang related shootings in the valley. This seems to have passed but it may be the reason your crime stats are somewhat skewed.

Do your homework. If it's a good deal don't be afraid to move on it. And don't forget about the hassles of owning and managing a property if you don't live in the area.

Old 08-28-2008, 08:05 PM

26,346 posts, read 80,751,010 times
I know exactly where that neighborhood is. A couple years ago, I would park my truck around Prairie and White Oak there at lunch right in that neighborhood and swim laps at CSUN at lunch. Very nice homes. It was nice when I went to CSUN in the early 1980s and it was nice three years ago. No way is high crime there. Beautiful ranch style homes. A little north of there is where some of the frat houses were back in the early 1980s, maybe still there now, ZBT, Sigma Chi, and others as I recall. There are a few dirt streets tucked in there too. Remember, Northridge has a old horse culture - a lot of movie stars in the 1940s and 1950s lived there with their horses. Devonshire Downs was a horse race track and a venue for punk rock concerts 25 years ago. Black Flag, Fear, Circle Jerks,...that was fun.

Old 08-28-2008, 11:26 PM

419 posts, read 1,261,797 times
Looks like the crime issue, as reported by the devonshire station, is related directly to robbery:
Northridge, Los Angeles, CA on LA Life

Betcha a starbucks latte the vast majority of the reported robberies are located in the CSUN parking lot...

Old 08-29-2008, 05:11 AM

26,346 posts, read 80,751,010 times
Quote:

Betcha a starbucks latte the vast majority of the reported robberies are located in the CSUN parking lot...
I was thinking the same thing. CSUN has to throw off the statistical comparisons. It's a nice neighborhood. A little far from freeways though. The 405 is the closest but a lot of people like to get right on the freeway and zoom to work. From there someone would have a few miles of surface streets to get to a freeway for the commute.

Schools in the area are OK, not the absolute best but pretty good:

California School Performance Maps

Old 08-29-2008, 08:41 AM

12,977 posts, read 28,803,617 times
The crime is high because of the large spillover of hispanic gangs from Winnetka, Van Nuys, North Hills and Canoga Park. Just visit the Northridge Mall on any given day and you'll see a lot of Mexican gang bangy types (as well as a lot of teenagers) hanging around.

You're purchasing a home to help someone in need? I suggest you work with your realtor to make sure you are getting a good value for your money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles