U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 11:50 AM

1,044 posts, read 3,349,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sejinro View Post
I have lived in Northridge (Porter Ranch) for the past 7 years. The area is generally safe but it is still part of the San Fernando Valley (city of Los Angeles) which I think is not really a desirable place to live. I say this because of the poor LAUSD school system unless your kids can get into the magnet program. I went to CSUN as well and lived off-campus on Zelzah and my girlfriend's was broken into and radio stolen. In Porter Ranch, my neighbor's car was stolen along with his bike, and we live in a gated community. I guess these are petty crimes and not bodily-harm crimes but still...not the most desirable place to live unless you have to because of work or other circumstances.
I appreciate your honesty. I am sure it's not a horrible area and if I was only planning on renting I would do it in a heartbeat. Buying property there is what feels discomforting to me, given the deflating value of homes and the crime statistics. The nice part about the area is the close proximity to LA and the freeway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2008, 11:54 AM

3,413 posts, read 6,315,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITChick View Post
The problem with this person is that they are somewhat spoiled. They lived in a home for most of their life (lost it due to over financing and being fired from a job) and they also don't want to put their huge amount of possessions in storage so they can downsize their life.

I know I can hear some of you yelling at me that I'm a fool, but I'm trying to show some compassion and my friend knows this by trying to find me an investment that they could live in.
ITchick, better you then me. I don't have any friends who would ALLOW me to buy them a house. Not if I was a billionaire. They would feel that was taking advantage. They'd never borrow money unless they knew the exact date and time they would pay it back.
I'm trying to drum up some sympathy for your friends, who don't want to downsize when their new circumstances warrant it, but instead are willing to put a financial burden on you. Too bad they don't have as much compassion for you as you have for them. But then, like I said, better you then me. Good-luck.

Old 08-29-2008, 02:10 PM

686 posts, read 2,204,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITChick View Post
This is what I was thinking. Can you list any other "pockets" of higher density apartments in the area that might have some crime issues that you know of? Thanks.
There are similar apartments along Roscoe Boulevard just west of the airport and around Lindley Avenue. I also remember lots of apartments along Devonshire and Chatsworth. Just west of the 405 there are lots of similar apartments but this is more Van Nuys than Northridge.

Old 08-29-2008, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laysayfair View Post
ITchick, better you then me. I don't have any friends who would ALLOW me to buy them a house. Not if I was a billionaire. They would feel that was taking advantage. They'd never borrow money unless they knew the exact date and time they would pay it back.
I'm trying to drum up some sympathy for your friends, who don't want to downsize when their new circumstances warrant it, but instead are willing to put a financial burden on you. Too bad they don't have as much compassion for you as you have for them. But then, like I said, better you then me. Good-luck.
Thanks.

I'm certainly no billionaire either. I do have my doubts but I'm trying to see the positive in all this.

Old 08-29-2008, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetscenes View Post
There are similar apartments along Roscoe Boulevard just west of the airport and around Lindley Avenue. I also remember lots of apartments along Devonshire and Chatsworth. Just west of the 405 there are lots of similar apartments but this is more Van Nuys than Northridge.
Thanks for the details. I'm going to look into this more.

Old 08-29-2008, 05:21 PM

In case anyone else was interested, I think I found some of my answers here:
Is there any snob appeal to living in Northridge? ;-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles