U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 11:00 AM

17,414 posts, read 18,275,659 times

Advertisements

In certain parts of LA, you have to "fit in" to the image that businesses those areas are seeking to portray. If you mainly work on the Westside, within the "industry" or more affluent areas, looking good will be the key. There are always exceptions to the rule but this is basically true. Also, the better you look, the more you get paid and the higher paying jobs are mostly on the Westside.

If you are in areas of greater LA that are less affluent and/or more suburban, the less looks will matter. The lower paying jobs are in these areas as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2008, 11:58 AM

3,254 posts, read 5,258,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
LA is the 11th fattest city. Sort of like I wrote earlier in this thread.
I skimmed the thread. I was just replying to the person who said they moved to LA and got healthier. I just don't see that happenning unless you are an actor living on the westside where the pressure is FIERCE.

Old 12-23-2008, 12:03 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,402,860 times
LA is jammed with rosie o'donnell lookalikes.

Old 12-23-2008, 12:15 PM

147 posts, read 338,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
In certain parts of LA, you have to "fit in" to the image that businesses those areas are seeking to portray. If you mainly work on the Westside, within the "industry" or more affluent areas, looking good will be the key. There are always exceptions to the rule but this is basically true. Also, the better you look, the more you get paid and the higher paying jobs are mostly on the Westside.

If you are in areas of greater LA that are less affluent and/or more suburban, the less looks will matter. The lower paying jobs are in these areas as well.
I can't believe I'm reading this. You can't make this stuff up.

Old 12-23-2008, 12:29 PM

7,091 posts, read 18,417,215 times
bottom line, LA is like any other cosmopolitan city in the world where people like to look nice and dress nice. It is no different in NY, SF, Miami, or any big city in Europe. Don't forget though that there are fat people in all of those cities as well, considerably less in Europe though.

Old 12-23-2008, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
bottom line, LA is like any other cosmopolitan city in the world where people like to look nice and dress nice. It is no different in NY, SF, Miami, or any big city in Europe. Don't forget though that there are fat people in all of those cities as well, considerably less in Europe though.

L.A. is a ghetto, comparable to Rio De Janeiro. It does have it's isolated areas of wealth and comfort and if you act and dress appropriately they may let you in and play make believe "industry insider".

Old 12-23-2008, 01:07 PM

7,091 posts, read 18,417,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical Raul View Post
L.A. is a ghetto, comparable to Rio De Janeiro. It does have it's isolated areas of wealth and comfort.
LA has its ghettos, but they don't compare to Rio's ghettos, I've been there and seen them. Not many fat people in Rio either, but there are defintiely some. Nothing like a huge, dimply ass with only a thong covering it.

Old 12-23-2008, 01:11 PM

I'll be back in L.A. and I will give you a tour of the L.A. ghettos, they may not be as drastic as Rio's but they are very significant.

In Riverside county they have some very nasty encampments known as trailer parks, and that's basically in your own backyard.

There is a very significant disparity of income throughout this country and it sticks out like a sore thumb in So. Cal. when you take off your blinders.

All the best.

http://www.catholiccharitiesusa.org/NetCommunity/Page.aspx?pid=1149 (broken link)

Old 12-24-2008, 12:00 AM

27 posts, read 81,986 times
Default Show me the money

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesandbeck View Post
How much of this applies to the men of LA? (outside of Hollywood)

Do the men who don't work in the entertainment media industry need to look like models to make it in the LA workforce and to make it with the LA ladies?
No of course not. Men don't have to be good looking in this town--as long as they are rich. I could be wrong, and wish it wasn't so, but thats what I've observed.

Old 12-24-2008, 12:19 AM

948 posts, read 3,355,410 times
L.A.
LA
Do you guys know the difference??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or