Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 04:38 PM

110 posts, read 320,620 times

Advertisements

LA is a self-conscious place to live
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2008, 05:25 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,638,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clinton167 View Post
Just out of interest, I wonder what a US size 4 is the equivalent to? I always thought it was a British size 8, but I consider that to be thin and apparently in Hollywood if you're bigger than that, you're doomed.
Seeing as I'm a UK 10, I better start the diet now...
it's hard to say. back in the good ol' days when i was a size 4, i tried on lots of clothes in london, and nothing smaller than a UK12 fit properly. a few years and one dress size later, thomas pink arrived stateside, and i bought shirts that are labeled UK12/US10. only one still fits, although they are all presumably the same size. karen millen equates a US4/UK8, US6/UK10, and so on, but i always have to buy her clothes at least one size "too big."

as far as i can tell there is no more consistency in UK/US size equivalents than there is in US sizes from one manufacturer to the next, or a single manufacturer from season to season. lately, i find that size labels are useful reminders for me to get more exercise, but not so great for determining in advance if a garment will fit.

Old 08-29-2008, 05:35 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,449,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
it's hard to say. back in the good ol' days when i was a size 4, i tried on lots of clothes in london, and nothing smaller than a UK12 fit properly. a few years and one dress size later, thomas pink arrived stateside, and i bought shirts that are labeled UK12/US10. only one still fits, although they are all presumably the same size. karen millen equates a US4/UK8, US6/UK10, and so on, but i always have to buy her clothes at least one size "too big."

as far as i can tell there is no more consistency in UK/US size equivalents than there is in US sizes from one manufacturer to the next, or a single manufacturer from season to season. lately, i find that size labels are useful reminders for me to get more exercise, but not so great for determining in advance if a garment will fit.
Somebody needs to hit the clothing industry over the head until they make sizes mean something. Its the same thing with men's clothes, especially pants and shorts. One brand might be loose in a 34" waist and with another I won't be able to even pull 36" up all the way. WTF is that? Doesn't anyone know what an inch is?

Old 08-29-2008, 05:59 PM

1,069 posts, read 3,272,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clinton167 View Post
Just out of interest, I wonder what a US size 4 is the equivalent to? I always thought it was a British size 8, but I consider that to be thin and apparently in Hollywood if you're bigger than that, you're doomed.
Seeing as I'm a UK 10, I better start the diet now...
Six

Old 08-29-2008, 06:11 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,490,650 times
You will be fine! Real life is not TV type Hollywood.

There are plenty of people of all types in LA.

Dawn

Old 08-29-2008, 10:14 PM

7,731 posts, read 13,428,520 times
Quote:
Do you have to be Thin in LA?
Of course not.

Old 08-31-2008, 06:23 AM

488 posts, read 1,513,209 times
I feel like I have to get back in shape before I can do what I want to do. And I don't even know what that is. I know that I never really thought about my age until I arrived in LA. Even so, I don't give a rat's red ass! I think they just hold the mirror a little closer around here.

Old 08-31-2008, 08:16 AM

7,731 posts, read 13,428,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msnorman67 View Post
I feel like I have to get back in shape before I can do what I want to do. And I don't even know what that is. I know that I never really thought about my age until I arrived in LA. Even so, I don't give a rat's red ass! I think they just hold the mirror a little closer around here.
After living in both California and Utah, I can honestly say that there is much more pressure to be perfect here than in California.

Old 08-31-2008, 04:53 PM

479 posts, read 1,236,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cottonwood2420 View Post
After living in both California and Utah, I can honestly say that there is much more pressure to be perfect here than in California.
Why do you say that? Is it because of the Mormon influence?

Old 08-31-2008, 06:35 PM

672 posts, read 2,175,312 times
Los Angeles is a city of achievers, and as such, it is important to be in shape to project an image of success. Health and confidence come in all shapes and sizes, but, you will do better in this town if you are the healthy and confident version of you. I am not suggesting that you try to become what the horrid women's magazines have decreed. But, most people in high image industries spend some time exercising or doing sports. You should, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles