U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 09:51 PM

37 posts, read 135,423 times

Advertisements

Check out a website for housing prices
www.themls.com

What you are looking for sounds like Orange County. Don't know why you think lots of SUV/Minivans = nice suburban lifestyle though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2008, 10:01 PM

419 posts, read 1,262,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orthopodfrancis View Post
Check out a website for housing prices
www.themls.com

What you are looking for sounds like Orange County. Don't know why you think lots of SUV/Minivans = nice suburban lifestyle though.
Only problem is the job from the OP is in Burbank; no time with the family when you're stuck on the 5 / 405 commuting to work to live in OC.

OC would be a non-starter for a Burbank gig - sure, people do it - and they spend a few hours per day on the fwy.

I'd do Santa Clarita before I'd do OC with a Burbank gig -- and I'm partial to OC.

Old 09-01-2008, 11:54 PM

1,288 posts, read 4,579,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moon Waffle View Post
I am wondering if there is anywhere within a reasonable distance that I could afford to put my family in a nice, safe, middle-class community. You know, the type with rows of new homes, kids playing in the streets, and lots of SUV's/minivans. Please, I am NOT looking for anything high-end, rather, the "typical" middle class suburban neighborhood where people are going to be friendly to their neighbors.
I agree with the comments about Burbank possibly suiting your needs. However, since you mentioned newer neighborhoods with a solid middle class suburban atmosphere, in addition to Santa Clarita, I would also suggest Simi Valley and Moorpark. Both are very nice, safe communities with very good public schools. I don't know what your budget or income level is but other nice areas to consider that have a newer feel, but are more expensive include Porter Ranch, West Hills, Calabasas, Agoura Hills, and Thousand Oaks.

Old 09-02-2008, 03:32 PM

110 posts, read 272,696 times
Working in Burbank with a family of 2 kids. My first factor would be the school district, especially in Los Angeles. Porter Ranch is nice, safe, gated, HOA but only the elementary school is good then you will need relocate unless your kids get into the LAUSD magnet program. Next choices with excellent schools near Burbank would be the west valley...bell canyon, agoura and calabasas then up north to Glendale, La Canada and La Crescenta.

Old 09-03-2008, 07:31 PM

7 posts, read 21,424 times
Either Burbank or Valencia. I've lived in both cities and they are both excellent for raising a family and have good schools. Valencia sounds a little bit more of what you are looking for, but Burbank is great too. Good luck

Old 09-08-2008, 12:52 PM

1 posts, read 1,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moon Waffle View Post
So I am considering a job with Disney. I am a corporate finance guy, and this has always been a company I really wanted to work for. The job would be in Burbank, I believe.
Moon Waffle et al,

I am also considering a Disney Corp HQ job in Burbank

I have 3 kids - 2 coming up on HS and 1 in elementary. Currently live in a nice large 4BR with a big yard, suburban utopia etc. I myself have been searching for a suitable, affordable, safe area with good schools within easy reach of Disney Studios.

Although I don't know the LA area well, I was able to scope it out during my job interview in Burbank last month. I specifically drove up to Santa Clarita to get the lay of the land up there - it's nice but as others have said the commute is a major turnoff. I have also started investigating Simi Valley (East End); the commute seems a little better from what I have read by others. Burbank would work but I need a little elbow room and don't want to spend more that $650K, so that might not be so doable. There are some promising Burbank properties on Craigslist every once in a while.

If I do settle in Valencia or Simi I will most likely take the train; that seems like a no-brainer.

So for me, Simi Valley is #1 because housing is better than Burbank and commute is slightly better that Valencia/Santa Clarita. Schools seem to be about the same among the three areas.

Good luck with your search! Maybe I will meet you during in-processing

If anyone else has more to add, I am all ears.

Old 09-08-2008, 01:35 PM

419 posts, read 1,262,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilkman View Post
If anyone else has more to add, I am all ears.
Hmm... all ears at Disney... Was that an intentional pun?

Sure, $650k doesn't get you much in Burbank, but why buy now? We just signed paperwork on a lease after our purchase fell through (funding issue / lender went out of business and soured us on buying at all). The price of the home, even at our negotiated discount "under market" was about 30% more expensive than renting a comparable home (updated 3/2 in Magnolia Park, walkable to Roosevelt and Mag Park shopping).

It is so much cheaper to rent right now, which underscores how much further pricing has to fall. I talk to a number of realtors in Burbank, many of whom are hurting as buyer supply has shrunk considerably with funding drying up.

Plus, you will have a chance to see what you really like in terms of areas.

Also, let me underscore the importance of thinking beyond this gig. Simi/SCV are just plain inconvenient to commute to major job centers. Burbank gives you the schools, the shorter commute time (which translates into time with your family & on the job & cheaper transport costs), plus the ability to have lunch with your loved ones.

Give it some thought...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or