U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 11:49 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,292,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by King0fthehill View Post
On a different note, why does it seem like LA lacks the simultaneous gentrification/revitalization of numerous neighborhoods that are going on in other cities? (namely: NYC)
Have you seen this article? These 2 Cities Are Now Exclusively For Rich People You don't want LA to become NYC or SF. Trust me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2014, 04:30 AM

174 posts, read 236,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King0fthehill View Post
On a different note, why does it seem like LA lacks the simultaneous gentrification/revitalization of numerous neighborhoods that are going on in other cities? (namely: NYC)
Because LA is too big.

Old 01-03-2014, 11:38 AM

1,971 posts, read 2,382,939 times
LA did have simultaneous gentrification of numerous neighborhoods. Venice, Silver Lake and Los Feliz all gentrified into their current states during the same time period. The current Echo Park / DTLA gentrification started picking up towards the tail end of this.

Old 01-03-2014, 11:44 AM

10,087 posts, read 12,563,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taydigga View Post
Have you seen this article? These 2 Cities Are Now Exclusively For Rich People You don't want LA to become NYC or SF. Trust me.
Well to be fair that is just Manhattan. I think Los Angeles is too vast to ever exclusively become a playground for the rich, sort of like how much of the rest of NYC (while expensive) has plenty of middle class residents.

However reading certain web sites that cater towards the development news of DTLA, you can tell there are quite a few people who want DTLA and environs to be a Manhattan/SF-esque rich person playground.

And Los Angeles definitely has simultaneous gentrification (neighborhoods in different stages of gentrification) - look at the Arts District, Echo Park, Highland Park, Atwater Village on the same trajectory, Koreatown and Hollywood on the same trajectory, Mid-City and East Hollywood on similar trajectories.

Old 01-04-2014, 11:23 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,292,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Well to be fair that is just Manhattan. I think Los Angeles is too vast to ever exclusively become a playground for the rich, sort of like how much of the rest of NYC (while expensive) has plenty of middle class residents.

However reading certain web sites that cater towards the development news of DTLA, you can tell there are quite a few people who want DTLA and environs to be a Manhattan/SF-esque rich person playground.

And Los Angeles definitely has simultaneous gentrification (neighborhoods in different stages of gentrification) - look at the Arts District, Echo Park, Highland Park, Atwater Village on the same trajectory, Koreatown and Hollywood on the same trajectory, Mid-City and East Hollywood on similar trajectories.
Agreed.

Old 01-05-2014, 03:28 PM

194 posts, read 376,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post

Agreed

Also about DTLA I am not a fan of those who feel it needs to be a Manhattan/SF type place. I really like the way its been evolving and I hope it improves while retaining some of its unique character. I also personally want it to become one of many great neighborhoods in this city rather than the sole urban core at the expense of everywhere else that some websites seem to want (such as Brigham Yen though I really enjoy reading his site)

In addition to its vastness LA's multinodal nature would also somewhat prevent a Manhattan/SF-esque extreme gentrification IMO. Part of why those 2 became what they are now is that they are a dominant center, while even with DTLA development LA seems to be moving even farther from that with future Hollywood, Warner Center, and Century City development

Gentrification IMO is always a tough topic because while I view it overall as a huge net positive, it is tough to ignore some of the downsides

Old 01-06-2014, 01:02 PM

547 posts, read 629,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaemophilusAphrophilus View Post
Agreed

Also about DTLA I am not a fan of those who feel it needs to be a Manhattan/SF type place. I really like the way its been evolving and I hope it improves while retaining some of its unique character. I also personally want it to become one of many great neighborhoods in this city rather than the sole urban core at the expense of everywhere else that some websites seem to want (such as Brigham Yen though I really enjoy reading his site)

In addition to its vastness LA's multinodal nature would also somewhat prevent a Manhattan/SF-esque extreme gentrification IMO. Part of why those 2 became what they are now is that they are a dominant center, while even with DTLA development LA seems to be moving even farther from that with future Hollywood, Warner Center, and Century City development

Gentrification IMO is always a tough topic because while I view it overall as a huge net positive, it is tough to ignore some of the downsides
I never got that impression from reading Brigham Yen's website? I get that he wants to see continued improvement of DTLA but not the extreme you are suggesting. What did I miss that you have seen him write....??

Old 01-07-2014, 12:39 PM

10,087 posts, read 12,563,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectMersh View Post
I never got that impression from reading Brigham Yen's website? I get that he wants to see continued improvement of DTLA but not the extreme you are suggesting. What did I miss that you have seen him write....??
I've seen him kind of bash outlying parts of Los Angeles as not being urban, and I have seen comments on his articles about people decrying development outside of DTLA (or businesses choosing to locate in Melrose, BH, SM, Hollywood etc.) but don't think it's as bad on his site as other development sites/message boards where there is almost an outright vehemence towards anything outside of DTLA.

But DTLA Rising is a great site. So is Building Los Angeles.

Old 01-07-2014, 01:57 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,676,525 times
How about Historic South Central? Does anyone believe that it will gentrify due to it's proximity to DTLA? Will it be the next Boyle Heights?

Old 01-07-2014, 05:40 PM

367 posts, read 502,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yby1 View Post
How about Historic South Central? Does anyone believe that it will gentrify due to it's proximity to DTLA? Will it be the next Boyle Heights?
Hahaha. Funny to think that Boyle Heights is already 'over'.

And yeah that will probably happen. I know a couple dudes fed up with the Arts District who already moved into some industrial space down there and are putting on diy shows and sleeping on a couch. You know, typical hipster shlt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles