U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2008, 10:59 AM

30 posts, read 79,898 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to LA at the very end of April/early May 2009 from WI. I have a few questions about my job search:

1. What are some good sites you have used to search for local jobs? I have tried LAtimes.com but it goes straight to careerbuilder. There have to be other sites besides that and monster.com, craigslist, yahoo, etc. Can anyone point me toward some others?? I am looking for something in marketing/communications, or entry level PR/music industry (assistant of some sort)

2. When should I start sending out resumes? I would prefer to have a job lined up before I move, obviously. Ideally, I would like to have an apt. chosen/rented to begin about May 1. I would want to start a job by the second week in May.

Should I plan to send out resumes in Feb? March?

Is it true that I may not get offers for interviews at some places because I don't live in the area yet?

Thank you very much for any advice you can offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2008, 11:56 AM

474 posts, read 1,067,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by salsa311 View Post
I will be moving to LA at the very end of April/early May 2009 from WI. I have a few questions about my job search:

1. What are some good sites you have used to search for local jobs? I have tried LAtimes.com but it goes straight to careerbuilder. There have to be other sites besides that and monster.com, craigslist, yahoo, etc. Can anyone point me toward some others?? I am looking for something in marketing/communications, or entry level PR/music industry (assistant of some sort)

2. When should I start sending out resumes? I would prefer to have a job lined up before I move, obviously. Ideally, I would like to have an apt. chosen/rented to begin about May 1. I would want to start a job by the second week in May.

Should I plan to send out resumes in Feb? March?

Is it true that I may not get offers for interviews at some places because I don't live in the area yet?

Thank you very much for any advice you can offer.
Do you know anyone out here personally in those industries? That would probably be your biggest help.

Old 09-01-2008, 02:33 PM

1,204 posts, read 3,909,331 times
I hate to be stern, but you really need to know people. That is likely the only way to break into these industries out here. It is a close knit business, and most people keep working with people they know. That said...

Send out resumes as soon as possible. The only downside is, most companies will disregard your resume bc you aren't here locally. There is plenty of competition already here, so no need for them to deal with people out of state. You best best is to get here, and start walking resumes to different businesses.

Old 09-01-2008, 05:35 PM

i do know a few people but haven't talked with them too much yet in detail about helping me get in somewhere. maybe i'll just take what i can get before moving, and can always look elsewhere when i get there.

either way, know of any good job search sites?

Old 09-01-2008, 05:59 PM

2,072 posts, read 10,868,678 times
There are several other sites, but I can't think of at the top of my head. Do a google for "employment job/web sites" - that may be a start.

Good luck.

Old 09-01-2008, 06:11 PM

186 posts, read 572,745 times
I think you'd be best off targeting specific companies and sending your resume to an executive at that company. There aren't that many PR agencies and music companies.

Old 09-01-2008, 09:38 PM

419 posts, read 1,261,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by salsa311 View Post
i do know a few people but haven't talked with them too much yet in detail about helping me get in somewhere. maybe i'll just take what i can get before moving, and can always look elsewhere when i get there.

either way, know of any good job search sites?
Yes - use indeed.com or simplyhired.com. They aggregate all the job search engines into one.

But to echo the point made earlier - as a hiring manager, I can share that resumes submitted over the internet are as good as discarded. The hot jobs get STACKS (literally) over the internet, and I'd rather have a referral than a blind email.

Old 09-02-2008, 08:52 AM

Thank you!

Is it common in LA for people to walk in to a company to submit a resume? Is applying online not all that effective out there? It's pretty much the norm here (applying online/via email)

Old 09-02-2008, 11:18 AM

305 posts, read 1,518,721 times
Monster Trak (http://www.monstertrak.com/) is good for entry level jobs. And in every cover letter you send, include the fact that you're relocating, and when you plan to be in LA; it would be good to have flexible move dates and be willing to move earlier if a job opens up (unless you're a student graduating in spring?)

Seriously, start sending out resumes now or within the next few months. If you're not getting a job through networking/knowing someone, it could take months and months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or