U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 06:15 PM

51 posts, read 266,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
No. That would be UCLA.

Remember that all U.C. schools are easier to get into than the USCs and Stanfords of the world. The "stereotypes" of each school really is about the same with maybe UCLA having more of a "party" atmosphere. Being born and raised in Los Angeles it gave me many years to decide on which school I would want to go to and by the time I was in 11th grade my heart was set on USC. The only problem was that I got into Stanford and ended up going there instead.

Wikipedia:
UCLA is rated "Most Selective", by the Princeton Review, with an admissions selectivity rating of 98 (on a scale of 6099).[66] UCLA received 55,397 applications for the Fall 2008 freshman class, retaining its position as the university with the most freshmen applicants, a title it has held since 1998.[16] For the 2008-09 year, 12,579 applicants were admitted, 22.7% of the total.[65] According to the US News & World Report, UCLA is the second most selective public university in the United States (UC Berkeley is the first).

-Proud Bruin, Class '08
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2008, 06:28 PM

1,712 posts, read 5,339,416 times
Do you happen to have USC's admissions selectivity numbers?

Old 09-04-2008, 06:48 PM

51 posts, read 266,282 times
Wikipedia:

USC Admissions: 33,760 students applied for admission to the undergraduate class of 2011, with 8,553 being admitted (25%) and 2,963 enrolling (35% yield). The middle 50% SAT composite score for admitted students was 1950 - 2200 and the average GPA was 3.8.[66] 21 percent of admitted and attending students are SCions, or students with familial ties to USC, while 11 percent are the first generation in their family to attend any form of college. There were also 220 National Merit Scholar winners and 5 National Achievement Scholars in the admitted class. USC ranks among the top five schools in the nation in terms of its enrollment of National Merit Scholars.[67]

Old 09-04-2008, 06:51 PM

1,712 posts, read 5,339,416 times
Well, I certainly see why the two schools are competitive with each other. Two very nice schools indeed.

As parent of a teenager, and new to the area, I'm learning as fast as I can. Thanks for the numbers!

Old 09-04-2008, 07:55 PM

7,731 posts, read 11,942,361 times
UCLA is in a safer neighborhood than USC.

Old 09-05-2008, 12:05 AM

52 posts, read 184,908 times
I am a grad student at USC. I cannot speak for the quality of undergraduate education at either school, but on student quality, I will say both are selective and thus attract their fair share of bright students.

I think UCLA certainly has more prestige which I will attribute to its stellar graduate programs. Don't get me wrong, both are highly respected research universities as evidenced by membership in the AAU (google it). Both have world class professional schools and USC is probably stronger in niche disciplines such as film, BUT in the the arts and sciences UCLA is by far broader and better. However, graduate programs particularly at the PhD level are all about research, so whether or not strength of grad programs translate into better undergrad education is questionable. My personal opinion is that for the average college student, the two schools are more or less perfect substitutes.

As for location, do we seriously need a point by point comparison of Westwood to University Park/West Adams/Exposition Park/South Central adjacent/Downtown adjacent? That said, I actually like USC's location. Although it is no ghetto, it has a more authentic urban LA feel to it. I've never lived in an inner city so being at USC affords me a glimpse of urban blight, albeit from a privileged vantage point. On a more practical note, robberies and muggings do happen, but use common sense and always be aware of your surroundings and you should be fine.

Old 09-10-2008, 08:35 PM

4,751 posts, read 12,040,957 times
I went to UCLA and it was a fabulous experience. Awesome location, beautiful school, excellent education, and good preparation for my career.

I had friends who went to USC and it scared me to visit them because the area surrounding the campus is so rough.

But I agree with the advice that it really does matter what you plan to choose as a major and what your career aspirations are. The best school for you is the one that fits with your goals.

Old 10-23-2008, 10:39 PM

1 posts, read 16,067 times
Default USC vs. UCLA

I went to USC for undergrad and am currently going to UCLA for a master's degree. Here's my experience of each school separately.

UCLA: stuck up people who use big words
good professors - also very stuck up (some are nice, though)
many clueless, fashionless freshman who wander around campus as if they are lost
ugly libraries (Powell is decent but extremely crowded)...good luck finding a place to sit and study in peace
bad service at most of the facilities: crowded eating places with overworked, pimply cashiers
students who generally look sad, dazed and confused
lack of cute guys and girls (in my time here this quarter, I've only seen two cute guys)
very few people here have a good sense of humor...I'm sure they must exist, but the question is where? where, oh where?
there are some geniuses here. there are also some ppl pretending to be geniuses...as well as some complete morons who wear dirty clothes and have no personalities.
student functions are dull and unexciting...cheese and crackers...boring small talk...unexcited people...that's about it
oh, but UCLA has a reputation for having stringent academic demands...and yes, the demands are sort of stringent...I guess a good reputation counts for something
my particular grad program is one of the best in the world...I chose it over USC's program...even though I was accepted into both...however, the experience of being on UCLA campus is so boring, I wonder why I ever chose UCLA...
At UCLA, you get pushed around like you are cattle...it's so freakin crowded here...I don't know how anyone could ever feel special or well-treated
I'm lucky I have a phenomenal math professor...she's the BOMB

A student was tasered in the library when he didn't produce his BruinCard (ID)...by the way the BruinCard at UCLA is a way to show your allegiance to the anti-Christ...you can't buy or sell or survive or even pee without it...good luck trying, too...I went to campus at 4 Am in the morning last week (in order to escape my roommate's loud music and finish my all-nighter)...well, needless to say, I was not allowed in Powell Library because I had forgot my BruinCard in the car (which was parked up at the top of a very steep hill)...I tried to pee inside a white event tent, but as soon as my pant were half way down, a UCLA police officer popped out of the darkness and asked if I was trying to steal something inside the event tent! I said, "Hey, I'm just trying to pee. What's open tonight? Where do the guards go to pee." Well, he said, "We don't pee." Go to Powell library.
Well, after about 5 minutes of pleading with the Powell Library guards, I was allowed to pee in their bathroom...but they made me feel like piece of ****.

USC: in a bad neighborhood
students and student workers are very nice and efficient
interesting professors (though I did have a couple of bad ones)
more school spirit than UCLA has...no..let me rewrite this...USC actually HAS a school spirit
more attractive guys and girls
there are some rapist fraternity boys on the row...be careful
people are generally very motivated here...ppl balance fun with education...humor with intellect
of course, some ppl are total morons
ppl generally are richer here...though there are some poor ppl, too...it's just that most of the poor people tend to take care of their appearances (unlike the ppl at UCLA)
USC treats the individual like the unique person he or she is
if you belong to a USC club or association, there are lots of goodies: professor dinners, cocktail parties, fancy functions, cardinal and gold, embossed invitations, classy presentation
USC does not have as wide a reputation as UCLA for having stringent academic demands....yet, from my experience, the academic standards at USC were just as high or higher than the ones I've experienced in my universally top rated grad program here at UCLA
I was mugged in front of my apartment after I graduated from USC...incurred lots of hospital bills that I'm trying to get the city to pay off. Don't walk alone after dark, even on busy streets.
For every gang member, there is a sweet, kind neighbor...most likely very ethnic compared to a white person...don't judge color...don't judge class...don't judge culture
I'm still happier hanging out around USC than in UCLA's Brentwood...ppl seem so phony and mean in Brentwood...I like going to the 29th Street Cafe, Pasta Roma, the Ragazzi Room, and the Starbucks near there...there's not many places to shop, but the people are real.
Only at USC does one see so many popped collars and Uggs. It's kinda nice to see after all the gross holey t-shirts I've been subjected to at UCLA...and hey I'm a struggling student and have chosen work my way through school without my family's financial help...but you don't see me with gross clothes...I'd rather charge the Uggs, pretend for awhile, keep my dignity...and return to USC a millionaire someday (for alumni weekend) than look gross and ugly like UCLA students.
USC would never treat a person like he or she was a criminal if that person wanted to pee.

Old 10-24-2008, 12:19 AM

4,313 posts, read 5,265,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhome View Post
UCLA is in a MUCH nicer neighborhood. UCLA is located in the Westwood neighborhood of Los Angeles, adjacent to the Westwood Village shops and cafes, the expensive community of Bel-Air, and just a bus ride away from the fun at Santa Monica. UCLA is just a much more desireable school location wise. USC is a beautiful campus in a really run down and sort of violent neighborhood. People (not necessarily students, just people) get shot around USC, while not so much, if ever, around UCLA.
That's really not fair, though. USC has some of the best public safety statistics in the nation. I got rejected from USC once, I'm pretty anti-USC, but I have two friends who go there now (grad school) and when I was looking into it years ago, the USC campus is extremely safe and they work actively to make it safe within a 2-3 block radius of the campus. The area has improved a lot and it has a good reputation in the community. Like with the riots back in the day, USC's campus was one of the few things that wasn't touched. They have done their best to become part of the community of the area.

I agree it's a bad area, UCLA is in a way better area, but to act like you're going to get shot for going to USC is kind of silly.

Also it's not true at all that UCLA has a better reputation than USC, haha, no idea where anyone would get those ideas. USC has billions of dollars in endowment and the best film school in the entire world. UCLA's film school, by comparison, survives on reputation alone, a reputation that isn't deserved anymore. It's not even competitive with up-and-comers like Chapman University, for instance. UCLA's film program is run down, bad facilities, and not as many good professors as, you know, BEFORE Chapman stole all of their talent So if you're getting into film, USC is ten times better.

Old 10-24-2008, 12:24 AM

5,607 posts, read 20,181,666 times
UCLA is a nicer looking campus than USC and the neighborhood is a step up, but I honestly don't think the UCLA area is that great either. UCLA's location simply isn't the paradise some people make it out to be. In fact I wouldn't even really call UCLA's surroundings a "neighborhood." Bel Air to the north is great, but the areas to the immediate west, south, and east of the UCLA campus kind of suck, imo. Westwood Village is probably one of the most overrated areas in LA; there's not really a whole lot to do right there, and it's a really long walk from there to where the heart of the campus is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles