Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 12:39 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times

Advertisements

Personally I am a USC fan but that is because of Pete Carroll and Trojan Team. Please give me and others a little slack on this though, its the closest thing to a pro team that we have in the LA area and they are loved by many.

I love the party scene around UCLA, although my wife has told me that part of my life is over now. We do go to the clubs when we are in the area.

Pepperdine is my choice for a school if you can swing it. I grew up on the coast though and drove past that school for years before stopping in. Great views of the Malibu coast. Just an amazing place to put a school. Amazing law and business program as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2008, 12:40 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,629,910 times
HAHA, that part of your life is over. Ouch. I guess she has your balls in a vice grip

Old 10-24-2008, 12:57 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
S..ks for me. But then she knows what goes on at the clubs. Not too bad though because i don't mind bringing her. She is a hot little lady.

Old 10-24-2008, 01:02 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,629,910 times
Well that's good at least

Old 09-30-2010, 12:11 AM

1 posts, read 3,585 times
Does anyone have a Ph.d from either USC or UCLA? If so, how was your experience? What school is better to do research and in regards to both financial and academic support?

Old 09-30-2010, 05:23 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon120 View Post
I'm going to either UCLA or USC, and I'm not sure which one I'll decide on. I've researched about tuition and all the technical things... however, one thing that I don't know is the stereotype of each school, and that might be a factor in helping me decide which school to go to. So I'm wondering what stereotypes exist for UCLA, and what stereotypes exist for USC?

As well, what stereotypes exist for students in each school? Are girls in UCLA more attractive, are USC students more committed to academics, etc. One of the main points I'm concerned about is, which of the schools has friendly, more welcoming students (according to stereotype, or by experience)?

You could also base this on Bruins and Trojans fans. I do plan to attend that games (mainly football), and I really don't care how good the team is. But I don't want to get caught up in an Oakland Raider-like fanbase. So between the Bruins and Trojans fanbase, which one is generally seen as friendlier and more sportsmanlike (think Packers fans)?

I'm hoping to go to a school that has friendly, welcoming students who are tolerant of diversity (I've heard before that USC is somewhat racist?), and while party people aren't too bad... I'd prefer a more academic environment (not that big a factor, it's not like this is UCSD). Obviously, more attractive students is a plus (very sorry if that sounds superficial), but heck, this is Los Angeles... stereotypically though, which one has "more" attractive students?

Ha ha, I sound like a pig... I'm sorry, I don't mean it to sound that way, but I do want to know all facets of the universities before I commit myself to one, and these things you can't find in university magazines or websites. Thank you to anyone who responds!
more important than the students should be what you plan to major in and how your grades and test scores measure up.

Both schools have very active national sports programs so that part would fit for you. Both schools nearly always have outstanding football teams with very loyal fans.

USC is much more expensive but if you are coming from out of state and prepared to pay out of state tuition, this might not be the case as Out of state tuition for UCLA will be very expensive. Who is going to pick up the tab for you?

As for diverse, both schools are very diverse. USC is private with many kids from money attending but there are also thousands on full scholarships. You will see kids from all over the world at either school.

Though both schools are considered very good academically, getting accepted into UCLA is not easy. Depending on what you major in, you may want to consentrate on one over the other. Both have great med programs, UCLA has a better reputation overall, but USC has one of the top rated sociology programs in the country and a very good post grad business school.

UCLA is a little more of a college atmosphere city (or section of L.A.) USC is just south of the downtown area.

Hope this helps, I am sure many will have other comments for you.

Nita

Old 09-30-2010, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark85 View Post
Okay, you asked for generalizations...

UCLA:
World class reputation
Beautiful, modern campus
Great location (near beaches, Westwood, westside)
Better climate
Liberal/democratic, mostly
Cheaper than USC (tuition-wise)
Diverse (people from all nationalities and income classes)
Smarter student body (which also means more competition)
Better sports teams, overall. The fans are cooler (SC fans can be overly fanatical)
Can be hard to get accepted
Great looking girls (they mostly hang out on North campus)

USC:
Lousy location, surrounded by crime ridden neighborhood
Old campus
Expensive
Not too widely recognized outside of CA
More people with snobby attutudes (trust fund kids, etc.)
Conservative/republican, mainly
Nicer looking cheerleaders, but the female student body at UCLA is better
More tightly knit business network in So Cal
Easy to get into (as long as you can afford it)

IMHO, the only reason to choose USC over UCLA is if you want an undergrad business degree (UCLA doesn't offer one, though you can go with economics and take many business courses through the grad business school), if you want to go to film school, if you have a relative working at USC and can get free tuition, or if you got rejected by UCLA. No, I'm not biased

Seriously though, either school would be great. Depends what you want to do and major in. Being a liberal arts school, lots of UCLA undergrads end up going to grad school.
I don't think a post like that is really going to help Jon, he wants honest opinions but slanted ones.
Nita

Old 09-30-2010, 05:34 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I don't think a post like that is really going to help Jon, he wants honest opinions but slanted ones.
Nita
I doubt anything will be of help as I'm sure by now he's made his decision and moved on.

Old 09-30-2010, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I doubt anything will be of help as I'm sure by now he's made his decision and moved on.
Cava, I just realized this, when I read someone making the comment about Pete CArroll. Even when Vegaspilgrim was making comments it went over my head. She has been out of school for a year or so now. I looked at the date, usually I do look very closely. Anyway, I just laughed to myself as I joined the group of clueless on when to and not to respond...to top it off, he never responded again.

NIta

Old 09-30-2010, 07:43 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times
Another drive-by one post wonder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles