Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 09:16 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,885,496 times

Advertisements

UCLA:
One of the best and well-known universities in the world.
Located in one of the wealthiest, exciting, and nicest place in the country.
Cheaper than private Ivy League schools.

USC:
Great school academically but not as highly regarded or well-known as UCLA outside of SoCal.
Horrendous location.
Expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 04:14 AM

367 posts, read 672,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
UCLA:
One of the best and well-known universities in the world.
Located in one of the wealthiest, exciting, and nicest place in the country.
Cheaper than private Ivy League schools.

USC:
Great school academically but not as highly regarded or well-known as UCLA outside of SoCal.
Horrendous location.
Expensive.
westwood is notoriously boring

Westwood Sucks, So These UCLA Bands Made Their Own Scene - Los Angeles - Music - West Coast Sound

Old 07-30-2013, 08:16 AM

377 posts, read 529,559 times
the UCLA stereotype is that the entire student body are all asians, I'm not so sure it's just a stereotype though

Old 07-30-2013, 09:15 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,010,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hjt123 View Post
I second this. Even on a weekend it's pretty tame. I would see more people at the cinema watching some midnight showing of Star Wars or Rocky Horror, or the Cookie place than I would at the bars. I went there one Saturday and found a lot of annoyingly quirky students. The only interesting person was the foreign exchange student from Belarus who was pissed off because he came all the way from Eastern Europe to go to grad school in America and thought UCLA and West LA was going to be a rave of a good time. He was more than dissapointed, LOL.

It's not just that Westwood is boring but that the entire westside isn't the most vibrant area. It's fun but in a very tamed, chilled sort of way.

Old 07-30-2013, 12:29 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,885,496 times
^Many people like how "tamed" it is. I prefer that than ghetto people or rowdy morons.

Old 07-30-2013, 01:23 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,306,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
I second this. Even on a weekend it's pretty tame. I would see more people at the cinema watching some midnight showing of Star Wars or Rocky Horror, or the Cookie place than I would at the bars. I went there one Saturday and found a lot of annoyingly quirky students. The only interesting person was the foreign exchange student from Belarus who was pissed off because he came all the way from Eastern Europe to go to grad school in America and thought UCLA and West LA was going to be a rave of a good time. He was more than dissapointed, LOL.

It's not just that Westwood is boring but that the entire westside isn't the most vibrant area. It's fun but in a very tamed, chilled sort of way.
I spent 6 years at UCLA. I remember as an undergrad the student body was pretty tame. Probably 70-75% of students would spend their weekend nights doing one of the following: Studying, watching a movie, playing a sport, going out to eat. Westwood Village doesn't allow for much to happen. The exception was the Greek system who would spend their weekends (and often weekdays) at parties and bars.

I don't really care about the UCLA/USC rivalry, and even though I went to UCLA I don't think I"m biased in saying UCLA is a far better school and experience:

-It's much cheaper
-Class sizes/program offerings are pretty similar. You'll pay 45k a year at USC to get the same 300 person intro bio class.
-The Alumni network is just as strong as USC, the only difference is USC makes it easier to connect.
-The dorms are a lot nicer at UCLA, as is the surrounding area and neighborhood is safer
-The dining options on the UCLA campus are far superior
-Weather is better
-UCLA has a much prettier campus, which is subjective, but USC is too urban and sticky, UCLA is spread out and filled with nature

There's a lot more to list, just a few things from what I can remember.

Old 07-30-2013, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
^Many people like how "tamed" it is. I prefer that than ghetto people or rowdy morons.
It's ghetto to have a good time?

Old 07-30-2013, 08:51 PM

193 posts, read 465,408 times
Quote:

I would also agree but the areas around are more exciting, but my experience in undergrad is that people just like to be in Westwood-- and Westwood is a pretty good place too, especially to live in. USC has the advantage of the expo line and relative proximity to nightlife in DTLA, hollywood, etc but IDK how it plays into the general fabric of the student population since ive never truly been to USC. In terms of undergrad and some graduate academics theyre almost equal nowadays since USC has really been improving (but Id still say UCLA dominates more science/med, but USC isnt bad at all for either)

Old 07-31-2013, 07:32 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,724,552 times
Quote:
It's ghetto to have a good time?
if by a good time you means that sort of juvenile things hinged on alcohol/getting drunk, then yes, it is ghetto-ish.

I have absolutely no idea why so many Americans think alcohol is just an indispensible part of "having fun".

Old 07-31-2013, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
if by a good time you means that sort of juvenile things hinged on alcohol/getting drunk, then yes, it is ghetto-ish.

I have absolutely no idea why so many Americans think alcohol is just an indispensible part of "having fun".
Oh man, this is the A-type stuff I am talking about. If you live on the Westside then you've proven my point. But anyways, having fun with alcohol and letting loose is not "ghetto". I don't know why you would even think that. Being super destructive and rowdy enough to injure people, yes that is bad, but to call it "ghetto"? Ghetto denotes that it's a trait most associated with poverty meaning you think people resorting to that behavior are largely poor and resort to that because they're poor.

It also means the Westside is a better place because it lacks that "ghetto" behavior meaning it lacks poorer people.

Yeah, please don't make the Westside look any snobbier. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles