U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 01:33 PM

367 posts, read 503,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
if by a good time you means that sort of juvenile things hinged on alcohol/getting drunk, then yes, it is ghetto-ish.

I have absolutely no idea why so many Americans think alcohol is just an indispensible part of "having fun".
you sound like a blast to hang out with, dude
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 03:06 PM

2 posts, read 3,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yes Guy View Post
In response to the last poster (who inexplicably bumped the thread), USC actually has more international students than any other school in the country, and not just by percentage.

USC enrolls the most international students in the nation - Los Angeles Times
I just did a quick check and I wasn't aware that USC is tied with UCLA in the latest US News and World Report ranking at # 24 for national universities. UCLA acceptance rate 25.5%, USC 23.0%. I guess that could explain the increase in international students at USC as they increase in the rankings. It did note USC's tuition at $44k, ouch. That's more expensive than Stanford which was listed at $41k. Film over at that fancy film school of theirs must be pretty expensive these days

Old 08-09-2013, 12:45 PM

2 posts, read 3,456 times
Depends on what you are going for. My stepdad is an alum from Annenberg, and I nearly transferred there a few years ago as a legacy. Also looked into UCLA. Even though I'm not a guy would say that the girls at USC are hotter if you like white girls. UCLA if you are into asian girls. Both schools have alot of diversity. USC has half white people half everyone else. UCLA has half asian people half everyone else. I've been to alot of games in my time...and that's just what I noticed when I visited each campus. As a private university USC also has the higher price tag...last time I checked it was 32,000+ a semester and that was a few years ago. UCLA has a better fine arts program, better tech programs, and is top ranking for research. USC has a top notch business program, communications, and journalism program...and would provide killer networking opportunities for the future. USC is in DTLA has a really lively campus community as well--a huge party scene. UCLA is more academic, but its also adjacent (Westwood) to beverly hills and Santa Monica...and in my opinion has waaaay better energy.
I would say if you are going for the scene....go to USC.
If you are going for the academics, and are looking for less distraction (any college campus has enough of those anyway), go for UCLA. (Except USC might be better for business and film. )
The only way to tell if a campus is the right is to go for a visit.

Old 08-09-2013, 01:42 PM

3 posts, read 2,909 times
Based from reading all this posts, I can tell their college failed them. I don't recommend anyone from going to this school, or you may end up like this posters here. Oh my, I just posted...

Old 08-09-2013, 02:03 PM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 9,855,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey_Doo_Doo View Post
Based from reading all this posts, I can tell their college failed them. I don't recommend anyone from going to this school, or you may end up like this posters here. Oh my, I just posted...
Done trolling?

Old 08-10-2013, 06:11 PM

194 posts, read 377,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
I second this. Even on a weekend it's pretty tame. I would see more people at the cinema watching some midnight showing of Star Wars or Rocky Horror, or the Cookie place than I would at the bars. I went there one Saturday and found a lot of annoyingly quirky students. The only interesting person was the foreign exchange student from Belarus who was pissed off because he came all the way from Eastern Europe to go to grad school in America and thought UCLA and West LA was going to be a rave of a good time. He was more than dissapointed, LOL.

It's not just that Westwood is boring but that the entire westside isn't the most vibrant area. It's fun but in a very tamed, chilled sort of way.
Eh I still think westwood is just plain boring even if its convenient and a nice area for sure. The westside as a whole is more fun but tamed yes but westwood is pretty dull

the bars suck and the one that was remotely ok is closing (brewco, barneys is not terrible but not good especially knowing the maloneys, a ****hole IMO, is option number 3). However, more interesting food choices have popped up recently so I hope westwood will be more vibrant. in the end though its a great choice to live in but not so much for a place to "have fun" even if foreign exchange students that flood ucla in the summer tend to be disappointed for pretty stupid reasons. I agree that UCLA has too many of those quirky students in undergrad, and I havent met many people I truly hated but there was a good chunk that wasnt just for me but I respected and didnt think were bad people. Still an awesome place for undergrad but I dont want to make it sound like a paradise socially without speaking of its downsides

Old 08-10-2013, 06:31 PM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 9,855,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaemophilusAphrophilus View Post
Eh I still think westwood is just plain boring even if its convenient and a nice area for sure. The westside as a whole is more fun but tamed yes but westwood is pretty dull

the bars suck and the one that was remotely ok is closing (brewco, barneys is not terrible but not good especially knowing the maloneys, a ****hole IMO, is option number 3). However, more interesting food choices have popped up recently so I hope westwood will be more vibrant. in the end though its a great choice to live in but not so much for a place to "have fun" even if foreign exchange students that flood ucla in the summer tend to be disappointed for pretty stupid reasons. I agree that UCLA has too many of those quirky students in undergrad, and I havent met many people I truly hated but there was a good chunk that wasnt just for me but I respected and didnt think were bad people. Still an awesome place for undergrad but I dont want to make it sound like a paradise socially without speaking of its downsides
I live in Westwood. It's a great location for me, I also work here. And I'm not far from Santa Monica. But yeah, it's pretty boring if you don't go to UCLA. And even then, the bars are pretty tame. But I love it for how many shops and restaurants I have at my disposal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles