Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 11:04 PM

120 posts, read 479,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy8/14 View Post
USC is by far the better undergraduate program
Moderator cut: rude everyone who goes to SC is forced to go there unless its unique circumstances like acceptance to their film school, etc. other than that, SC is second choice to most applicants. and no, SC is not better academically to any UC school other than maybe UC riverside and Merced. be careful not to say things like this in public, otherwise people will laugh at you

Last edited by Count David; 11-15-2011 at 02:23 AM.. Reason: removed rude/unnecessary comment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2011, 11:07 PM

120 posts, read 479,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redturtle View Post
USC: you have the money, but not the brains to go to Stanford

UCLA: you have the brains, but not the money to go to Stanford

i couldn't get into UCLA, and was forced to go to USC for graduate school. Still bitter til this day. As soon as SC found out my company was paying for tuition, they accepted me faster than I can blink my eye.

Old 11-14-2011, 11:39 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,836,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick2006 View Post
i couldn't get into UCLA, and was forced to go to USC for graduate school. Still bitter til this day..
Did the band play the same song over and over again the whole time you were there? Does Tommy Trojan carry a real sword or a rubber one?

Old 03-09-2013, 06:19 PM

1 posts, read 2,283 times
USC is definitely much more known(especially for film)
The campus is gorgeous
More diverse
Definitely NOT easy to get into, at all
UCLA's campus just reminds me of a bunch of office buildings.
They both have a lot of school spirit though

Old 07-27-2013, 03:57 PM

2 posts, read 3,967 times
Both are great schools, otherwise there wouldn't be all this debate and people wouldn't take the time to stick up for either school on countless threads online. USC needs UCLA to be great and UCLA needs USC to be great. Otherwise all of this debate wouldn't matter.

I think the perception is that UCLA is slightly more prestigious because it has historically ranked higher in some magazines and the Chinese flock to it because it shows up on those rankings. I don't put much stock into those lists. Those rankings are just a guide for the Chinese to know which schools to target and flood with thousands of their international students.

I do believe USC does suffer a bit from its location. This has absolutely nothing to do with the school itself, but I can see where the surrounding area might turn a few students off to it, especially the fob Asians. I think they feel much more comfortable flaunting their LV bags and driving their BMW's around Westwood than downtown LA. My theory is that if you switched the campus locations and put USC in westwood and UCLA in downtown, the international students would be lining up to go to USC instead of UCLA and touting how great USC was instead of UCLA. Just think about it. It would be the expensive private university with the gorgeous campus in the middle of an affluent neighborhood. Every international students dream. To USC's defense, they didn't know back in 1880 when it was founded that the downtown area was going to turn out as "diverse" as it did.

I don't think there is any debate that the UCLA campus is in a much better area. That being said, I think most people would agree that the USC campus is much prettier than the UCLA campus. The UCLA campus architecture reminds me of an old 70's office park. USC has the more classic timeless architecture that will always look good.

As the saying goes, you're a bruin for 4 years, but a Trojan for life. I do believe that the school spirit is more profound at USC. Both are good, but USC seems to have a slight edge in that department. Of course that is debatable like all this is I have heard from UCLA students that you feel like a number there because the classes are limited and get so huge that it's not a very personal experience. It's not uncommon for classes to overflow out into the hallway as people struggle to get voice recorders into position for the lectures. For reasons like that, it does have the appearance of just a school where the Chinese can go get their degrees and get out. That could be a slight knock on school spirit. Besides, we all know how clicky the international Asians are and how they take the "team" approach to individual assignments.

As for the girls on campus, if you like Asian girls, UCLA is the choice. If you like rich blonde girls, USC is the choice. ha, that is such a huge subjective statement, but I'm just throwing this out there for debate. I'm Asian and like Asian girls, so UCLA holds the advantage on this one.

As far as choosing, that is a subjective choice. You can debate all day long on which school is better in this or that, but you have to visit each campus and speak with students and faculty and just do your research. Both are fine schools and I hope they both stay that way. I know USC is currently in the midst of one of the biggest fund raising initiatives in the history of academia in trying to raise 6 billion dollars. If I recall correctly they want to increase the award winning professors on staff, expand the campus, and increase scholarships with the funds.

btw, I'm a Cal bear, but grew up in southern California and extensively researched both schools. Up here the similar debate is Cal-Stanford. Not quite apples to apples, but a similar comparison between the great public university against the expensive private university.

Old 07-28-2013, 07:36 PM

8 posts, read 14,773 times
In response to the last poster (who inexplicably bumped the thread), USC actually has more international students than any other school in the country, and not just by percentage.

USC enrolls the most international students in the nation - Los Angeles Times

Old 07-28-2013, 07:43 PM

3 posts, read 7,398 times
UCLA
- a more recognized name
- better neighborhood

USC
- better networking
- stronger school spirit

Old 07-29-2013, 02:26 PM

7 posts, read 11,816 times
I have similar circumstance as nick2006. I applied to both USC and UCLA for my grad degree, and I was declined by UCLA. Understandably, I am a bit bitter towards UCLA, but not too much (my officemate has lower GRE score than me, and he was accepted by UCLA of the same major at the same year - how dare you UCLA!).

However, I have to disagree that USC is no better other than UCR and UC Merced. In fact, I had the choice between UCI (and UCR too, but UCR is a level lower) and USC, and I chose USC. USC has been improving its academic position for the last decade, and it's only going to get better. If you care about academic ranking, then a read on the ranking criteria will reveal the reason why UCLA is ranked higher - award winning professors. I personally don't believe world renowned faculties teach better (or they actually teach at all); however if you disagree, then take note - as another poster pointed out - USC is currently running a fund drive that tries to raise money to hire more and retain awarding winning professors.

There's used to have a rumor that says if you have money, USC will accept you. I don't think that's true anymore. While the acceptance rate is not as low as UCLA, it's low enough that you need to work hard to get in. Also, don't think you will have an easy ride once you are in, you will face tough competition in classes (low acceptance rate means they can cherry-pick the best, and other students are likely more driven). If you don't work hard, you will struggle in your classes. Well, at least that's true for engineering school.

As a whole, USC is very racially diverse. However, once you get into a school like engineering, expect to see 50%+ Indian, ~40% Asian (Chinese mostly), and 10% others. The campus itself is very safe, but its surround is not (you will get frequent email alerts detailing crimes around UPC).

Old 07-29-2013, 03:02 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,564,796 times
UCLA is far and away the best university in the country which is less than 100 years old (1919), and it's also been the most-applied to school in the nation period for something like 13 out of the past 15 years.

Both schools are solid in all of the major disciplines including law, business, medicine and all the rest, and the theater arts departments at both schools are alongside NYU's as the top three in the nation; Francis Ford Coppola (UCLA) and George Lucas (USC) are two standout directors.

Assessing stereotypes which might apply to either school is silly; a degree from either school is a superb accomplishment, and both schools have been in USN&WRs top 30 for many years, although UCLA had been in the top 25 far longer.

Nevertheless, both schools are academic powerhouses, and you really can't go wrong with either one given their unimpeachable national reputations.

Old 07-29-2013, 03:38 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,004,423 times
UCLA
Pros: far better name recognition and prestige
cheaper tuition (albeit not much much cheaper)
better campus and location
far better caliber of students

Cons:
Still too high of tuition for a state school
off campus housing too high
COL far higher in Westwood
Students are less outgoing, more A-types, competitive

USC
Pros:
For film, it's a no brainer
For business and public management/affairs a no brainer
Pretty campus
better at sports
way better parties and more outgoing people
networking/alumni base is probably one of the best in the nation

Cons:
Dangerous areas just a mile away
lacks international recognition
expensive tuition
finacial aid packages too small

As for stereotypes, at UCLA I picture a socialy awkward, overly quirky, A-type that would much rather catch the midnight showing at the Westwood cinema (that line is long!) than go party hard. The students think they're attending the Harvard of Southern California.

At USC, I picture more a jock-ish student body with plenty of more professionally minded people. I picture a huge work hard, play hard kind of school with ample parties on the weekends and more traditions.

Yet, in these tough economic times your better off skipping both schools and attending Cal Poly Pomona and major in something practical like computer science or engineering. I hear Cal Poly grads from both SLO and Pomona are more sought after because they have a more practical, less theoretical program.

Last edited by radiolibre99; 07-29-2013 at 03:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles