U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 11:22 AM

1 posts, read 31,474 times

Advertisements

I'm going to either UCLA or USC, and I'm not sure which one I'll decide on. I've researched about tuition and all the technical things... however, one thing that I don't know is the stereotype of each school, and that might be a factor in helping me decide which school to go to. So I'm wondering what stereotypes exist for UCLA, and what stereotypes exist for USC?

As well, what stereotypes exist for students in each school? Are girls in UCLA more attractive, are USC students more committed to academics, etc. One of the main points I'm concerned about is, which of the schools has friendly, more welcoming students (according to stereotype, or by experience)?

You could also base this on Bruins and Trojans fans. I do plan to attend that games (mainly football), and I really don't care how good the team is. But I don't want to get caught up in an Oakland Raider-like fanbase. So between the Bruins and Trojans fanbase, which one is generally seen as friendlier and more sportsmanlike (think Packers fans)?

I'm hoping to go to a school that has friendly, welcoming students who are tolerant of diversity (I've heard before that USC is somewhat racist?), and while party people aren't too bad... I'd prefer a more academic environment (not that big a factor, it's not like this is UCSD). Obviously, more attractive students is a plus (very sorry if that sounds superficial), but heck, this is Los Angeles... stereotypically though, which one has "more" attractive students?

Ha ha, I sound like a pig... I'm sorry, I don't mean it to sound that way, but I do want to know all facets of the universities before I commit myself to one, and these things you can't find in university magazines or websites. Thank you to anyone who responds!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2008, 11:47 AM

2,498 posts, read 10,073,472 times
UCLA is in a MUCH nicer neighborhood. UCLA is located in the Westwood neighborhood of Los Angeles, adjacent to the Westwood Village shops and cafes, the expensive community of Bel-Air, and just a bus ride away from the fun at Santa Monica. UCLA is just a much more desireable school location wise. USC is a beautiful campus in a really run down and sort of violent neighborhood. People (not necessarily students, just people) get shot around USC, while not so much, if ever, around UCLA.

Old 09-01-2008, 12:54 PM

513 posts, read 1,217,861 times
UCLA is also a harder school to get into.USC,you can buy your way into.Cause Of that I've always preferred UCLA.USC is also more snobbish

Old 09-01-2008, 12:58 PM

11,715 posts, read 35,005,397 times
On with the stereotypes:

UCLA = University of Caucasians Living among Asians
UCLA = University of Chinese Living Abroad

USC = University of Spoiled Children

Old 09-01-2008, 01:03 PM

1,964 posts, read 5,651,976 times
UCLA is a better academic school IMO (not that USC is bad).
UCLA has more protability throughout the nation because of its nationwide reputation, but USC is great if you want to live in LA and work in business.

Old 09-01-2008, 01:05 PM

224 posts, read 845,799 times
GO BRUINS!!!! Keep your eye on #31...the Moose...Trevor Theriot. He will surprise many this year.

Both great schools, but I wouldn't advise walking after dark in the USC area.

Old 09-01-2008, 01:25 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 6,199,027 times
UCLA...much stronger academically than USC, esp UCLA Engineering and B-School...typically kids who couldn't gain admission to Stanford/Berkeley...one of most upscale settings of any major university (rivals Stanford in poshness of setting)....young ladies are as/more attractive vs USC; some of the more attractive, ambitious ones seem to find their way to key Westside bars/hotels to earn spending money (for books of course) from the many nearby sugar daddies....generous scholarships for talented young women are worthy causes, right?

USC...often academically weak kids of semi-affluent (those not sufficiently affluent to donate enough to Stanford/Harvard to buy the admission)....awful, dangerous neighborhood (post-violent mugging surgical repairs aren't cool)....young ladies less impressive than common stereotype; not attractive enough to compensate for the weak location/academics....alumni network is rather loyal, but a lot of affluent alums who own car dealers, widget factories, etc throughout LA region, so not clear how useful are loyal alumni....most of the guys who actually own/run more important, more lucrative financial firms in BevHills attended Stanford/Berkeley/Harvard/Wharton anyway; tend to have a dim view of hiring USC grads; prob have more respect for UCLA alums...

Old 09-01-2008, 03:47 PM

5,409 posts, read 11,066,563 times
what???
man, kids these days.

each school has its specialty programs. the best life choice you can make is choosing your school of higher education based on academic programs. that should be paramount. figrue out what you want to do, what career path you want to take, and see what school fits the bill.

then you can worry about student life. besides, both schools are big enough to offer a mix of jerks, wanna be beauty queens, jocks, geeks, techies, surfers, etc.

if you are talking about sports?
USC is to UCLA
what
the Clippers are to the Lakers.

you will see more USC gear in the hood. any person with a tenous link to USC (delivery truck guys, cafateria chefs, janitors, etc etc [and their kids]) will sport some USC gear. even if they didnt go there, or kno anyone who went or goes there, people in the hood like to wear USC jerseys on game day. well at least plenty of my buddies do. thats not really the case with ucla.
that could be for several reasons. location of campus being one possibly. but all that is really insignificant.

this is los angeles.
"welcoming" people come in all shapes, colors and sizes. you will have the best and the worst on a college campus.
characterizing a student body as racist or pretentious is silly. each school has its share of bigots and snobs. evan Cal does believe it or not.

anyhow. focus on academic programs and then choose the school. if you want to go into film, go to USC. for bio anything go to ucla. each place has its strengths. (but stereotypes about student body do persist, dont buy into them. your educational trajectory should be able to speak for itself when it really counts.)

Old 09-01-2008, 05:28 PM

479 posts, read 674,207 times
Okay, you asked for generalizations...

UCLA:
World class reputation
Beautiful, modern campus
Great location (near beaches, Westwood, westside)
Better climate
Liberal/democratic, mostly
Cheaper than USC (tuition-wise)
Diverse (people from all nationalities and income classes)
Smarter student body (which also means more competition)
Better sports teams, overall. The fans are cooler (SC fans can be overly fanatical)
Can be hard to get accepted
Great looking girls (they mostly hang out on North campus)

USC:
Lousy location, surrounded by crime ridden neighborhood
Old campus
Expensive
Not too widely recognized outside of CA
More people with snobby attutudes (trust fund kids, etc.)
Conservative/republican, mainly
Nicer looking cheerleaders, but the female student body at UCLA is better
More tightly knit business network in So Cal
Easy to get into (as long as you can afford it)

IMHO, the only reason to choose USC over UCLA is if you want an undergrad business degree (UCLA doesn't offer one, though you can go with economics and take many business courses through the grad business school), if you want to go to film school, if you have a relative working at USC and can get free tuition, or if you got rejected by UCLA. No, I'm not biased

Seriously though, either school would be great. Depends what you want to do and major in. Being a liberal arts school, lots of UCLA undergrads end up going to grad school.

Last edited by mark85; 09-01-2008 at 05:44 PM..

Old 09-01-2008, 08:42 PM

2,541 posts, read 10,188,047 times
USC is quite well known throughout the country

wasnt USC ranked higher in US News college rankings (if those things mean anything)

how bad is the USC nabe?

if the nabe is horrible where do the kids hang out
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles