Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 09:47 PM

6 posts, read 9,165 times

Advertisements

Hey I am 21 and I am from Kentucky. I am wanting to move to Los Angeles, or somewhere close by....But, I am not sure where the best place is. I don't have a whole lot for rent, and I will be working 2 jobs. The job I have out there now is in West Hills. I found apartments on Wilshire Blvd. for $715, and one in Long Beach for like....$500 something. but, I just wanted to see what you guys thought about it.I know I will have a SMALL place, but that's all I'll really need. I just need parking, vuz I've heard street parking in L.A. is terrible!! I work at Kohl's, so if I need to be somewhere in southern Californis, as loing as there is a Kohl's, I can work there instead of the one in West Hills. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2008, 12:29 AM

1,714 posts, read 6,054,166 times
OK, if you're going to be working in West Hills, you don't want to be living on Wilshire or in Long Beach. The drive would spend up all your pay.

There is a Kohl's in Torrance, which isn't all that far from Long Beach. Maybe that could be an option, or maybe you could find cheap rent in the Valley. I'm not expert on the Valley, but you could possibly start by looking in Van Nuys or North Hollywood?

ETA: I just remembered the Penny Saver. Try this resource and see if it helps for cheap housing in or near West Hills: http://www.pennysaverusa.com/.

Others here will have more help. We just moved here ourselves from Kentucky. One thing that will help you, if you can get one online, is a Thomas Guide, which is a map of Los Angeles County. You will use it constantly when you once get out here, and while you are still back in Kentucky planning, it will help you to look carefully at that, and at google maps, to see how close together (or far apart) things are.

Imagine that Lexington, Louisville, and Cincinnati are all one city extending on and on, including all the area between, including all of Woodford, Franklin, Oldham, Shelby, Owen, Scott, Bourbon, Kenton, Boone, and all the rest of the counties. That doesn't quite describe it adequately, but starts to give you some sense of the scale of the city, and how far apart things are.... and it's continual city throughout. That's why you want to live near your work, or work near your house. Otherwise you spend all your time in traffic.... not what you want.

It's a beautiful place. Hope it works out for you! You can PM me if you like.

Last edited by timelesschild; 08-19-2008 at 12:41 AM..

Old 08-19-2008, 04:45 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheerGirl2005 View Post
so if I need to be somewhere in southern Californis,
Why do you want to move to Los Angeles?

Is it OK if it is anywhere in Southern California? Beaumont for example? Temecula? Victorville? There are Kohls in these places.

Old 08-19-2008, 05:33 AM

488 posts, read 1,513,094 times
Default It's LA!

I know why people on this forum are harsh on kids wanting to move out here (life is tough). I have done the "f-everything" thing many times and if it wasn't a great experience at least it was a learning experience. To me and probably most of the upstart immigrants (I mean white people too), LA is a symbol of freedom and possibilities. Your horrible experience may inform my decision as well as teach me what not to do, but don't let it be the pamphlet for LA (I spelled pamphlet right the first time)!! Where else could you fail horribly in such great weather? I would prefer to die with an LA story on my stone.

Old 08-19-2008, 08:50 AM

1,714 posts, read 6,054,166 times
No one has been harsh in this thread. Only genuinely kind and helpful. Charles is an engineer. His questions seem abrupt because they are short; but if people answer them, he has good answers. And he knows the Valley, which will be GREAT for Cheergirl.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:18 AM

5,612 posts, read 15,113,639 times
Why are you moving to California? What are you trying to accomplish by moving here? If you are simply trying to leave Kentucky, there are otehr areas to move to. But sinceyou like every other small town kid, will insist that you can only achieve success if you move to LA and your job is in West Hills, why not live in Northridge? It's very close by, and because the University is there, housing is cheaper to accommodate student's income. Plus, you'll be near people your age which will make making new friends easier. It will be easier to find a roommate situation which if you are looking in the $700 range you'll need. Good Luck.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:34 AM

5,113 posts, read 19,761,775 times
there is a Kohls in Rossmoor, which is just east of long beach. Long Beach, Los Alamitos, or Cypress will have options, though your price range seems a bit small if you don't get lucky renting from some old grandma

Old 08-19-2008, 09:44 PM

488 posts, read 1,513,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timelesschild View Post
No one has been harsh in this thread. Only genuinely kind and helpful. Charles is an engineer. His questions seem abrupt because they are short; but if people answer them, he has good answers. And he knows the Valley, which will be GREAT for Cheergirl.
You are right. I think the comments I have read on other threads were in my mind at the time. Upon re-reading this thread my reply was probably out of place. My apologies.

Old 08-19-2008, 10:14 PM

6 posts, read 9,165 times
Thanks for all of the replies. I will definitely check out everything you guys suggested. The reason I am moving to California is it is FAR AWAY from my nosy family, and my boyfriend is a surgical intern at UCLA.Even if I don't live in California for more than a year, I can say that I did. I am VERY good at saving money, and I would have a friend come with me, but they are all scared and are staying in Louisville. Oh and I am going to be going to school for nursing when I get there.

Old 08-20-2008, 01:24 PM

66 posts, read 149,284 times
Moving out to LA to work at a Kohl's??? That'd be like me wanting to move to Dixie to raise a family, only to end up working at Cracker Barrel. Anyway, you sound like someone who really wants to live in LA.

If your boyfriend's a surgical intern at UCLA, he's probably living around there. Live with him. Beg or plead or cry if you have to, because even if you find a roommate, if her rent budget is also 500-700, you're gonna be renting a total dive and your LA stay will be miserable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles