U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2008, 07:15 AM

4 posts, read 20,409 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I am a half british/half french guy (i know unusual) living and working as an expat in dubai, and seriously considering a move to Los Angeles as its a city i've visited a few times and love it.

I am 30 years old , single working as a Ship Broker (more specifically as an oil tanker broker) . Could anyone help give pointers in finding a job in this field in los angeles? i would also be open to changing career into other fields, baring in mind i have a masters and post graduates degree in business management and finance.

Alternatively i have about 300k usd in a business.

I am roughly aware of visa fromalities but would appreciate any ideas any of you could have to get me looking in the right direction.
This move would be a lifestyle move and i am not necessarily looking to match my current income (abt 210k per year in a tax free environment)

thanks in advance for your help,
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2008, 09:09 AM

1,712 posts, read 5,340,133 times
A guy with your qualifications should have no trouble finding any sort of work you are interested in finding. Long Beach is a world-class sea port, as I'm sure you are aware. LA is a city of networkers - do you have contacts here already? If so, work 'em! This is a wonderful place of opportunity.

Best of luck to you. I envy your tax-free current status.

Old 09-04-2008, 01:02 AM

thanks for the info - no thats the problem i don't really have connections in LA. but will try do so via the web and makin some spontaneous calls.

I guess i should just try putting my cv out there and see what i can get, could you suggest any recruitment agency i could talk to ?

also realise i typoed my first post , meant to say i would have abt 300k to invest in a business, if i cought for exapmple 3 subway franchises , do you think that would entitle me to a visa ?

and yes, its incredible how quickly you get used to not paying taxes...feels very natural.

thanks for your help

Old 09-04-2008, 07:46 AM

5,612 posts, read 13,237,860 times
That's a question you should ask the US consulate. I'm sure that wanting to invest in an American business will help you along since one of the qualifications is to be able to support yourself. There is no end to the types of businesses you can invest in. If you want to bolster your application, offer to invest in a "redevelopment area" (poor section of town).

Old 09-05-2008, 05:12 PM

13,692 posts, read 15,115,240 times
Tax Free status.

And you want to think about moving to the State of California where economically the governor is about to his the citizens of this state with a tax increase!

Why would anyone want to move here? I'm thinking about moving out!

200k per year would be taxed at about 30% State and Fed. You must be nuts.

Old 09-06-2008, 06:49 AM

1,070 posts, read 2,882,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex H View Post
thanks for the info - no thats the problem i don't really have connections in LA. but will try do so via the web and makin some spontaneous calls.

I guess i should just try putting my cv out there and see what i can get, could you suggest any recruitment agency i could talk to ?

also realise i typoed my first post , meant to say i would have abt 300k to invest in a business, if i cought for exapmple 3 subway franchises , do you think that would entitle me to a visa ?

and yes, its incredible how quickly you get used to not paying taxes...feels very natural.

thanks for your help
Forget Subway there are guys here who own hundreds of Subway outlets across the City.If you know anything about business this should tell you to keep clear!
I hear Panama in the best place for ships pretty good business environment to boot.

Old 09-09-2008, 08:41 AM

thanks for the investment tips and tax insight guys. I do realise im letting myself in for heaftier tax regime but this is more of a lifestyle move than career move, allthough I would'nt be adverse to making good money if i can.

Not sure whether if i bought a couple of appartments and registered them under a real estate company this could qualify me for investment visa ?

Panama would definately be a goo shipping place but not too keen on that place as idea is to move to LA. Anyways if anyone has any ideas on recruitment agencys out there please let me know would really appreciate it.

thanks for your feddbacks so far,

Old 09-09-2008, 09:08 AM

1,712 posts, read 5,340,133 times
BP America - BP careers in the United States (http://www.bp.com/genericsection.do?categoryId=4706&contentId=701050 8 - broken link)

oil tanker career los angeles - Google Maps

http://www.google.com/search?q=oil+c...e7&rlz=1I7ADBR

Those links should get you started on contacts - hope they help!

Old 09-10-2008, 01:15 AM

9 posts, read 19,580 times
Hi Alex,
Do not know a thing about the tax thing but if you live in Dubai now where it is extremely expensive then LA will be a piece of pie for you. I imagine you are single and if there is ever a place a single guy would want to be, it is here. Beautiful women everywhere from everywhere. The weather is great and cannot beat the laid back lifestyle. As long as you have some cash, you will be fine. Check out linkedin.com for some networking on jobs and shoot me an email so I can cut your hair so you can start "living the lifestyle".

Cheers,
G
giovannadavis@gmail.com

Old 09-12-2008, 04:03 AM

Thanks for the advise guys. I will look into the links you proposed timelesschild, should be really helpfull. thanks Mrs peru for the networking tips and conforting me that this is the place i want to live !! Beauifull women is like music to my Frenchman ears, can't wait to meet them all :-)

indeed dubai is becoming very expensive and you need to make serious money in order to live decently here, so its kind of like indirect taxation. anyways its also a culture issue and whether we like it or not, this is (allbeit very liberal) an islamic country and it just doesnt feel like home.

what woudl be the approx cost of renting a 1 or 2 bedroom flat in santa monica ? can you guys recommend any other parts of town with a nice community spirit ?

thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles