U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2008, 03:19 PM

14 posts, read 33,113 times

Advertisements

Hi there everybody. I'm Garrett. 22 years old.

I'm currently living in South OC (Mission Viejo) and searching for a place in Santa Monica / Hollywood. Reason being, I would ideally like to attend Santa Monica Community College although that is certainly not set in stone.

Santa Monica is close to the beach (my vice), the college is there, but it may be too expensive for me to afford right now.

Hollywood has to be cheaper to rent than in Santa Monica, right? Hollywood seems very doable, but Santa Monica would be ideal.

My question to all of you is....

Is it possible to find really good housing deals in Santa Monica / Hollywood?

I have of course researched already, but I am POsitive I could get a good deal if I jump in the car, pull out a map, track where I've been, and collect tons of "For Rent" information. I'm sure the good deals aren't really "commercial" or advertised. Which neighborhoods should I search in?

And what is the best deal you have seen on a 1-2 bedroom in either Santa Monica or Hollywood?

...and also, for an entry level LA move, what city would YOU go to?

Thanks so much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2008, 04:40 PM

13,692 posts, read 15,112,510 times
Garrett...

Factor in what your monthly income would be. You should be pocketing at bare minimum after taxes 3,500 per month to live in Santa Monica maybe more since tuition and books will not come cheap.

Food, entertainment, gas money. How far is work from where you live?

The beach isn't going anywhere. You need to be able to afford to live near the beach. Maybe you could do it with a reliable roommate.

Hollywood isn't much better. It's further from Santa Monica college so you'll be driving.

If you're thinking about an "entry" level move to Los Angeles, I wouldn't recommend it.

There's the Valley for an entry level move, but - I wouldn't recommend anyone to move to the valley.

Be realistic.

Old 09-03-2008, 05:12 PM

I work from home as a web designer, so I won't be spending too much in gas. . Id really like to go to a place where I can walk / skate to the store, to the bar, to the liquor store, etc..., so I won't be heavily relying on a car like everyone else.

I'd like to go to college, but I already have a great career and I thoroughly enjoy what I'm doing, so I would only be going to take classes that I actually want to take. I wouldn't be going for a degree.

$3500 /mth for Santa Monica? Ok.. that puts it in perspective for me. I should definitely be able to afford Hollywood at the very least if not Santa Monica.

For the move though, I don't want to get in over my head, so Hollywood would work. If anyone else has any advice for me, I'd appreciate it...and thanks LuckyGem.

Old 09-03-2008, 05:35 PM

7,091 posts, read 18,414,084 times
Do you know what you can afford for rent on a monthly basis considering your current income? $1,000 for rent is probably going to be close to the bare minimum for either a studio or to share a 2 bedroom with another person. Hollywood will be cheaper, but not much, maybe $800 per month unless you are in a real sketchy area. Hollywood is also pretty far from the beach.

Why don't you go with one of the beach communities in OC? I know they're cheaper than Santa Monica and have plenty of night life.

Old 09-03-2008, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
Do you know what you can afford for rent on a monthly basis considering your current income? $1,000 for rent is probably going to be close to the bare minimum for either a studio or to share a 2 bedroom with another person. Hollywood will be cheaper, but not much, maybe $800 per month unless you are in a real sketchy area. Hollywood is also pretty far from the beach.

Why don't you go with one of the beach communities in OC? I know they're cheaper than Santa Monica and have plenty of night life.
I can afford $2000/month in rent. Plus, my buddies are going to come up a month or two after me, so eventually I'll have 2 roommates to split the rent with.

As far as the OC goes, I am really sick of it. I tend to get along with other travelers, and most everyone in OC is from here, which I don't really like. It's not that I'm cold, I'm just over the OC. I hope you can understand. lol.

To start, I'll probably find a month-month roommate situation until I can get into my own place, unless I can afford something off the bat. What are the best neighborhoods in Hollywood for a 22 year old, tall, athletic white dude like me?

I don't want to be living in the ghetto and I'll definitely pay more for location.

Old 09-03-2008, 06:16 PM

7,091 posts, read 18,414,084 times
I totally understand where you come from actually. I spent most of my time growing up in OC, except that I was in the Fullerton/Anaheim area. I've lived in LA for three years now and worked up here for 4 years. I very much prefer LA over OC, especially the area that you are from. Not that there is anything wrong with south county, its just not for me. I currently live in Santa Monica and would recommend it to anyone who can afford it. I'm sure you would like it here as well. If you do choose hollywood though, I would consider Los Feliz rather than Hollywood. It is a nice area with a lot going on and access to Griffith Park, but it doesn't have the tourist draw that Hollywood has. I had a friend who lived 2 block from the walk of fame and I don't know how he did it. Not much in that area is geared for residents of Hollywood, its all geared towards tourists. I'm sure there are better areas, I'm just not too familiar with them.

Like I said earlier though, neither is close to the beach. Hollywood and Los Feliz are a 30 minute drive to the beach on a good day. It sounds like the beach is pretty important to you, which would make me believe that you would be much happier in Santa Monica than Hollywood. The only problem is that there are many skinny, tall white dudes in SM that you will be competing with for females at the local bars.

Old 09-03-2008, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
I totally understand where you come from actually. I spent most of my time growing up in OC, except that I was in the Fullerton/Anaheim area. I've lived in LA for three years now and worked up here for 4 years. I very much prefer LA over OC, especially the area that you are from. Not that there is anything wrong with south county, its just not for me. I currently live in Santa Monica and would recommend it to anyone who can afford it. I'm sure you would like it here as well. If you do choose hollywood though, I would consider Los Feliz rather than Hollywood. It is a nice area with a lot going on and access to Griffith Park, but it doesn't have the tourist draw that Hollywood has. I had a friend who lived 2 block from the walk of fame and I don't know how he did it. Not much in that area is geared for residents of Hollywood, its all geared towards tourists. I'm sure there are better areas, I'm just not too familiar with them.

Like I said earlier though, neither is close to the beach. Hollywood and Los Feliz are a 30 minute drive to the beach on a good day. It sounds like the beach is pretty important to you, which would make me believe that you would be much happier in Santa Monica than Hollywood. The only problem is that there are many skinny, tall white dudes in SM that you will be competing with for females at the local bars.
I know I love the beach! ....and would certainly be happier near it... but whatever, winter is coming up anyways, and I just desperately want to get out of OC and be around people my age. Mission Viejo has one 22 year old in the whole population, and it's me. jk

I'm sure I could get a roommate situation wherever I go (SM or Hollywood), but I'd of course enjoy my own place with friends and people I can trust more. Living in somebody else's house will work for now, but it's far from ideal.

Thanks for the tip about Los Feliz.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles