U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 01:46 PM

414 posts, read 1,319,606 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are strongly considering the move west from Buffalo, NY. I have friends and family in the L.A. area. I am in the residential remodeling/sales management field and have a crap load of experience and an associates degree. My wife is an elementary school teacher with a masters degree and 9 yrs of spanish language education.
We have one kid and about 25k saved. Whats the chances of a couple of 30 something, motivated people finding work? Our goal is to make 150k combined income.
I currently make about 65K a year here as a kitchen and bath designer/estimator/saleman
She is not working (the catalyst for moving)

Honest, educated opinions are what I'm looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2008, 01:55 PM

7,091 posts, read 18,417,215 times
Teaching jobs are nearly impossible to find right now due the budget cuts in education. Also, due to the burst of the real estate bubble here in CA, not many people have the money for home improvements. The spanish education could probably get your wife a good paying job in LA, but I don't see much hope for you honestly. It certainly wouldn't hurt to try though. If you could nail down a family income of $150k, you would be just fine in CA.

Old 09-05-2008, 02:29 PM

301 posts, read 1,319,229 times
If her 9 years of teaching experience were in public schools, then she could expect to start in the 45k-53k range for a public school in the LA area. Private schools would be less. Even though she has a masters, she will need to take additional course work to get a California credential. Until she earns that, she will be lower on the pay scale. Speaking spanish will help a lot, but she really needs to speak it. Not in a Peggy Hill kind of way.

Bad time of the year to look for a teaching job, since a lot of districts have just started fall session. And in general, it's a bad time to look for teaching jobs in CA, because of ongoing problems with the state budget. As a new teacher without a credential and little time in the district, she could expect to get a layoff notice next spring, and then possibly be rehired in fall. It sounds odd, but it's what most districts resort to in budget crisis. California isn't a very stable environment for teachers.

Old 09-05-2008, 04:22 PM

3,853 posts, read 11,422,302 times
Teacher and construction jobs are on the decline. People who are employed in those industries are fighting to keep their jobs.

stay in buffalo.

I am almost done with my AA in accounting and I have been looking for an accounting related job. Took me a month to get my first interview. I do have a weekend job but it only pays 9/hr in the tourism business. Been doing it for two years now and let me tell you business is definitely down I'd say at least 25%. I would be screwed if I didn't live with my parents! That is why I need to leave CA when I graduate from school. Wages aren't high enough to afford high cost of living here.

Old 09-06-2008, 06:17 AM

4,007 posts, read 9,885,827 times
I was a teacher in LAUSD for 16 years. I plan to return as soon as DH agrees to move back. He is an accountant. (to the previous poster, I can't see that an AA will get your much in accounting. DH has his MA and has never had a problem getting very good jobs.)

Anyway, to the OP, DM me if you want more info on teaching in LA.

You can check the LAUSD website for salary scales.

http://www.teachinla.com/Research/do...les/ttable.pdf

If she actually uses her Spanish bilingual daily, she may qualify for a differential in addition to her salary.

Dawn

Old 09-06-2008, 03:55 PM

1 posts, read 2,861 times
Default Teaching in LA

Here is a link to a site that you can search the current open positions in LA County. You can choose to look at all the counties in Cali. You will need a Master's degree here to make a comfortable living.

[URL]http://www.edjoin.org/[/URL]

Old 09-07-2008, 03:15 PM

414 posts, read 1,319,606 times
thanks. That will help.

Old 09-07-2008, 04:40 PM

2,516 posts, read 7,548,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
Teaching jobs are nearly impossible to find right now due the budget cuts in education. Also, due to the burst of the real estate bubble here in CA, not many people have the money for home improvements. The spanish education could probably get your wife a good paying job in LA, but I don't see much hope for you honestly. It certainly wouldn't hurt to try though. If you could nail down a family income of $150k, you would be just fine in CA.
this is really not true, but it is what the teachers' unions and the folks in sacramento would like you to believe. i work with school districts and i know a number of schools that were scrambling to fill multiple vacancies before the start of school last week. one of them was even looking for an art teacher, of all things! a teacher with spanish language ability will not only have no trouble finding a job in LA county, she will get paid a stipend for bilingual (BCLAD) certification.

Old 09-07-2008, 05:29 PM

6 posts, read 16,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
this is really not true, but it is what the teachers' unions and the folks in sacramento would like you to believe. i work with school districts and i know a number of schools that were scrambling to fill multiple vacancies before the start of school last week. one of them was even looking for an art teacher, of all things! a teacher with spanish language ability will not only have no trouble finding a job in LA county, she will get paid a stipend for bilingual (BCLAD) certification.
Teachers unions are the ones who have been pumping the 'teacher shortage' myth all these years and have not been telling people to stay out of the education field in the surplus areas. (Everything but special ed, math and science) Please give more details on what these vacancies were, I sincerely doubt they were for elementary classroom teachers BCLAD or otherwise.

Coming from out of state she will have to go through the course work or tests for the BCLAD which is a long process. When I came from out of state last year it took Sacramento 6 months to get a simple CA reciprocal certificate processed and in my hands. No district would even look at me before I had it and had jumped through all the other CA hoops like the CBEST and CLAD.

While the Spanish skills are a bonus they matter very little if you are looking for an elementary job. There just aren't any available. As an example, LAUSD hasn't accepted applications for elementary jobs for a few years now.

If you want to go the private or charter school route you might fair better, less restrictions and so forth. They generally pay considerably less than public districts. You might get lucky, who knows. But I would like to spare people all the headaches and disrespect I had to go through coming from out of state trying to land a teaching job here in SoCal.

Old 09-08-2008, 01:24 AM

1,749 posts, read 7,544,963 times
Teaching jobs are not my area of expertise but I'm told private schools are the places for the best teaching jobs.

As for Construction industry, one aspect is overlooked over and over in these forums...housing may be down but Commercial is BOOMING! That's the direction to go right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or