U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 10:35 PM

47 posts, read 81,787 times

Advertisements

I recently moved to Granada Hills (Lovely neighborhood and beautiful house up on the hillside) from Ohio. I'm originally from Chicago though.

I read a lot of comments on here and other forums about the people out here in California and how the are rude and unfriendly, but so far I've experienced quit the opposite. Everyone has been super friendly and very helpful. Smiling and polite. I haven't noticed any hardship between races or anything. I've never experienced such thing in Ohio or Chicago.

So, why do I continue to hear negative remarks about LA and the people? I've had a wonderful experience so far. I love the area I live in, the neighborhood, the friendly neighbors, it's very quiet, it's not as busy as I thought it would be. I'm surprised to see that Granada Hills and Northridge are so low on peoples "nice areas to live" list.

Am I missing something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2008, 10:44 PM

1,712 posts, read 5,339,416 times
Oh, lots of people on this forum like to bash LA.

Don't pay them any mind. Most Angelenos are out happily living their lives, being super friendly and helpful, smiling and polite, just as you have noticed...

I'm new here too, and totally enjoying it. This is a wonderful place.

Old 09-05-2008, 10:44 PM

1,204 posts, read 3,909,331 times
Good question. I expected everyone to be rude when I got here... exact opposite.

Old 09-06-2008, 01:36 AM

3,721 posts, read 3,322,517 times
You ever heard the expression "misery loves company"? Best way to describe some of these peeps. They reckon themselves to be experts on everything..... LA is what you make it to be. I lived there for over 15 years and seen the good and bad side of LA life. Would I live there again? If I had to yes, but my next move will be small town/country with lots of acres and goats, chickens and growing my own vegetables .

Last edited by Raggy dee Ann; 09-06-2008 at 02:19 AM..

Old 09-06-2008, 02:11 AM

488 posts, read 1,303,079 times
I love this stuff. What you want is what you get. This is a beautiful town with beautiful people. I feel bad for the negative folks. Wake up! Wake up! Wake up! Wake up!

Old 09-06-2008, 06:02 AM

26,346 posts, read 80,751,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomMusing View Post

I read a lot of comments on here and other forums about the people out here in California and how the are rude and unfriendly, but so far I've experienced quit the opposite.
Actually, I don't read a lot of comments about people in California being rude and unfriendly - or at least not any more rude and unfriendly than people elsewhere; could you (the original poster) please post (quote) some of them to substantiate this?

More often the negative comments are about housing prices and traffic.

Last edited by Charles; 09-06-2008 at 06:12 AM..

Old 09-06-2008, 06:09 AM

4,007 posts, read 9,885,827 times
I think people in CA are very friendly. You deal with rude people, but there are unhappy people everywhere.

I also am surprized at the number of folks posting on this site. There really aren't that many, so you have to take with a grain of salt what happens here. I almost wonder if most of the bitter/unhappy folks comprise 80% of the posters who just need a place to vent.

Dawn

Last edited by DawnW; 09-06-2008 at 06:19 AM..

Old 09-06-2008, 09:23 AM

12,977 posts, read 28,798,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomMusing View Post
I read a lot of comments on here and other forums about the people out here in California and how the are rude and unfriendly, but so far I've experienced quit the opposite. Everyone has been super friendly and very helpful. Smiling and polite. I haven't noticed any hardship between races or anything. I've never experienced such thing in Ohio or Chicago.

So, why do I continue to hear negative remarks about LA and the people? I've had a wonderful experience so far. I love the area I live in, the neighborhood, the friendly neighbors, it's very quiet, it's not as busy as I thought it would be. I'm surprised to see that Granada Hills and Northridge are so low on peoples "nice areas to live" list.

Am I missing something?
Glad you are enjoying LA. I was born and raised here and will more than likely live here the rest of my life. I LOOOVE my hometown.

The people who you see here that bash LA are the people who move here from other parts of the country with hopes of either making it "big" in entertainment or "to party". The only want to live in the areas that they "think" are nice based on what they see on TV. Because they have no skills or no degrees, they find it difficult to find good paying work, thus, they have difficulty in finding an affordable place to live based on their income. You see it all the time here, people posting "I want to move to Santa Monica, Studio City, Sherman Oaks, West LA ..." because they think those are the areas for "entertainment" types but they cant afford the rent there.

When they find out the rent is too expensive for them, the end up either struggling to find roommates or they live in areas that may be less desirable so they complain "LA is too expensive" or "I hate LA" when they really mean, that they hate that they cannot afford to live in the nicer areas of LA.

Granada Hills is nice with some very nice homes and since the transplants only know of the entertainment cities (Burbank, Studio City, Santa Monica, Sherman Oaks, etc.) they fail to understand how nice other parts can be.

Old 09-06-2008, 09:59 AM

1,398 posts, read 6,018,519 times
RandomMusing, you'll actually find consensus on this L.A. forum about two things: one, potential relocators should visit here first to check the whole, huge L.A. basin area out, rather than buy into L.A. myths or generalities ( i.e., Dabeez post above); and two, the people who most adore what they find in Los Angeles live in more upscale communities, have great jobs and/or no children. L.A. is fun for those who can cocoon themselves in the sunshine. (Northridge retains vestigial "bad rep" from its horrifying '94 earthquake, not reality.)

Those less likely to be boosters are those with less income, who'll daily actually be encountering the aspects of L.A. that have deteriorated so much away from the nice bedroom communities. We've resided in Los Angeles for over five decades, currently in a working class neighborhood (we are a teacher/freelancer couple), and personally have witnessed the growth here and all over similar L.A. neighborhoods of gang violence, blight, lack of any English understood, vandalism, public schools undermined by 70% ESL, congestion and badly planned high-density. We'd probably share your cheerful mien if we could ever afford to live in toney Granada Hills; as we can't, our only option is eventually to move out of L.A. to locales where housing prices give one a better quality of life and afford more personal safety. I'm glad you are one of the lucky ones: welcome to that Los Angeles.

Old 09-07-2008, 05:23 PM

2,516 posts, read 7,548,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
Glad you are enjoying LA. I was born and raised here and will more than likely live here the rest of my life. I LOOOVE my hometown.

The people who you see here that bash LA are the people who move here from other parts of the country with hopes of either making it "big" in entertainment or "to party". The only want to live in the areas that they "think" are nice based on what they see on TV. Because they have no skills or no degrees, they find it difficult to find good paying work, thus, they have difficulty in finding an affordable place to live based on their income. You see it all the time here, people posting "I want to move to Santa Monica, Studio City, Sherman Oaks, West LA ..." because they think those are the areas for "entertainment" types but they cant afford the rent there.

When they find out the rent is too expensive for them, the end up either struggling to find roommates or they live in areas that may be less desirable so they complain "LA is too expensive" or "I hate LA" when they really mean, that they hate that they cannot afford to live in the nicer areas of LA.

Granada Hills is nice with some very nice homes and since the transplants only know of the entertainment cities (Burbank, Studio City, Santa Monica, Sherman Oaks, etc.) they fail to understand how nice other parts can be.

truer words have never been spoken. everyone i know who can actually afford to live in LA loves it. the people who are least satisfied with the place they live (whether it be LA or elsewhere) tend to be those who are unable to find well-paying work, for whatever reason. i once lived in san francisco under those circumstances, and came home bad-mouthing it, too. however, my objective self knows that if one has the money and doesn't mind the **** weather and loopy politics, san francisco is a great place to live. you couldn't have told me that 15 years ago, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or