Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2008, 06:59 PM

1 posts, read 2,227 times

Advertisements

My husband recently got orders to move to LA AFB. We do not want to live on base. He heard from his co-workers El Segundo has the best school district . . . wondering if this is true? Also I am an RN currently working in an ED. I would like to continue working in the ED . . was wondering what hospitals are in the area for an easy commute from El Segundo, (I have been commuting to Orlando, which is an hour away from where I currently live now) and what is the average pay for a RN with a BSN? Hoping to rent a home with an average rental rate of $2,700 to 3,400, if anyone could recommend a rental property management company that could help with house search, (preferably reputable)

Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2008, 07:04 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callorado5 View Post
He heard from his co-workers El Segundo has the best school district . . . wondering if this is true?

Red is bad. Blue is good.

California School Performance Maps

Old 09-06-2008, 07:07 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,194,951 times
you should definitely be able to find something in your price range. check losangeles.craisgslist.org and search for any of the south bay communities (el segundo, manhattan beach, hermose beach, and redondo beach), all are a reasonable distance from the LA AFB and have good schools. I'm not sure about the salaries for nurses, but nearby hospitals are the Daniel Freeman hospital in Marina Del Rey and Centinela Hospital in Inglewood. I'm sure there are more in the south bay area, but I'm not sure of any off hand. There are also a few in Santa Monica (St. John's and UCLA), but that commute may be longer than what you are willing to deal with. Good Luck!

Old 09-06-2008, 07:11 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,438,053 times
Yes, El Segundo is a very good school district. Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach, and Redondo Beach also have good schools. El Segundo and Manhattan Beach are closest to the base for your husband, but the others are very reasonable also. You should be able to find something in your price range.

Nurising is also a good job here in CA. There is high demand and you have a low patient limit. I believe there are some other RN's on this board who can help with the direct hospital related stuff.

Old 09-12-2008, 02:05 PM

6 posts, read 30,013 times
Don't mean to derail the thread, but I didn't think it was worth starting a new one to ask this question. Besides, I figured the OP may find the information useful as well.

I'm new to LA myself, and I generally hear "South Redondo is better than North Redondo."

Just HOW much better is it? From the limited amount of research that I've done, it seems like North Redondo is still where many families choose to live because it's more affordable. However, its proximity to less desirable neighborhoods like Lawndale is of some concern. Personally, would you feel comfortable raising a family in North Redondo Beach...particularly in the area north of Artesia Blvd?

Thanks in advance.

Old 09-12-2008, 04:03 PM

672 posts, read 2,175,312 times
Torrance would be okay, too. Schools are acceptable. Cheaper than the beach cities.

Old 09-12-2008, 04:12 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,428,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyridame View Post
Don't mean to derail the thread, but I didn't think it was worth starting a new one to ask this question. Besides, I figured the OP may find the information useful as well.

I'm new to LA myself, and I generally hear "South Redondo is better than North Redondo."

Just HOW much better is it? From the limited amount of research that I've done, it seems like North Redondo is still where many families choose to live because it's more affordable. However, its proximity to less desirable neighborhoods like Lawndale is of some concern. Personally, would you feel comfortable raising a family in North Redondo Beach...particularly in the area north of Artesia Blvd?

Thanks in advance.
I'd rather live in Lawndale than North Redondo.

Old 09-12-2008, 04:28 PM

6 posts, read 30,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I'd rather live in Lawndale than North Redondo.
Care to venture a couple reasons to help out a LA newb?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles