U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 09:12 PM

1 posts, read 1,627 times

Advertisements

This is all pretty funny so let me dispel some rumors.

1) I am one of the evil AH-64 pilots in the Army. I born and raised in Santa Clarita Valley and grew up walking to the air shows at Van Nuys from my grandparents place near the airport. I was stationed out at Fort Irwin, near Barstow, and when I could work in a training flight that took me over the valley I would. Is there anyone here that would not do the same thing if given the opportunity? The airspace in the entire LA basin is tight and it is especially bad around Van Nuys. Once you climb in altitude you are intruding on both Van Nuys, Burbanks, and LAX controlled airspace. To avoid any issues, helicopter of all types can use an established low level route that basically overflies the freeways. The altitude over the freeways dictate that you fly between 200-500ft if you want to avoid talking to all the control towers. Van Nuys is a popular fuel stop and I have refueled there a couple of times. When you transition from the freeways to the airport you are supposed to be at least 500ft by FAA rules. However, to fly friendly they should be higher.

2) The news (KTLA, KCAL, KTTV) wouldn’t cover such flights because they are pretty common, you just don’t see them in a big city. I probably flew downtown a half dozen times while I was there and that was just me.

3) A visit from the President would not prompt preemptive flights from attack helicopters. For one thing, the military doesn’t have enough to go around to have some flying ahead of everywhere the president would want to go. For a second thing, the LAPD is much more qualified to perform security for the President. They know the “normal” activity in the area and can tell when something is amiss. I could only tell you that LA has a lot of cars and I could try to look mean.

I’m not saying their aren’t military secrets, there absolutely are and for good reason. However, everything you all have described here is normal military flight activity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2010, 06:29 PM

1 posts, read 1,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuzindwight View Post

Iím not saying their arenít military secrets, there absolutely are and for good reason.
I'll say.

Old 09-22-2010, 05:16 PM

269 posts, read 678,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuzindwight View Post
This is all pretty funny so let me dispel some rumors.

1) I am one of the evil AH-64 pilots in the Army. I born and raised in Santa Clarita Valley and grew up walking to the air shows at Van Nuys from my grandparents place near the airport. I was stationed out at Fort Irwin, near Barstow, and when I could work in a training flight that took me over the valley I would. Is there anyone here that would not do the same thing if given the opportunity? The airspace in the entire LA basin is tight and it is especially bad around Van Nuys. Once you climb in altitude you are intruding on both Van Nuys, Burbanks, and LAX controlled airspace. To avoid any issues, helicopter of all types can use an established low level route that basically overflies the freeways. The altitude over the freeways dictate that you fly between 200-500ft if you want to avoid talking to all the control towers. Van Nuys is a popular fuel stop and I have refueled there a couple of times. When you transition from the freeways to the airport you are supposed to be at least 500ft by FAA rules. However, to fly friendly they should be higher.

2) The news (KTLA, KCAL, KTTV) wouldnít cover such flights because they are pretty common, you just donít see them in a big city. I probably flew downtown a half dozen times while I was there and that was just me.

3) A visit from the President would not prompt preemptive flights from attack helicopters. For one thing, the military doesnít have enough to go around to have some flying ahead of everywhere the president would want to go. For a second thing, the LAPD is much more qualified to perform security for the President. They know the ďnormalĒ activity in the area and can tell when something is amiss. I could only tell you that LA has a lot of cars and I could try to look mean.

Iím not saying their arenít military secrets, there absolutely are and for good reason. However, everything you all have described here is normal military flight activity.

Why did you have to tell them? I was having such a blast reading this crazy thread

Old 09-22-2010, 06:36 PM

1,078 posts, read 2,772,264 times
Man!
Now I have to retire my tin foil hat

Old 09-22-2010, 06:51 PM

7,150 posts, read 8,470,199 times
kuzindwight is just trying to throw you all off track ... this is part of the Canadian invasion I've been warning folks about for years ... they send the cold, miserable weather generated by a secret facility up in the NW Territories ... then they use these choppers, painted to look like U.S. military, to "fan" the bad weather around. When it happens on a hot day, they are just practicing and being visible so no one will catch on ... but next time there's a cold wind in S. California there will be helicopters somewhere in the region adding to the effect ... and you'll all realize the threat is real.

Old 09-23-2010, 03:11 PM

15,370 posts, read 25,573,172 times
I saw three military helicopters flying overhead a while ago. What do you all think it means? Oh and I have seen them in the area many times before. Do you think this is practice run for when they take over the place?

Then again it could be because I live just North of a Naval air base and they make trips to Vandenburg from time to time. LOL

Old 09-23-2010, 09:01 PM

23,605 posts, read 30,327,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I saw three military helicopters flying overhead a while ago. What do you all think it means? Oh and I have seen them in the area many times before. Do you think this is practice run for when they take over the place?

Then again it could be because I live just North of a Naval air base and they make trips to Vandenburg from time to time. LOL
Ooh! Spent my youth and my first 20 adult years on and around military air fields and bases. Y'all's right. It's all a plot. They're comin' ta git us, every one!

Old 09-25-2010, 02:40 PM

1,994 posts, read 3,060,678 times
Could be responding to Alien phenomenon.

Old 09-15-2012, 01:46 AM

1 posts, read 1,104 times
Default Looking for more information

Hi, I had a very close encounter with what I think was some sort of military exercise about a quarter mile or so behind my house.

I'm typically up late and I usually leave my window open all night for fresh air. I always hear police helicopters flying over on Fridays and Saturdays and I know exactly what the LAPD patrol chopper looks like. Over the past year I've been seeing a lot of military activity from Chinooks flying over the valley east-to-west to what I believe to have been some sort of jet aircraft doing low-altitude maneuvers. Tonight at around 8 o'clock my friend and I drove to a trailhead located at the intersection of Vanalden Ave. and Gleneagles Dr. As we approached the intersection we saw a helicopter land on a nearby hilltop. I know there aren't any helipads up there and this was confirmed when I saw the rotor wash as it approached the ground. It hovered for about a minute and I believe that it dropped some people off. We got out of the car and started walking towards the trail and as we transitioned from pavement to dirt the helicopter took off and flew to the west near the ocean.

We stood there talking about it for about one minute and I noticed to the south-east a bright light coming over the horizon of a distant hill. That is when I began filming this video: [url=http://youtu.be/ay4-bix7hcI]mov - YouTube[/url]

After it buzzed us the first time it again flew over the same place where it had landed and returned a short time later making another pass, but much lower this time (about 200-300 feet off of the ground) which is when I filmed this video: [url=http://youtu.be/k0WSSZcutuk]mov2 - YouTube[/url]

At the end of that video a late model SUV approached us from behind, but we were sitting behind a small embankment so I do not believe that it saw us. Its lights washed over us and it remained there for an uncomfortably long time before driving off. The helicopter continued to circle about nine or ten times, decreasing its altitude with each pass.

We stood beneath a tree to shield ourselves from the spotlight or whatever it was and in-between passes we left the area.

I've seen a lot of strange things happening this year in this area and its been getting more and more strange as time goes on. I searched for "helicopters over woodland hills ca" and found this topic.

Was wondering if anybody ever found out what exactly was happening because my experience was somewhat intimidating.

Old 09-15-2012, 10:53 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,493,456 times
I wouldn't consider any of that amiss. Why would they scramble Chinooks if something went wrong? lol IMO, it's just regular military movements and other things. The Airspace over LA is HEAVILY controlled, to avoid interfering with Air Traffic Control procedures there are low altitude airways that are used. This goes on in El Paso daily, F/A-18s, F-15's, F-22's, Apaches, Blackhawks...etc making very low and VERY loud passes over the east side is nothing new. In fact something is wrong when it isn't happening. Most of the time it's training. That's what the military does, they train, train and then train some more. If you aren't familiar with the military, it's equipment, movement and SOPs then it's best to not make too many assumptions. We used to call the Navy and Marine F-18's for a "show of force" in Afghanistan. They would come in 50-100 ft off the deck, full afterburner and balls to the wall. Seeing and hearing that will make you believe in God. Trust me. Them just flying around is rather benign.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or