Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 08:40 PM

1,072 posts, read 845,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius Mommy View Post
I attend the La Canada YMCA and am very satisfied with the babysitting department. I have never been to another Y so I couldn't say they are all this great but I know that the babysitters at the La Canada ymca, interact with my children (coloring,puzzles,and games) I don't think them being in High School really has a defect on the way they watch our children, especially if they are 18. The whole fingerprinting thing is really the YMCA's fault, not the babysitters.

WOW ! LaCanada ! Now don't take this the wrong way, please, but,
OF COURSE La Canada is gonna watch their employees. Lots of supers in suits around there. Lots of members rattling their jewelry to get attention.
Big donors to a non profit don't come from Compton. They come from places like LaCanada and Palisaides...get it ? Unfortunatly you can't really use a place like that as a comparrison in aspects of quality. That is just reality of life. For example, that large grocery retailer didn't get busted for selling poor meat to a lacanda neighborhood. It was in east LA somewhere...get it ?

But, no the High School aspect per se does not necessarily have alot to do with a problem with care of young children but your mixing immaturity with the care of young kids. Any time you've got children watching children you've got to be diligent with your adult supervision as backup. And since you're at best working with "young" adults who may be new to the work world you've got to have adult management who can be consistent and efficient with what is expected of the employee. Otherwise , like unruly children they will walk all over everyone in site. And if you've got ANY such poorly run business, the customer is last. And tooo bad for us, we got screwed with just that. BTW, the YMCA in our experience has had issues with their child care dept. too. For example, on an excursion to a theme park when the seats on a "ride" filled all but one space, the counselor hopped in and left a single child alone to "wait for us to get back" at the cue. To the Supers' in charge, it was blown off with, "the theme park security would have kicked in if the child disappeared ", was what the parent got in return for their shock and dismay at this counselors decision to leave the child unsupervised !!
Such distorted thinking at the management level when it comes to diligence in safety screams systemic disfunction. The children are not first on their minds. I'll trust my kids to an establishment that does put the kids first especially when they CLAIM to. get it ? Not one that makes "C" "D" or "F" level effort when parent concerns arise.

But I am not sure what you mean by the fingerprinting thing ??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2007, 09:05 PM

Quote:
I attend the La Canada YMCA and am very satisfied with the babysitting department. I have never been to another Y so I couldn't say they are all this great but I know that the babysitters at the La Canada ymca, interact with my children (coloring,puzzles,and games) I don't think them being in High School really has a defect on the way they watch our children, especially if they are 18. The whole fingerprinting thing is really the YMCA's fault, not the babysitters.

BTW are you the same AquMom that recently joined a currently locked community Forum ? You must be friends with SAL.

In everything there is a purpose. This site is great ! Welcome !!

I'm really wondering about your comment re: the fingerprinting.
Fault ?
The only thing that would jell with my comment to fingerprinting issues and the Y are the age issue. Do you think they have hired underage/not fingerprinted for the Fed requirement and those working with children in the not so plush facilities. Risky business if it is walking a fine line between legal requirements and job title and actual job responsibility. But sometimes money is more important. Saving money I mean.
I am sure you would 'nt purposely detract from an issue that put kids at risk just to be a "friend", or "good" employee , or mindless " member " Not if you really are a mom that is. Like they always say on TV, "it could very easily happen to your kids. " Los Angeles is full of stories like that isn't it ?
People always think it wont happen to them. And money in Los Angeles always clouds an issue, doesn't it !?

Old 10-09-2007, 08:54 PM

7 posts, read 40,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHATTY CATHY View Post
BTW are you the same AquMom that recently joined a currently locked community Forum ? You must be friends with SAL.

In everything there is a purpose. This site is great ! Welcome !!

I'm really wondering about your comment re: the fingerprinting.
Fault ?
The only thing that would jell with my comment to fingerprinting issues and the Y are the age issue. Do you think they have hired underage/not fingerprinted for the Fed requirement and those working with children in the not so plush facilities. Risky business if it is walking a fine line between legal requirements and job title and actual job responsibility. But sometimes money is more important. Saving money I mean.
I am sure you would 'nt purposely detract from an issue that put kids at risk just to be a "friend", or "good" employee , or mindless " member " Not if you really are a mom that is. Like they always say on TV, "it could very easily happen to your kids. " Los Angeles is full of stories like that isn't it ?
People always think it wont happen to them. And money in Los Angeles always clouds an issue, doesn't it !?

First of all ... who is SAL ? I was approached by a man with an English
accent that gave me a little slip of paper advertising for some community forum. Was his name Sal ? because I can't for the life of me remember what his name was. That was way back and when I finally got around to signing up, it had been shut down with all of the topics locked. I wonder if another community forum has started ? do you know of any ? I like this forum, but its just too busy and I cant keep up on all the topics.

I did mention the fingerprinting because I have seen some young
(younger than 18 yrs) babysitters at the Y. I'm sure the Y doesn't make a habit of hiring babysitters under 18 yrs but they have always acted professional with me and I honestly believe they love kids. But from one mom to another, if I wanted to hire a babysitter for an evening , how would I know anything about her and her background ? How would you know she if she was fingerprinted ? I suppose trust plays a major part right ?
Trusting the person that referred her to you. Trust plays a part in our everyday lives. I have little ones still, and get really anxious at the thought of when they go to school and have to put my trust in the teacher. The thought scares me to death .. like you said people don't think it could happen to them.
Since you mentioned you were an educator for 20 years, I'm sure you have come across parents who weren't please with your performance. am I right ? It is just impossible to keep 100% of the people happy 100% of the time. It's perfectly normal , there is always going to be someone you **** off.

Anyways, I really hope you can find some peace with all of this.
Your posts seemed very angry to me .

Time to crash, this mommy is tired !

Diane

Old 10-09-2007, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Since you mentioned you were an educator for 20 years, I'm sure you have come across parents who weren't please with your performance. am I right ? It is just impossible to keep 100% of the people happy 100% of the time. It's perfectly normal , there is always going to be someone you **** off.

Anyways, I really hope you can find some peace with all of this.
Your posts seemed very angry to me .

Diane
My kids are safe and sound and I am way at peace with this. My family did the right thing and perhaps you have us to thank for a safer situation, greater diligence, while YOUR kids are being watched. MAYBE you will be a stand up kinda person someday and pass on the good deed. Pay attention and speak up if you think things are not as they should be. Anywhere. It's just good practice to make our entire world a better place.

BTW , those who are in the wrong are not at peace. THEY are very very very angry that they were "caught". And NOT at all sorry for their behavior.

BTW I never, "picked" on kids or ridiculed them then picked up a paycheck.
Or lied on the job. Any job. Anyone caught lying can no longer be trusted and if such behavior is blown off by the "top" they are liers too.
(That is not perfectly normal behavior by anyones standards, let alone those who work with kids. gee.

What I did do with my life...I educated children and backed up the discipline expected by the parents.
Any .1 of a percent problem parents I had were strictly nut cases.
Sorry , I am actually that good.

Well nighty night, I have to do baths and bed-time as well.

Moderator cut: Please don't mention competing sites, unless by DM

Last edited by gizmo980; 10-11-2007 at 04:01 AM..

Old 10-09-2007, 10:54 PM

253 posts, read 1,106,988 times
Red face It should be ok for didferent people to express their different points of views

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHATTY CATHY View Post
My kids are safe and sound and I am way at peace with this. My family did the right thing and perhaps you have us to thank for a safer situation, greater diligence, while YOUR kids are being watched. MAYBE you will be a stand up kinda person someday and pass on the good deed. Pay attention and speak up if you think things are not as they should be. Anywhere. It's just good practice to make our entire world a better place.

BTW , those who are in the wrong are not at peace. THEY are very very very angry that they were "caught". And NOT at all sorry for their behavior.

BTW I never, "picked" on kids or ridiculed them then picked up a paycheck.
Or lied on the job. Any job. Anyone caught lying can no longer be trusted and if such behavior is blown off by the "top" they are liers too.
(That is not perfectly normal behavior by anyones standards, let alone those who work with kids. gee.

What I did do with my life...I educated children and backed up the discipline expected by the parents.
Any .1 of a percent problem parents I had were strictly nut cases.
Sorry , I am actually that good.

Well nighty night, I have to do baths and bed-time as well.
Moderator cut: Orphaned
Moderator cut: Personal The bottom line is that children shouldn't be put in harms way but perhaps not all of the Y's are the same. Maybe the one she use is a good one. I know the one that my kids (when I also taught) went to was also good. Please dont bash me because I share the other posters point of view.

Last edited by gizmo980; 10-11-2007 at 04:39 AM..

Old 10-10-2007, 05:45 PM

Thumbs up it's intellectual, not personal

Moderator cut: Orphaned
Anyway, right is right and wrong is wrong.
I am expressing MY experience and my conclusions in a thought provoking, grounded , conscientious manner. Children watching children is not a good recipe when over-sight and supervision of all the children is lax. As a parent you cant agree with that ?

Did you not read the other poster (PurdueGirls) opinion ? I hadn't even told our story and hers is nearly identical , and way longer and in much more detail too LOL . No it is not funny That LOL I take back.
Moderator cut: Personal

Again, maybe thru our unfortunate experience and having the courage to speak up instead of worrying that others will think we are "nut cases flipping out, " more and more of these facilities will improve. Like I said, have the courage to speak out ANYWHERE if as a parent you are not comfortable with your childs care.
My children and I were targeted there for speaking out, just like you sound like you are targeting me now, by claiming you are afraid of me , terrified speechless because I wont back down, or be quiet. ?? ..that is what our local YMCA wanted us to do. Leave quietly without alerting too many more people of the problems. Only thing is, we were alerted before our incidence and we didn't listen. We watched and waited and enjoyed our time there till BAM ! Talk about conspiracy. All of a sudden those whispering and mumbling displeasure to us first, fell by the wayside when we made our concerns formal.

So I guess my sum upance is ...one bad apple CAN ruin the whole barrel.

Have a great day !

Last edited by gizmo980; 10-11-2007 at 04:39 AM.. Reason: clarify reference to add'l OP

Old 10-10-2007, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurdueGirl View Post
The reason why the YMCA here is a "revolving door" of staff is because almost nobody that is REALISTICALLY minimally qualified will work at the YMCA for the pennies that they pay us, and be treated the way that the YMCA treats us.
I still don't understand why the Y is targeted in this area .
The "revolving door" happens more in retail and grocery stores.
When I go to the market I never see the same bagger twice,
and I go pretty regularly.
If you are getting paid minimum wage and something better comes
along that pays more, wouldnt you rather go for the higher paying job ?
I know I would.

I understand that CHATTY CATHY is passionate about the
care of her children and I commend her for that ! We should all be
as diligent as she . . but there is a point where you have to
let it go already .. Enough is enough .. move on .. get over it ..
what's done is done .. it's over ..
learn from this experience and never let it happen again .

Diane

Old 10-11-2007, 02:08 PM

Quote:
I still don't understand why the Y is targeted in this area .
The "revolving door" happens more in retail and grocery stores.
When I go to the market I never see the same bagger twice,
and I go pretty regularly.
If you are getting paid minimum wage and something better comes
along that pays more, wouldnt you rather go for the higher paying job ?
I know I would.

I understand that CHATTY CATHY is passionate about the
care of her children and I commend her for that ! We should all be
as diligent as she . . but there is a point where you have to
let it go already .. Enough is enough .. move on .. get over it ..
what's done is done .. it's over ..
learn from this experience and never let it happen again .

Diane
I think revolving door usually means there is question involving motivation to remain on the job.
Money is usually the main reason people leave one job for another I think.
I don't worry so much about who is bagging my groceries as to who is caring for my child and how they are treated as an employee on the job.
See, IMO care of kids shouldn't be the bottom line ($$) My husband says I am living in a fantasy world if I think it will ever be any different. Just worry about our own kids and let the others find out on their own. That is the hard part to move on from. You know it's not like wanting to let others know about a lousy dry cleaners in the area...from getting my clothes ruined and a business who wouldn't take responsibility for it. ya know ??
When kids are involved , as a parent, it makes me uncomfortable seeing so many new faces in and out the door and certainly not good for young children who form attachments, altho kids are quite flexible, aren't they and accepting too .

Thanks for the reminder to "move on" , I have, but will always offer my opinion on the bigger picture.
I came back here to respond to you and open discussion on the bigger issue. When I am asked about it, again, I give my honest opinion. I think to turn my back completely on the issue we experienced would be irresponsible.

BTW any personal remarks by me to you were as an expression of a perceived coincidence aka connection. I do believe there was a melt down somewhere in interpretation and the topic got lost. Anyway, one last question, why do you drive to La Canada when there is another Y closer to you if , I have my locale correct ?
cathy

Old 10-11-2007, 07:25 PM

I am in La Crescenta , in the middle of the two and
just choose the LaCanda one. I think with the price of my
membership , I can go to both .. but gonna have to
ask to make sure. It would be nice to go somewhere
different for a change because it gets crowded there often.
Not to mention sometimes the members can be snooty.

Do you work out there or one of the other two in
the area ?

Diane

Old 10-11-2007, 10:30 PM

Quote:
I am in La Crescenta , in the middle of the two and
just choose the LaCanda one. I think with the price of my
membership , I can go to both .. but gonna have to
ask to make sure. It would be nice to go somewhere
different for a change because it gets crowded there often.
Not to mention sometimes the members can be snooty.

Do you work out there or one of the other two in
the area ?

Diane
Well, not that I would go to either unless they hang out a sign "under new management " La Canada is a little toooo tense for me. I get stressed out in the parking lot like I'm not parking fast enough ! Then when I am loading up 3 kids I get the "'stare" reserved for the Mall Parking lot at Christmas LOL !!!
S-Tujunga is wayyy more laid back, parking and surrounding street is an accident waiting to happen and the facility itself is too close to the street for our comfort...as in whomever could walk in and out easily and there isn't exactly a feeling of safety from the young staff at nite.

I know quite a few who go to La Canada and are happy there. One who quit then went back and said it is a little better (see above posts ) then "before"
but like I said, in La Canada they clean up the mess faster . They didnt know what to do when the *&@# hit the fan at the other one. I just don't recommend you take your little ones (are they little ?) to the babysitting at nite. I havn't heard much has changed. Mornings are ok tho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles